|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appliance was treated like a treasured guest in the Bryson household?
(c) Electric can opener.
2. What disease was a major concern during the 1950s?
3. What was Bryson's father's job at the publication?
(c) Sports writer.
(d) Managing editor.
4. In what city did Bryson's mother's relatives live?
(b) San Diego.
5. Where did the radioactive ash from the bomb fall?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Navy ships.
(d) Nearby islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what decade of American life did Bryson write in this book?
2. What was another fear for people in the 1950s?
3. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
4. Who did a huge belly flop off the diving board while on the outing?
5. What did the Thunderbolt Kid do to the man who drank out of Bryson's glass at Toddle House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance did comic books have in the lives of Bryson and most other kids in the 1950s?
2. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
3. Describe a typical experience of Bryson's family stopping to see his mother's family every time they went on vacation.
4. Describe the albino Lincoln Logs experience.
5. What particular times were especially long for kids?
6. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
7. What businesses came about as the result of more cars in America?
8. What was the ritual Bryson had with his mother every Friday evening?
9. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
10. What were the results of the hydrogen bombs dropped by the United States in 1952 and 1954?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)