|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what characteristic was Bryson's father known?
2. Who was Bryson's sister?
3. What publication did most boys need to rely on to seem partially clothed girls?
4. What was another natural threat during Bryson's childhood days?
5. Who did a huge belly flop off the diving board while on the outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID?
2. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
3. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
4. What other accessories did Bryson need to become the Thunderbolt Kid?
5. How many siblings did Bryson have?
6. What importance did comic books have in the lives of Bryson and most other kids in the 1950s?
7. How easy was it for Bryson to find somebody to play with?
8. What was the only real danger in town and how did the Thunderbolt Kid take care of the situation?
9. Where did Bryson go with his friend's family on a summer outing and why did he not look forward to it?
10. What particular times were especially long for kids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Bryson was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson wrote the book with an overall theme of a simpler life. Choose three situations from any of the stories and explain the uncomplicated life in each. How did Bryson view this simple life at the time? How did he view them as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)