|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On June 12, how many cases of West Nile has Peter seen in the past week?
2. On August 11, which of his friends does Jonny see and speak to?
3. What does Miranda get on a math test on May 17?
4. By August 15, where have there already been weeks of killing frost?
5. On May 19, how much money does Miranda's mother give her to go shopping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the school day like for Miranda on May 18?
2. What do Miranda and Dan share about their grandparents in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 9, why does Miranda tell Jonny that they need to stay in Howell?
4. What does Miranda learn about grades at school on June 2?
5. How much can be salvaged of the plants Miranda's mother planted when there is a killer frost in Chapter 10?
6. What news does Miranda's father have on June 11?
7. What is decided about meals on July 3?
8. On May 21, what does the president say about the situation since the asteroid hit?
9. In Chapter 4, how has Horton been acting?
10. Where is Sammi going in Chapter 8 and with whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Nesbitt’s presence and actions help Miranda and her family. What type of person is Mrs. Nesbitt, and how does she present an example to Miranda of how to deal with crisis?
Essay Topic 2
The crises cause external and internal conflicts for the characters in the novel. How does conflict affect the various characters, and do characters struggle more with external or internal conflicts? Which type of conflicts seem to be most difficult to deal with?
Essay Topic 3
Miranda feels like she is shrinking as her world shrinks. What does Miranda think she is becoming as the world gets smaller? In what ways is being a rock a positive and a negative thing for Miranda? How does that affect her desire to live?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)