|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car did Bryson's father buy?
2. Students at the high school became preoccupied with _____________.
3. What entertainment venue did Bryson really enjoy?
4. How old was Bryson when he broke the body part in #133?
5. The bedroom of the person in #152 looked like a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
2. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
3. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
4. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
5. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
6. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
7. What were some of the unpleasant issues Americans faced in 1957 even though the Gallup organization claimed it was a very happy year?
8. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
9. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
10. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Bryson use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Bryson have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Des Moines. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Des Moines? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall settings for the book. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What are the time periods of the stories? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the people?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)