|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town did the people in #121 live?
2. Which friend appeared in Bryson's book, A WALK IN THE WOODS?
3. The bedroom of the person in #152 looked like a _____________.
4. What did Bryson love about the town in #122?
5. In what year was the Cuban Missile Crisis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson usually do when he spent time at his grandparents' home?
2. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
3. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
4. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
5. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
6. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
7. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
8. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
9. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
10. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID. Why did Bryson choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might also be appropriate?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson had respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people Bryson introduced in the book. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Humor takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)