|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bryson and his friends have fun most of the year?
2. Where did the Brysons spend a night in a cheap hotel?
3. What was the end of the dog in #114?
4. What exercise was held at the school each month?
5. Which friend became Bryson's literary agent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
2. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
3. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
4. What changes were occurring in Des Moines as the 1950s came to a close?
5. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
6. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
7. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
8. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
9. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
10. What did Bryson usually do when he spent time at his grandparents' home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Humor takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the format of the book. How does Bryson distinguish between current activity and flashbacks to his past? What is the difference is style and tone? Are the differentiations separated visually in any way? How did this improve your reading of this book?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)