|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Chapter 13, Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disaster befalls Troyes in 1184?
(a) A crop failure and famine.
(b) A large fire.
(c) A bad flood.
(d) An outbreak of plague.
2. What is a superstition about childbirth mentioned in the text?
(a) The woman's face is covered with a cloth during childbirth, as it is considered ill fortune for a woman to witness the birth of her own child.
(b) The time of birth must be recorded exactly, which can be used to predict the child's future.
(c) Very particular lute music is played prior to and during birth, so the child will not be born deaf.
(d) A jongleur is made to attend the birth to ensure the child has a happy rather than sad disposition.
3. Who lives in the attic of a home?
(a) The attic is a guest room for customers.
(b) The children.
(c) The burgher and his wife.
(d) Servants and apprentices.
4. What is a lying-in chamber?
(a) The sleeping quarters for the servants.
(b) The sleeping quarters for the burgher and his wife.
(c) A room reserved for a pregnant woman giving birth.
(d) An interrogation room for criminals.
5. What is a windlass?
(a) A musical instrument.
(b) Slang for a nagging woman.
(c) A siege weapon used to destroy castle walls.
(d) A crane used to move heavy stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't the merchants use carts on the way to Troyes?
2. What is the purpose of the flying buttress?
3. How many leper's colonies existed in France around 1250?
4. What time period is covered by the book?
5. Which of the following is true about the cathedral school?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)