|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a popular spot for kids to play in in the 1950s?
2. What appliance was treated like a treasured guest in the Bryson household?
3. What publication did most boys need to rely on to seem partially clothed girls?
4. In what ocean is the Eniwetok atoll located?
5. For what characteristic was Bryson's father known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
2. How did the Thunderbolt Kid get his powers and what were the circumstances of the Thunderbolt Kid getting his costume?
3. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
4. What importance did comic books have in the lives of Bryson and most other kids in the 1950s?
5. What is the premise of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID?
6. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
7. Who was the one girl that all the neighborhood boys wanted to see naked and how did Bryson miss out on this momentous occasion?
8. What was the ritual Bryson had with his mother every Friday evening?
9. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
10. What behaviors did teenagers exhibit in the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them, and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)