|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prior to Roman conquest, what state is modern-day France in?
(a) It is not inhabited by more than a few criminals and gypsies.
(b) It is populated with Vandals, and features several large cities.
(c) It is primarily wilderness, dotted by a few small villages.
(d) It is rich and fertile farmland, populated by large plantations.
2. Who enjoys the right of coinage?
(b) Money lenders.
(c) Princes and bishops.
3. How many leper's colonies existed in France around 1250?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Two thousand.
4. When is a child baptized ideally?
(a) At one year of age.
(b) On the first day of birth.
(c) On their fifth birthday.
(d) At two weeks' of age.
5. What material is used for ice skates?
(a) Horse shin bones.
(d) Ivory tusks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the widely-accepted currency in Troyes?
2. What is a superstition about childbirth mentioned in the text?
3. What structure is common to all floors of a burghers' home?
4. Which of the following is an ideal quality of a wet nurse?
5. What is a woman in 1250 NOT allowed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important for a burgher to have a detailed will?
2. Describe what a tanner does.
3. How is a woman restricted in medieval society?
4. Describe a typical marriage ceremony.
5. How is money-lending viewed in this period?
6. Describe a typical burgher family's home.
7. Describe the journey a merchant might take to a fair in Troyes.
8. What are some common sicknesses in the 13th century?
9. Explain how currency functions in 1250 Troyes.
10. Describe what a blacksmith does.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)