|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose house was Bryson playing when he broke the body part in #133?
2. Where did Bryson's grandparents go nearly every night in the summer?
3. Discoveries about his parents' successes made Bryson revise the story of _____________.
4. What was the name of the broken down amusement park?
5. Which of the following did Bryson always forget to bring to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
2. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
3. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
4. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
5. What changes were occurring in Des Moines as the 1950s came to a close?
6. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
7. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
8. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
9. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
10. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. How does Bryson distinguish between current activity and flashbacks to his past? What is the difference is style and tone? Are the differentiations separated visually in any way? How did this improve your reading of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)