|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Miranda find Mrs. Nesbitt dead?
2. In Chapter 17, what time does Matt come home from the post office?
3. In Chapter 15, how long has it been since Mrs. Nesbitt heard from her family?
4. What does Megan find for Matt for Christmas in Chapter 16?
5. What do Matt and Jonny get Miranda for Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miranda describe finding Mrs. Nesbitt when she dies in Chapter 16?
2. Why does Mr. Mortensen come to Miranda's house in Chapter 18?
3. What do Matt and Miranda discuss before she goes to town in Chapter 21?
4. What does Miranda get from the school when she gathers things to homeschool?
5. What encouragement does Miranda's mom give Miranda on September 19?
6. Where was Brandon Erlich when the asteroid hit and how did he get home?
7. What does Miranda discover in town in Chapter 21?
8. How do Miranda and her brothers get things from Mrs. Nesbitt's to their house in Chapter 16?
9. What happens on Christmas eve?
10. On October 26, what does Miranda say about chores she has to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the title of the novel to hints in Miranda’s diaries, foreshadowing is used in the novel. How is foreshadowing used in the novel, and how does it affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Keeping a journal is important for Miranda. Why does she keep a journal, and what does it reveal about her view of the future?
Essay Topic 3
Hard decisions have to be made in order to survive. What decisions does Miranda’s mother make that seem selfish, but are required to survive? Why is selfishness a survival skill?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)