|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bryson when he broke the body part in #133?
2. The bedroom of the person in #152 looked like a _____________.
3. What was the minimum age for admittance into the venue in #148 when Bryson was 13?
4. What were Bryson's favorite books?
5. What killed the elm trees in Des Moines at the end of the 1950s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
2. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
3. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
4. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
5. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
6. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
7. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
8. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
9. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
10. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Bryson use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Bryson have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Bryson appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall settings for the book. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What are the time periods of the stories? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the people?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)