|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might a dying man request as a form of penitence?
2. Why do craftsmen frequently work in full view of the public?
3. What part of the city of Troyes are Jews located in?
4. Why must the housewife be especially careful in selecting food from the market?
5. What does a tanner use to soften an animal's hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the purpose of merchant guilds?
2. What are some common sicknesses in the 13th century?
3. Explain how currency functions in 1250 Troyes.
4. Who was and was not allowed to get married?
5. How did the Romans influence the area that is now France?
6. In the tenth and eleventh centuries, what helped cement the growth of bourgs?
7. Who is a midwife, and what techniques might she use in her profession?
8. What are some typical dining manners observed in 1250 in Troyes?
9. Describe a typical burgher family's home.
10. How is wool processed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Central to Troyes' economic well-being are its merchant fairs.
1) Describe the schedule of the fairs? How many are there per year? What are they called? When do they occur, and for how long?
2) How many events are included in a typical fair? Describe each "stage" of a fair, and describe what goods are traded in each stage.
3) An early form of credit develops as a result of the Troyes fairs. Describe how this credit system works. Include in your answer the concept of "letters of promises to pay."
Essay Topic 2
Medieval medicine has made advances since the Dark Ages, but it is still more religion than science.
1) According to medieval doctors, what is the body comprised of? Given that, what is the cause of illness?
2) What is astrology? How does astrology factor in to a doctor's profession?
3) Name three diseases in the High Middle Ages, and how a doctor might go about treating them.
4) How is mental illness viewed at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 1 describes the physical geography of Troyes.
1) Describe the geography of Troyes, including its major city sections, mportant buildings, and landmarks.
2) How did merchants and others enter Troyes?
3) What does the number of ecclesiastical buildings in Troyes signify?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)