|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is NOT one of the subjects of the trivium?
2. What are communes?
(a) Cities which have negotiated charters.
(b) Long, slender tubes for glass blowing.
(c) Special blacksmith anvils for working with gold.
(d) Sewer canals that lead from Troyes to the nearby river.
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the subjects of the quadrivium?
4. Why are the buildings of Troyes susceptible to fire damage?
(a) They are subject to fierce cross winds.
(b) Troyes has an unusually large number of arsonists.
(c) Generous fire insurance causes many cases of arson-related fraud.
(d) They are crowded together and made of timber.
5. Which author is depended upon for the central texts to teach grammar in the cathedral school?
(d) Cato the Elder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is co-optation?
2. What is a thema, in the religious sense?
3. Which of the following is NOT a step taken in siege mining?
4. Which of the following is NOT a function of the church according to the book?
5. The tale "Flamenca" is an example of what type of book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a Middle Ages curriculum consist of?
2. For what poetry is Thibaut IV most known for?
3. How is criminal justice handled in Troyes?
4. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
5. What remains today of Troyes?
6. Where did the phrase "free mason" originate?
7. What is the process of ordeal?
8. How do communes influence the matter of military service?
9. How happened to Troyes after 1250?
10. How were cathedrals paid for?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)