|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month was Bryson born?
2. Who was Bryson's friend who lived across the alley and had good toys?
3. Where did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers?
4. What were Bryson's three uncles called?
5. Bryson recalled a day in August of ____________ when he went on an outing with a friend and his family.
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the things that showed that life was simpler and safer in the 1950s.
2. What was the ritual Bryson had with his mother every Friday evening?
3. What were some of the ways that boys could see glimpses of naked women?
4. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
5. What particular times were especially long for kids?
6. What was Bryson's mother's main personality quirk?
7. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
8. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
9. How did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers and what were the circumstances of the Thunderbolt Kid getting his costume?
10. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the format of the book. How does Bryson distinguish between current activity and flashbacks to his past? What is the difference is style and tone? Are the differentiations separated visually in any way? How did this improve your reading of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bryson's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Bryson appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature or both? Explain.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)