|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Miranda's mother say that she misses the most?
2. When does Miranda ask her mother to cut her hair?
3. What does Megan find for Matt for Christmas in Chapter 16?
4. In Chapter 20, how long does Miranda go skiing by herself in the morning?
5. What does Miranda's mother hurt when she trips at the beginning of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Miranda and Jonny do when Matt takes so long to come back from the post office in Chapter 17?
2. Why is Matt so late coming from the post office in Chapter 17?
3. On February 12, what does Miranda's mother fry for lunch and how does Miranda describe the food?
4. Why does Mr. Mortensen come to Miranda's house in Chapter 18?
5. In Chapter 19, what does Miranda learn when she goes to the hospital?
6. What does Peter say about Miranda's mother's injury?
7. What does Miranda get from the school when she gathers things to homeschool?
8. What plans does Mrs. Nesbitt want Miranda to follow when Mrs. Nesbitt dies?
9. What does Miranda's family have to eat for Matt's birthday dinner?
10. Why does Miranda decide to homeschool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival is a major theme in the novel. What types of things do people have to survive, and how does the struggle to survive bring out the best and the worst in people?
Essay Topic 2
Hard decisions have to be made in order to survive. What decisions does Miranda’s mother make that seem selfish, but are required to survive? Why is selfishness a survival skill?
Essay Topic 3
People have different reactions to life after the asteroid hits. How do various people, especially those in Miranda’s family, react to the crisis? What do their reactions reveal about them and their ability to survive?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)