|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period is covered by the book?
(a) From 250 BC to 800 AD.
(b) From 800 AD to 900 AD.
(c) From the time of Socrates to the time of the American Revolution.
(d) From Roman times to the middle of the 13th century.
2. Which might be a restriction against two people being married?
(a) Differences in education level.
(b) They are too closely related by blood.
(c) They are too old.
(d) Either one is a former criminal.
3. How much time does an apprentice generally spend learning his craft?
(a) 4 to 12 years.
(b) 3 months to 6 months.
(c) 1 to 2 years.
(d) 6 months to 1 year.
4. Why do housewives frequently refrain from wearing makeup or wigs?
(a) There is a common fear that such "disguises" bring bad luck.
(b) Makeup and wigs contain unhealthy and allergic materials.
(c) The wearing of make up or wigs is frowned upon by the church.
(d) Burghers prefer their wives to be natural beauties.
5. How often does the typical city dweller in 1250 take a bath?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Once a day.
(c) Once a year.
(d) Once a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to ideal notions of beauty, how should skin appear to be considered beautiful?
2. How is mental illness treated by medieval doctors?
3. What is a consignment?
4. Which of the following is a typical play activity for young children?
5. Approximately how many doctors are there in the Troyes of 1250?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did communes contribute to the rise of the burghers?
2. How did the Romans influence the area that is now France?
3. Why is childbirth a dangerous time in a woman's life?
4. How is money-lending viewed in this period?
5. Why is it important for a burgher to have a detailed will?
6. What do Jews tend to lend money at higher interest rates than their Christian counterparts.
7. Describe the journey a merchant might take to a fair in Troyes.
8. Who was and was not allowed to get married?
9. Describe some typical leisure activities.
10. What happens when a burgher dies?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)