|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Miranda's mother regain consciousness?
2. After Miranda's mother trips in Chapter 13, how long must she stay home and not leave?
3. What do Matt and Jonny get Miranda for Christmas?
4. What time of the day does Matt go to the post office on Fridays in Chapter 17?
5. When is Matt's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miranda discover in town in Chapter 21?
2. What do Matt and Miranda discuss before she goes to town in Chapter 21?
3. What does Peter say about Miranda's mother's injury?
4. What does Miranda find in one of Mrs. Nesbitt's cupboards in Chapter 16 that she wants to give to her mother as a present?
5. What does Miranda's family have for Christmas dinner?
6. Why does Miranda decide to homeschool?
7. How does Miranda care for her family when they are sick in Chapter 19?
8. What wakes Miranda and her family on February 22?
9. What do Miranda and Jonny do when Matt takes so long to come back from the post office in Chapter 17?
10. What is happening with the library and the librarian on October 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda and her mother have their ups and down as the crisis continues. What type of relationship does Miranda have with her mother at the beginning of the novel, and how do circumstances affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Miranda feels like she is shrinking as her world shrinks. What does Miranda think she is becoming as the world gets smaller? In what ways is being a rock a positive and a negative thing for Miranda? How does that affect her desire to live?
Essay Topic 3
Survival is a major theme in the novel. What types of things do people have to survive, and how does the struggle to survive bring out the best and the worst in people?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)