|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when does the electricity finally come back on?
2. On May 19, how much money does Miranda's mother give her to go shopping?
3. In Chapter 5, when will school close for the year?
4. On June 22, how often does Miranda's father say that he tries to call them?
5. On August 10, what is the community bulletin board?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what reasons does Miranda's mom give her that show how lucky the family is?
2. How much can be salvaged of the plants Miranda's mother planted when there is a killer frost in Chapter 10?
3. What is decided about meals on July 3?
4. Why is it good for Jonny to go to baseball camp?
5. What does the moon look like after it is hit by the asteroid?
6. On May 21, what does the president say about the situation since the asteroid hit?
7. Where is Sammi going in Chapter 8 and with whom?
8. In Chapter 4, how has Horton been acting?
9. What is learned at the meeting held in Chapter 10 to discuss school?
10. What does Miranda think about her father's wife Lisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miranda’s priorities change in the novel. What does Miranda think is really important in life before the asteroid? What does she learn is really important in life through the crisis, and how does that affect her priorities?
Essay Topic 2
The mood in the novel changes from positive to negative. What is the overall mood in the novel? How does that affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)