|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Miranda's mother regain consciousness?
2. What does Miranda's family have to eat in Chapter 17 after Matt gets back from the post office?
3. In Chapter 20, how long does Miranda go skiing by herself in the morning?
4. On February 22, how long does the electricity come on for?
5. On January 11, how often does Miranda give her families cold remedies and a sponge bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Brandon Erlich when the asteroid hit and how did he get home?
2. What plans does Mrs. Nesbitt want Miranda to follow when Mrs. Nesbitt dies?
3. What happens when Miranda eats food from the pantry?
4. What does Peter say about Miranda's mother's injury?
5. On October 28, what does Peter say about Miranda's mother's ankle when she trips a second time?
6. What encouragement does Miranda's mom give Miranda on September 19?
7. What does Miranda wear and have to try to stay warm on September 6?
8. What wakes Miranda and her family on February 22?
9. What do Matt and Miranda discuss before she goes to town in Chapter 21?
10. On December 7, when are the only times that anyone from the family gets outside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
Essay Topic 2
Miranda and her mother have their ups and down as the crisis continues. What type of relationship does Miranda have with her mother at the beginning of the novel, and how do circumstances affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Miranda’s priorities change in the novel. What does Miranda think is really important in life before the asteroid? What does she learn is really important in life through the crisis, and how does that affect her priorities?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)