|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What super power did the Thunderbolt Kid use primarily?
2. What did Bryson, Buddy and Bill do to the Lincoln Logs to turn them white?
3. Who did Bryson think his real father must have been?
4. About what decade of American life did Bryson write in this book?
5. Who led a movement in trying to identify the element in #95?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name some of the things that showed that life was simpler and safer in the 1950s.
2. What behaviors did teenagers exhibit in the 1950s?
3. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
4. What were the results on children of the U.S. bomb testings and what happened when the tests were moved underground?
5. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
6. What is the premise of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID?
7. What were some of the appliances that people in the 1950s were excited about owning?
8. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
9. How did television change life for people in the 1950s?
10. How many siblings did Bryson have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Bryson appreciates slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bryson's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)