Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Bryson born?
2. What did Bryson name the green jersey with the golden thunderbolt on the chest?
3. About what decade of American life did Bryson write in this book?
4. Where did Bryson grow up?
5. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
2. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
3. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
4. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
5. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
6. How did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers and what were the circumstances of the Thunderbolt Kid getting his costume?
7. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
8. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
9. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
10. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall settings for the book. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What are the time periods of the stories? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Bryson choose to use the first person perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What do you know about the characters and the plot lines that you would not know from a different point of view? What do you NOT know about the characters and plot lines based on this point of view?
Essay Topic 3
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Des Moines. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Des Moines? Explain.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)