|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the dog that harassed Bryson?
2. What was the coldest part of Bryson's grandparents' house?
3. Who was the friend who introduced Bryson to the finer things in life?
4. What university did Bryson's mother attend?
5. None of the rides at the amusement park in #145 had ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
2. What were some of the unpleasant issues Americans faced in 1957 even though the Gallup organization claimed it was a very happy year?
3. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
4. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
5. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
6. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
7. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
8. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
9. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
10. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most striking characteristics of Bryson's writing is his complete honesty. Explain why this is necessary to complete a book of this nature. Would a reader be able to see through fabrications and falsehoods in a book like this? Describe why this format is the perfect for Bryson's personality.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)