|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bryson sent quite a bit as punishment?
2. What was the coldest part of Bryson's grandparents' house?
3. What did Bryson have to do three nights a week for his job?
4. What did Bryson buy with the money from his job?
5. What kind of tree grew in the backyard of Bryson's grandparents' farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
2. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
3. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
4. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
5. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
6. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
7. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
8. What did the adult Bryson recall about what happened to his parents and friends?
9. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
10. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson had respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people Bryson introduced in the book. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID. Why did Bryson choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might also be appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)