|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bryson's grandparents go nearly every night in the summer?
2. What did Bryson discover about his mother from her college days?
3. Which friend went to college in California?
4. Which friend appeared in Bryson's book, A WALK IN THE WOODS?
5. In what year did Bryson's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
2. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
3. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
4. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
5. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
6. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
7. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
8. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
9. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
10. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 3
Humor takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)