|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. America was at war with ____________ when Bryson was born.
2. Why could men and boys not see the magazine in #78?
(a) It was illegal to buy it.
(b) It was too expensive.
(c) Their wives would kill them.
(d) It was embarrassing to ask for it.
3. What was another natural threat during Bryson's childhood days?
(a) Sun poisoning.
(b) Poison sumac.
4. Where did Bryson grow up?
(a) Des Moines, Iowa.
(b) Columbus, Ohio.
(c) Butte, Montana.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
5. What was the repercussion of underground bomb tests?
(b) Destroyed phone lines.
(c) Huge craters.
(d) Sunken mines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bryson think he would never get to visit the location in #55?
2. Who did Bryson think his real father must have been?
3. Who was the Bryson family's dentist?
4. What family attraction and vacation spot opened in 1955?
5. Who tasted the albino Lincoln Logs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance did comic books have in the lives of Bryson and most other kids in the 1950s?
2. How easy was it for Bryson to find somebody to play with?
3. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
4. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
5. What were some of the appliances that people in the 1950s were excited about owning?
6. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
7. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
8. Where did Bryson's father work and what were some of the perks of the job?
9. What was the ritual Bryson had with his mother every Friday evening?
10. What particular times were especially long for kids?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)