|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bryson's father's job at the publication?
2. What was another natural threat during Bryson's childhood days?
3. Where did the Brysons visit during their trip to the state in #59?
4. For what characteristic was Bryson's father known?
5. Who was a person Bryson got to meet on one of these trips with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
2. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
3. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
4. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
5. What was the only real danger in town and how did the Thunderbolt Kid take care of the situation?
6. What was Bryson's mother's main personality quirk?
7. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
8. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
9. Where did Bryson go with his friend's family on a summer outing and why did he not look forward to it?
10. What sorts of things did Bryson and other kids do to help pass the long days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bryson. What were his physical characteristics? What were his motivations? What were his fears? What were his dreams? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)