|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What painting does Mrs. Nesbitt want Matt to have when she dies?
2. In Chapter 13, what day of the week is the library open?
3. What does Miranda find in the pantry and eat in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 15, how long has it been since Mrs. Nesbitt heard from her family?
5. What does Miranda's family have for dessert on Christmas day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Miranda give her mom for homeschooling, and how does her mother react?
2. On October 26, what does Miranda say about chores she has to do?
3. How does Miranda care for her family when they are sick in Chapter 19?
4. What happens when Miranda eats food from the pantry?
5. What do Matt and Miranda discuss before she goes to town in Chapter 21?
6. On February 12, what does Miranda's mother fry for lunch and how does Miranda describe the food?
7. What does Peter say about Miranda's mother's injury?
8. What does Miranda discover in town in Chapter 21?
9. In Chapter 19, what does Miranda learn when she goes to the hospital?
10. Why does Miranda decide to have her mother cut her hair in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mood in the novel changes from positive to negative. What is the overall mood in the novel? How does that affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
People have different reactions to life after the asteroid hits. How do various people, especially those in Miranda’s family, react to the crisis? What do their reactions reveal about them and their ability to survive?
Essay Topic 3
Hard decisions have to be made in order to survive. What decisions does Miranda’s mother make that seem selfish, but are required to survive? Why is selfishness a survival skill?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)