|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bryson recalled a day in August of ____________ when he went on an outing with a friend and his family.
2. What was a household item that people were buying in the 1950s?
(b) Trash compactor.
(c) Espresso machine.
3. What was the main street of Bryson's hometown?
(a) Grand Avenue.
(b) Commerce Street.
(c) Wayne Avenue.
(d) Main Street.
4. What appliance was treated like a treasured guest in the Bryson household?
(c) Electric can opener.
5. What became the joy of every family in the 1950s?
(a) Ice cream makers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bryson think that Sunday mornings were too long?
2. What was the name of the store where Bryson bought penny candy?
3. What did Bryson, Buddy and Bill do to the Lincoln Logs to turn them white?
4. Who was Bryson's friend who lived across the alley and had good toys?
5. What was Bryson's father's job at the publication?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did television change life for people in the 1950s?
2. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
3. How many siblings did Bryson have?
4. Describe a typical experience of Bryson's family stopping to see his mother's family every time they went on vacation.
5. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
6. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
7. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
8. What particular times were especially long for kids?
9. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
10. What other accessories did Bryson need to become the Thunderbolt Kid?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)