|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how many people does a nurse say were at the hospital last week?
2. In Chapter 11, where do students think that the president and national government have gone?
3. What does Miranda eat when she gets up in Chapter 11?
4. How many blue books does Miranda take and hide under her belt in Chapter 11?
5. On January 11, how often does Miranda give her families cold remedies and a sponge bath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter say about Miranda's mother's injury?
2. What wakes Miranda and her family on February 22?
3. What do Miranda and Jonny do when Matt takes so long to come back from the post office in Chapter 17?
4. What happens in Chapter 13 when Miranda goes to the hospital to get Peter?
5. Where was Brandon Erlich when the asteroid hit and how did he get home?
6. What is happening with the library and the librarian on October 3?
7. What does Miranda's family have for Christmas dinner?
8. What happens on Christmas eve?
9. What do Matt and Miranda discuss before she goes to town in Chapter 21?
10. What does Miranda find in one of Mrs. Nesbitt's cupboards in Chapter 16 that she wants to give to her mother as a present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world changes after the asteroid hits. How does civilization break down, and how does that affect the decisions and choices that people make?
Essay Topic 2
The crises cause external and internal conflicts for the characters in the novel. How does conflict affect the various characters, and do characters struggle more with external or internal conflicts? Which type of conflicts seem to be most difficult to deal with?
Essay Topic 3
Miranda and her family vacillate between hope and despair. In what way does the family find hope even in the bleakest of circumstances, and how does hope affect their ability to survive?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)