|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most profitable type of fabric in 1250 Troyes?
2. Why don't the merchants use carts on the way to Troyes?
3. Who lives in the Count's Castle?
4. Where do the burghers get their name?
5. How does an apprentice become a master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was and was not allowed to get married?
2. Who is a midwife, and what techniques might she use in her profession?
3. What do Jews tend to lend money at higher interest rates than their Christian counterparts.
4. Describe what a blacksmith does.
5. Describe the physical geography and layout of Troyes.
6. How is a woman restricted in medieval society?
7. In the tenth and eleventh centuries, what helped cement the growth of bourgs?
8. How is wool processed?
9. What series of events led to the "Dark Ages?"
10. Explain how currency functions in 1250 Troyes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women enjoyed certain freedoms but also suffered certain restrictions in the High Middle Ages.
1) As described in the book, develop a list of liberties enjoyed by women.
2) Next, develop a list of restrictions imposed upon women.
3) What sort of political power do women have?
Essay Topic 2
Books and authors are the subject of Chapter 12.
1) Who are the Goliards? What kind of writing are they known for?
2) Describe the rise of the vernacular language. Why does this language begin to displace Latin? Which authors are associated with the vernacular?
3) Define the following types of literature, and give one example of an author and text for each type: Poetry, Prose, fabliaux, romance.
Essay Topic 3
The childbirth process is a poorly understood event in the High Middle Ages.
1) What superstitions and fears are associated with childbirth?
2) Who is the midwife? What is her role? What methods does she use?
3) After the baby is born, how is it handled? What is the rationale behind this handling of the newborn?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)