|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
(a) The Audio-Visual Club.
(b) The Drama Club.
(c) The 4-H Club.
(d) The FFA Club.
2. Which of the following did Bryson always forget to bring to school?
(a) His homework assignment.
(b) Valentine's cards for the class.
(c) His lunch.
(d) His signed report card.
3. In what year was the Cuban Missile Crisis?
4. What killed the elm trees in Des Moines at the end of the 1950s?
(c) Dutch elm disease.
5. What did Bryson decide that he liked better than the item in #116?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the landscape like in the area where Bryson's grandparents lived?
2. What university did Bryson's mother attend?
3. What body part did Bryson break?
4. What was the name of the broken down amusement park?
5. Research in the late 1950s indicated that ___________ caused cancer.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
2. How did the Bryson family end up staying in a hotel in Harlem?
3. What were the weather extremes in Winfield?
4. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
5. What was Bryson's opinion of staying in Des Moines versus moving to a bigger city?
6. What did Bryson and his friends do when they went to the movie matinees?
7. What changes were occurring in Des Moines as the 1950s came to a close?
8. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
9. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
10. The Iowa State Fair had many attractions but what did boys hope to see the most?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)