|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What killed the elm trees in Des Moines at the end of the 1950s?
(b) Dutch elm disease.
2. What did Bryson feel about where he grew up?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He didn't feel one way or the other about it.
(c) He was bored to tears.
(d) He was happy to be in a good city.
3. For how long was Bryson in a cast?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 6 weeks.
(d) 2 months.
4. What was Bryson's parents' response to the Cuban Missile Crisis?
(a) They knew they were going to die.
(b) They were cautiously optimistic.
(c) They built an air raid shelter.
(d) Everything would be fine.
5. What time did Bryson have to get to work on Sundays?
(a) Before dawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the junior high Bryson attended?
2. What color was the barn on Bryson's grandparents' farm?
3. What did Bryson buy with the money from his job?
4. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
5. What kind of tree grew in the backyard of Bryson's grandparents' farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the adult Bryson recall about the Des Moines of his youth?
2. What were the circumstances when, for the second time, Bryson realized that adults could not be trusted?
3. Describe the situation in which Bryson realized he could not trust adults.
4. Describe the scenario of sleeping on his grandparents' sleeping porch in the winter.
5. What was Bryson's job as a boy and how did his absentmindedness become a liability?
6. What did Bryson learn about his parents that pleased him and how did this change his views of his real parentage?
7. What were Bryson's favorite books in school and why did he like them?
8. What was Bryson's elementary school and what were some of the features that made it so nice?
9. What did Bryson usually do when he spent time at his grandparents' home?
10. What did Bryson buy with his newspaper route money and what other interest did he develop at this time?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)