|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Bryson born?
2. What did Bryson name the green jersey with the golden thunderbolt on the chest?
3. About what decade of American life did Bryson write in this book?
4. Where did Bryson grow up?
5. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
2. Who was The Thunderbolt Kid?
3. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
4. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
5. Where did Bryson's grandparents live and what did he love about the place?
6. How did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers and what were the circumstances of the Thunderbolt Kid getting his costume?
7. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
8. What was the irony of sending Bryson to the cloakroom as a punishment?
9. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
10. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Bill Bryson. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about Bryson?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of this book? Why did Bryson use this point of view? Is it the only way the book could have realistically been written? How else could Bryson have used point of view to alter the rhythm of the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)