|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is a Caesarian section typically performed in the case of a woman giving birth?
2. What does a fuller do?
3. Who are the only types of people not allowed to be married?
4. How is time kept throughout the day in Troyes?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the tools of a midwife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is wool processed?
2. How might a woman prepare herself when she wakes up?
3. Describe what a blacksmith does.
4. What do Jews tend to lend money at higher interest rates than their Christian counterparts.
5. What series of events led to the "Dark Ages?"
6. Why is childbirth a dangerous time in a woman's life?
7. What are some typical dining manners observed in 1250 in Troyes?
8. Describe a typical burgher family's home.
9. In the tenth and eleventh centuries, what helped cement the growth of bourgs?
10. How is a woman restricted in medieval society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 1 describes the physical geography of Troyes.
1) Describe the geography of Troyes, including its major city sections, mportant buildings, and landmarks.
2) How did merchants and others enter Troyes?
3) What does the number of ecclesiastical buildings in Troyes signify?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 13 discusses a rise in theater during this period.
1) Where does the revival of theater start? Give reasons why. What is a playlet?
2) Why is "L' Mystere d' Adam" important in the development of the theater? Describe the plot of "L' Mystere d' Adam."
3) Describe the narrative contents of the following: The Prophets, "Play of St. Nicholas," and "Le Courteois d' Arras."
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 11 describes the rise of cathedrals schools, and what kind of material is taught.
1) Describe the curriculum of the High Middle Ages, including its various subjects.
2) Which authors do medieval teachers depend upon for their classroom texts?
3) How available is university education at this time? How long does a university education last? What professions are available to a university-educated man?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)