|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie did Bryson's sister decide they needed to see?
2. What did Bryson say was a myth about childhood?
3. What craft looked like fun at first but ended up being messy and frustrating?
4. Which state did the U.S. use as a test site?
5. What was it about Bryson's Thunderbolt Kid outfit that caused laughter from the other kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
2. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
3. What was the only real danger in town and how did the Thunderbolt Kid take care of the situation?
4. What particular times were especially long for kids?
5. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
6. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
7. Where did Bryson go with his friend's family on a summer outing and why did he not look forward to it?
8. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
9. What other accessories did Bryson need to become the Thunderbolt Kid?
10. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a "character" sketch of the city of Des Moines. What personality shines through for you for this city? Did Bryson make you want to learn more and perhaps visit one day? What would you most like to see? What is the one fact or interesting feature that you can recall about Des Moines? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
Bryson had respect for all of the people in the book but do you think he likes any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people Bryson introduced in the book. Explain.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)