|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long was Bryson in a cast?
2. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
3. What color was the barn on Bryson's grandparents' farm?
4. What nationality was the doctor who Bryson's parents took him to?
5. What job did Bryson have during the 1950s and 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
2. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
3. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
4. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
5. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
6. What changes were occurring in Des Moines as the 1950s came to a close?
7. Describe the situation in which Bryson realized he could not trust adults.
8. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
9. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
10. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Des Moines. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Des Moines? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)