|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how far along does a man say that his pregnant wife is?
2. What does Miranda study for after dinner on Mother's Day?
3. To whom does Megan give part of her school lunch on June 3?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what day of the week is a meeting scheduled at the high school?
5. On June 12, how many cases of West Nile has Peter seen in the past week?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much can be salvaged of the plants Miranda's mother planted when there is a killer frost in Chapter 10?
2. What news does Miranda's father have on June 11?
3. What treat does Mrs. Nesbitt bring on June 5, and where does she get the treat from?
4. What does Miranda witness and learn on August 29?
5. What does Miranda learn when her father calls in Chapter 1?
6. Why does Peter think that Miranda should stop swimming in Chapter 8?
7. What does Miranda think about her father's wife Lisa?
8. Where is Sammi going in Chapter 8 and with whom?
9. Why does Miranda's mother come and get her from school on May 19?
10. What was the school day like for Miranda on May 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival is a major theme in the novel. What types of things do people have to survive, and how does the struggle to survive bring out the best and the worst in people?
Essay Topic 2
Because of the deteriorating conditions, some people begin to abuse their authority. How is power abused after the asteroid hits, and how do circumstances lead to abuses of power?
Essay Topic 3
The crises cause external and internal conflicts for the characters in the novel. How does conflict affect the various characters, and do characters struggle more with external or internal conflicts? Which type of conflicts seem to be most difficult to deal with?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)