|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson's favorite candies were almost always made of ______________.
2. For what characteristic was Bryson's father known?
3. Who was the doctor who made a house call to tend to Bryson's head injury?
4. In what year did the movie in #73 come out?
5. What did Bryson name the green jersey with the golden thunderbolt on the chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
2. What were the results on children of the U.S. bomb testings and what happened when the tests were moved underground?
3. What is the premise of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID?
4. What were some of the ways that boys could see glimpses of naked women?
5. Where did Bryson go with his friend's family on a summer outing and why did he not look forward to it?
6. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
7. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
8. Name some of the things that showed that life was simpler and safer in the 1950s.
9. What sorts of things did Bryson and other kids do to help pass the long days?
10. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Bryson use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Bryson have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bryson. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Bryson?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)