|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do housewives frequently refrain from wearing makeup or wigs?
(a) Burghers prefer their wives to be natural beauties.
(b) There is a common fear that such "disguises" bring bad luck.
(c) Makeup and wigs contain unhealthy and allergic materials.
(d) The wearing of make up or wigs is frowned upon by the church.
2. How many leper's colonies existed in France around 1250?
(a) Two thousand.
(c) One hundred.
3. According to medieval medicine, how many "humors" are there in the body?
4. Which of the following is NOT a member category in a guild?
5. Which might be a restriction against two people being married?
(a) They are too closely related by blood.
(b) They are too old.
(c) Differences in education level.
(d) Either one is a former criminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the difference between Jewish money lenders and Christian money lenders?
2. How tall are Troyes' city walls?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the tools of a midwife?
4. The wool in Troyes primarily comes from which region?
5. Which of the following is NOT done in the counting room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical marriage ceremony.
2. Describe what a tanner does.
3. What enterprises might a wealthy burgher pursue in order to gain more wealth?
4. Describe what a blacksmith does.
5. Explain how currency functions in 1250 Troyes.
6. How is a woman restricted in medieval society?
7. Who is a midwife, and what techniques might she use in her profession?
8. What are some typical household duties a wife or her servant is expected to perform?
9. How did communes contribute to the rise of the burghers?
10. What happens when a burgher dies?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)