|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a siege occurs, who generally has the advantage?
(a) The city inhabitants.
(b) Neither have an advantage.
(c) The attacking army.
(d) The Church.
2. Educated wanderers who developed an irreverent brand of Latin verse were known as what?
3. What accounts for the difference between low justice and high justice?
(a) Whether the prisoner is kept in the tower or the dunjon.
(b) Degree of severity.
(c) Whether it's handled by the Church or by the town council.
(d) Geographical location.
4. What is a windlass?
(a) A crane used to move heavy stones.
(b) Slang for a nagging woman.
(c) A siege weapon used to destroy castle walls.
(d) A musical instrument.
5. What is co-optation?
(a) People in political offices choosing their own successors.
(b) The requirement for spice merchants to weigh their spice at a single, regulated location.
(c) Multiple families living in a single home.
(d) The right for a feudal lord to seize property at any time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following forms of punishment had largely fallen out of favor by 1250 in Troyes?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the five universities of northwest Europe as of 1250?
3. What is the computus?
4. Which of the following is NOT a tool of the bell founder?
5. Many of Thibaut IV's love songs are about which woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Middle Ages masons inferior to Roman-era masons? How are they superior?
2. What are relics, and where are they kept? Give some examples of typical relics.
3. Describe how an army might try to siege a city like Troyes?
4. How is criminal justice handled in Troyes?
5. How does a typical famine begin and progress?
6. How do communes influence the matter of military service?
7. How were cathedrals paid for?
8. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
9. Why do Crusades decrease in the 13th century and beyond?
10. What does a Middle Ages curriculum consist of?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)