|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did NOT lead to the decline of Troyes after 1250?
(a) Less of a need for a central fair.
(b) Harsh taxation.
(c) A large flood in 1352.
(d) Worker dissatisfaction.
2. What is the most expensive and sought-after commodity of the High Middle Ages?
(d) Animal hides.
3. Chretien de Troyes' works are the basis for what legend?
(a) The sack of Troy.
(c) The ugly duckling.
(d) King Arthur.
4. Which of the following is NOT an option for a graduated university student of the Middle Ages?
5. Why is the catapult of the Middles Ages superior to its Roman ancestor?
(a) A much longer catapult arm.
(b) Stronger iron joints.
(c) Stronger timber.
(d) The use of counterweights.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a thema, in the religious sense?
2. What accounts for the difference between low justice and high justice?
3. Which one of the following is NOT one of the subjects of the trivium?
4. What disaster befalls Troyes in 1188?
5. What color is untreated glass from the 13th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much of a danger is warfare to a city like Troyes?
2. What are theories of justice based upon in the 13th century?
3. What are relics, and where are they kept? Give some examples of typical relics.
4. What did 12th century charters accomplish for towns like Troyes?
5. What does a Middle Ages curriculum consist of?
6. How does a glazier create a stained glass window?
7. What remains today of Troyes?
8. Why does a theater revival occur within the Church?
9. For what poetry is Thibaut IV most known for?
10. What is the story of "L'Mystere d' Adam?"
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)