|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the transfer student who was drunk often at the age of 14?
2. Where did Bryson's mother move after her husband died?
3. Students at the high school became preoccupied with _____________.
4. Where did Bryson and his friends have fun most of the year?
5. What killed the elm trees in Des Moines at the end of the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the format of the book. How does Bryson distinguish between current activity and flashbacks to his past? What is the difference is style and tone? Are the differentiations separated visually in any way? How did this improve your reading of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the book. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What are the time periods of the stories? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)