|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What entertainment venue did Bryson really enjoy?
2. What were Bryson's favorite books?
3. Where were the students supposed to go during the exercise in #107?
4. What university did Bryson's mother attend?
5. What did Bryson feel about where he grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
2. What changes were occurring in Des Moines as the 1950s came to a close?
3. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
4. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
5. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
6. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
7. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
8. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
9. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
10. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Bryson choose to use the first person perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What do you know about the characters and the plot lines that you would not know from a different point of view? What do you NOT know about the characters and plot lines based on this point of view?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Humor takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)