|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT an activity commonly performed by jongleurs?
2. What is a garderobe?
3. What is the difference between Jewish money lenders and Christian money lenders?
4. What part of the city of Troyes are Jews located in?
5. What is usury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some typical leisure activities.
2. How might a woman prepare herself when she wakes up?
3. How is money-lending viewed in this period?
4. What are the purpose of merchant guilds?
5. Describe a typical burgher family's home.
6. Who is a midwife, and what techniques might she use in her profession?
7. Describe what a blacksmith does.
8. What are the purposes of fireplaces in Troyes?
9. What are some typical household duties a wife or her servant is expected to perform?
10. What are some common sicknesses in the 13th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women enjoyed certain freedoms but also suffered certain restrictions in the High Middle Ages.
1) As described in the book, develop a list of liberties enjoyed by women.
2) Next, develop a list of restrictions imposed upon women.
3) What sort of political power do women have?
Essay Topic 2
The Prologue charts Troyes' development, and traces its origin to a number of historical influences.
1) List the historical/cultural influences that impacted Troyes to the year 1250.
2) How did the advent of the city wall impact Troyes?
3) Why did the fairs develop in Troyes?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 1 describes the physical geography of Troyes.
1) Describe the geography of Troyes, including its major city sections, mportant buildings, and landmarks.
2) How did merchants and others enter Troyes?
3) What does the number of ecclesiastical buildings in Troyes signify?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)