|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bryson have to do three nights a week for his job?
2. Where was Bryson sent quite a bit as punishment?
3. What was the coldest part of Bryson's grandparents' house?
4. None of the rides at the amusement park in #145 had ____________.
5. What were Bryson's favorite books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
2. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
3. What did Bryson usually do when he spent time at his grandparents' home?
4. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
5. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
6. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
7. Describe the situation in which Bryson realized he could not trust adults.
8. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
9. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
10. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID. Why did Bryson choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might also be appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Bryson's childhood growing up in Des Moines, Iowa, in the 1950s. What was his family life like? Who were his friends? What were his school experiences? How did these people and experiences form him into the adult he became?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)