|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why don't the merchants use carts on the way to Troyes?
(a) Their wheels can get stuck in the muddy roads.
(b) Carts can be easily stolen.
(c) Carts are considered bad luck.
(d) They are much more expensive than using pack animals.
2. What is the most profitable type of fabric in 1250 Troyes?
3. What is a lying-in chamber?
(a) The sleeping quarters for the servants.
(b) A room reserved for a pregnant woman giving birth.
(c) The sleeping quarters for the burgher and his wife.
(d) An interrogation room for criminals.
4. What is the widely-accepted currency in Troyes?
5. Why do housewives frequently refrain from wearing makeup or wigs?
(a) There is a common fear that such "disguises" bring bad luck.
(b) The wearing of make up or wigs is frowned upon by the church.
(c) Makeup and wigs contain unhealthy and allergic materials.
(d) Burghers prefer their wives to be natural beauties.
6. How many leper's colonies existed in France around 1250?
(a) Two thousand.
(b) One hundred.
7. Who lives in the Count's Castle?
(a) The Count of Champagne.
(b) No one.
(c) The Viscount.
(d) The Bishop of Troyes.
8. Why do craftsmen frequently work in full view of the public?
(a) Because that is church policy.
(b) So that everyone can see their skill.
(c) Because that is the policy of the Count of Champagne.
(d) In a show of honesty required by the merchants' guild.
9. Which of the following is NOT done in the counting room?
(c) Greeting of customers.
10. Who is a wet nurse?
(a) A doctor specializing in the fluids of the body.
(b) A magician who lives in the swamp.
(c) A woman who nurses another woman's baby.
(d) A woman who attends to drowning victims.
11. How is wire made by a blacksmith?
(a) Sending metal through a complicated system of grates.
(b) Manual twisting with tongs.
(c) A mill wheel-type device that crushes metal.
(d) By sending metal through smaller and smaller holes.
12. Where are toilets located?
(a) In the solar.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the basement.
(d) In the stable yard.
13. What did a doctor do for common wound and injuries?
(a) Applied a binding to the wound, and kept it clean and sterile.
(b) Placed a ruby on the wrist for relief of pain.
(c) Melted candle wax and applied it to the wound.
(d) Appealed to God in a prayer to cure the wound.
14. Which of the following is NOT a member category in a guild?
15. How much time does an apprentice generally spend learning his craft?
(a) 6 months to 1 year.
(b) 4 to 12 years.
(c) 1 to 2 years.
(d) 3 months to 6 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wealthy burghers can expect to have a home of how many stories?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the tools of a midwife?
3. What material is used for ice skates?
4. How wide are Troyes' city walls?
5. What is a typical mattress made of in 1250?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)