|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far is the post office from Miranda's house?
2. When does Miranda find Mrs. Nesbitt dead?
3. When does Peter come by in Chapter 15?
4. What does Miranda's mother hurt when she trips at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. What does Miranda eat when she gets up in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miranda decide to homeschool?
2. What wakes Miranda and her family on February 22?
3. On February 12, what does Miranda's mother fry for lunch and how does Miranda describe the food?
4. On December 7, when are the only times that anyone from the family gets outside?
5. How do Miranda and her brothers get things from Mrs. Nesbitt's to their house in Chapter 16?
6. What does Miranda discover in town in Chapter 21?
7. In Chapter 19, what does Miranda learn when she goes to the hospital?
8. What does Miranda get from the school when she gathers things to homeschool?
9. Why is Matt so late coming from the post office in Chapter 17?
10. What does Miranda wear and have to try to stay warm on September 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda tells the story in the novel from diary entries. Analyze the author’s choice to tell the story from Miranda’s point of view and from diary entries. How does viewing the events from Miranda’s point of view affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Keeping a journal is important for Miranda. Why does she keep a journal, and what does it reveal about her view of the future?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Nesbitt’s presence and actions help Miranda and her family. What type of person is Mrs. Nesbitt, and how does she present an example to Miranda of how to deal with crisis?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)