|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the end of the dog in #114?
(a) He chewed a high heel shoe.
(b) He was hit by a car.
(c) He urinated on new carpet.
(d) He bit a visitor.
2. What did Bryson say about the Des Moines of his youth?
(a) In most cases, it was no longer there.
(b) It was really deteriorated.
(c) It was just the same as it always was.
(d) It has grown so much it was unrecognizable.
3. At whose house was Bryson playing when he broke the body part in #133?
(a) Eddie Corcoran's.
(b) Buddy Miller's.
(c) Duke Collins'.
(d) Arthur Bergen's.
4. Where did the elementary school students eat lunch?
(a) At home.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The auditorium.
(d) The junior high building.
5. What exercise was held at the school each month?
(a) Blizzard Drills.
(b) Tornado Drills.
(c) Fire Drills.
(d) Civil Defense Drill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the dog that harassed Bryson?
2. Research in the late 1950s indicated that ___________ caused cancer.
3. What eroded the sense of security for people in the 1950s?
4. Even though the year in #157 was a happy one, who was still excluded from many places in America?
5. What was the landscape like in the area where Bryson's grandparents lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bryson usually do when he spent time at his grandparents' home?
2. For what was Bryson most notorious in high school and what did he do after graduation?
3. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
4. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
5. What was the recovery process for Bryson's broken leg?
6. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
7. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
8. How did the very long winter season impact the school children?
9. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
10. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)