Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Bryson born?
2. What did Bryson name the green jersey with the golden thunderbolt on the chest?
3. About what decade of American life did Bryson write in this book?
4. Where did Bryson grow up?
5. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
2. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
3. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
4. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
5. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
6. How did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers and what were the circumstances of the Thunderbolt Kid getting his costume?
7. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
8. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
9. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
10. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
Essay Topic 1
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bryson. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title--THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID. Why did Bryson choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might also be appropriate?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)