|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two general sections is Troyes divided into?
(a) The north and the south.
(b) The east and the west.
(c) The old city and the new city.
(d) The Latin quarter and the French quarter.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the tools of a midwife?
(a) Soothing words.
(b) Jasper stone.
(c) A hammer and awl.
(d) Magical intonations.
3. How many deniers make up one shilling?
4. Why is it wise to restrict a baby's movements after birth, according to medieval wisdom?
(a) A moving baby might twist and deform its own limbs.
(b) A moving baby will make for an impetuous, nervous adult.
(c) Demons will be able to more easily track a moving baby.
(d) The various humors (fluids) in a baby must have time to settle.
5. Why must the housewife be especially careful in selecting food from the market?
(a) Food prices vary greatly depending on market conditions.
(b) Their burgher husbands have very particular tastes.
(c) Poisonous food is rampant in the area.
(d) Many merchants try to dilute their goods to increase their profit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the church's position on most games and entertainments?
2. How often does the typical city dweller in 1250 take a bath?
3. The wool in Troyes primarily comes from which region?
4. What kind of detergent is used for laundry time?
5. How many people share a wine cup during dining?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did communes contribute to the rise of the burghers?
2. What are the purposes of fireplaces in Troyes?
3. What happens when a burgher dies?
4. How might a woman prepare herself when she wakes up?
5. Describe what a tanner does.
6. Describe a typical burgher family's home.
7. Describe some typical leisure activities.
8. Describe what a blacksmith does.
9. Why is it important for a burgher to have a detailed will?
10. How is money-lending viewed in this period?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)