|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the first shopping mall open in Des Moines?
2. Where was Bryson sent quite a bit as punishment?
3. What color was the barn on Bryson's grandparents' farm?
4. What eroded the sense of security for people in the 1950s?
5. Which friend joined the military and died during the first Gulf War?
Essay Topic 1
One of the most striking characteristics of Bryson's writing is his complete honesty. Explain why this is necessary to complete a book of this nature. Would a reader be able to see through fabrications and falsehoods in a book like this? Describe why this format is the perfect for Bryson's personality.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Bryson had respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people Bryson introduced in the book. Explain.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)