|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the novelty and joke store Bryson used to frequent?
2. By 1958, the average child in the United States carried ten times more _______________ than the year before.
3. What craft looked like fun at first but ended up being messy and frustrating?
4. What type of exercise did Bryson's father practice?
5. Who was President of the United States when Bryson was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
2. What particular times were especially long for kids?
3. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
4. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
5. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
6. What other accessories did Bryson need to become the Thunderbolt Kid?
7. What was Bryson's mother's main personality quirk?
8. Describe a typical experience of Bryson's family stopping to see his mother's family every time they went on vacation.
9. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
10. What were the results of the hydrogen bombs dropped by the United States in 1952 and 1954?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most striking characteristics of Bryson's writing is his complete honesty. Explain why this is necessary to complete a book of this nature. Would a reader be able to see through fabrications and falsehoods in a book like this? Describe why this format is the perfect for Bryson's personality.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall settings for the book. What is important about each setting as it is revealed? What are the time periods of the stories? How important are the time periods to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bryson's writing style. How is he different from other writers of his time? What are some of his characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of his classic style in this book.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)