|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
2. For what publication did Bryson's father work?
3. Who liked to harass smaller children in town?
4. What became the joy of every family in the 1950s?
5. In what unusual place did Bryson's father practice his exercise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
2. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
3. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
4. What were some of the ways that boys could see glimpses of naked women?
5. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
6. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
7. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
8. What were some of the appliances that people in the 1950s were excited about owning?
9. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
10. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region?
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)