|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bedroom of the person in #152 looked like a _____________.
2. What did Bryson discover about his mother from her college days?
3. What body part did Bryson break?
4. Which of the following did Bryson always forget to bring to school?
5. Why were all the students so sleepy in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
2. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
3. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
4. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
5. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
6. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
7. Describe Riverview Amusement Park and why Bryson thought it was so awful.
8. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
9. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
10. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bryson's parents. What were their physical characteristics? What were their motivations? What were their fears? What were their dreams? What else can you say about Bryson's parents?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the format of the book. How does Bryson distinguish between current activity and flashbacks to his past? What is the difference is style and tone? Are the differentiations separated visually in any way? How did this improve your reading of this book?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)