|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Research in the late 1950s indicated that ___________ caused cancer.
(b) paint thinner.
(c) exhaust fumes.
2. What happened to the Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
(a) It was ripped in a fight.
(b) It went through the bleach cycle.
(c) It got paint spots on it.
(d) It was thrown out by Bryson's parents.
3. What did Bryson discover about his mother from her college days?
(a) She was the National Honor Society president.
(b) She was editor of the school newspaper.
(c) She was an exchange student.
(d) She was prom queen.
4. Where were the students supposed to go during the exercise in #107?
(a) The auditorium.
(b) The cloakroom.
(c) Under their desks.
(d) The basement.
5. Which friend joined the military and died during the first Gulf War?
(a) Milton Milton.
(b) Stephen Katz.
(c) Doug Willoughby.
(d) Jed Mattes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the minimum age for admittance into the venue in #148 when Bryson was 13?
2. Bryson wrote about which relatives in Chapter 10?
3. Who was the transfer student who was drunk often at the age of 14?
4. Where did the Brysons spend a night in a cheap hotel?
5. Who launched the first satellite into space?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
2. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
3. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
4. Who was Dewey and how did he impact Bryson's job?
5. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
6. Describe the events surrounding Bryson's finally getting into the strippers' tent at the state fair.
7. What happened to The Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
8. What did the adult Bryson recall about what happened to his parents and friends?
9. Describe the Audio Visual Club and why the boys were anxious to join.
10. What were some of the unpleasant issues Americans faced in 1957 even though the Gallup organization claimed it was a very happy year?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)