|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What class has Sammi been below passing all school year in Chapter 5?
2. What time does Miranda's father call in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 10, when is it decided that school will start again?
4. What grade is Miranda getting in English on June 4?
5. In Chapter 3, how far along does a man say that his pregnant wife is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Miranda and her family do for Jonny's birthday?
2. In Chapter 9, why does Miranda tell Jonny that they need to stay in Howell?
3. Why is it good for Jonny to go to baseball camp?
4. What treat does Mrs. Nesbitt bring on June 5, and where does she get the treat from?
5. How does Horton disappear?
6. What is learned at the meeting held in Chapter 10 to discuss school?
7. On May 21, what does the president say about the situation since the asteroid hit?
8. Where is Sammi going in Chapter 8 and with whom?
9. Who is Brandon Erlich?
10. How much can be salvaged of the plants Miranda's mother planted when there is a killer frost in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hard decisions have to be made in order to survive. What decisions does Miranda’s mother make that seem selfish, but are required to survive? Why is selfishness a survival skill?
Essay Topic 2
Keeping a journal is important for Miranda. Why does she keep a journal, and what does it reveal about her view of the future?
Essay Topic 3
Miranda and her family vacillate between hope and despair. In what way does the family find hope even in the bleakest of circumstances, and how does hope affect their ability to survive?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)