|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Bryson born?
2. Who liked to harass smaller children in town?
(a) The Butter boys.
(b) The Miller brothers.
(c) The Knapke twins.
(d) The Rogers boys.
3. Where did Bryson like to accompany his father because there was always the chance of injury for excitement?
(a) The lumberyard.
(b) A car dealership.
(c) The race track.
(d) The auto mechanic shop.
4. How many children under the age of 12 were living in the mid-1950s in America?
(b) 123 million.
(c) 32 million.
(d) 7 million.
5. In what state did the military begin testing atomic bombs?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the United States explode a hydrogen bomb in the Eniwetok atoll?
2. What could take Bryson a whole morning to do on the weekends?
3. What were household buying more than one of in the 1950s?
4. Why did Bryson think that Sunday mornings were too long?
5. Who was a person Bryson got to meet on one of these trips with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a typical experience of Bryson's family stopping to see his mother's family every time they went on vacation.
2. How did television change life for people in the 1950s?
3. What behaviors did teenagers exhibit in the 1950s?
4. What sorts of things did Bryson and other kids do to help pass the long days?
5. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
6. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
7. What were the results on children of the U.S. bomb testings and what happened when the tests were moved underground?
8. How many siblings did Bryson have?
9. What is the premise of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE THUNDERBOLT KID?
10. What were some of the ways that boys could see glimpses of naked women?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)