|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Brysons spend a night in a cheap hotel?
2. In what year did Bryson's father die?
3. In what year did the first shopping mall open in Des Moines?
4. Who was the only former member of the club in #164 who was allowed to remain?
5. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
2. Describe the situation in which Bryson realized he could not trust adults.
3. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
4. What did the adult Bryson recall about what happened to his parents and friends?
5. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
6. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
7. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
8. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
9. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
10. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bryson's parents. What were their physical characteristics? What were their motivations? What were their fears? What were their dreams? What else can you say about Bryson's parents?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Bryson choose to use the first person perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What do you know about the characters and the plot lines that you would not know from a different point of view? What do you NOT know about the characters and plot lines based on this point of view?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)