|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bryson and his buddies do the girlie magazine's he found in his father's closet?
(a) Sold them.
(b) Highlighted certain images.
(c) Wrote balloon captions on them.
(d) Tore out some pages.
2. What was an insect that rose from the ground and could fly up someone's shorts?
(c) Lightning bug.
3. Bryson's favorite candies were almost always made of ______________.
4. How did life in the 1950s make people feel?
(a) Everything was good.
(b) They lived as if there were no tomorrow.
(c) Danger lurked around every corner.
(d) They were scared of another war.
5. By 1958, the average child in the United States carried ten times more _______________ than the year before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bryson think that Sunday mornings were too long?
2. What did Bryson's parents tell him his mother was doing when he came upon them having sex one afternoon?
3. What was Bryson's father's job at the publication?
4. Bryson recalled a day in August of ____________ when he went on an outing with a friend and his family.
5. Who was Bryson's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
2. How did Bryson get some insight into sex?
3. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
4. How did television change life for people in the 1950s?
5. Name some of the things that showed that life was simpler and safer in the 1950s.
6. What importance did comic books have in the lives of Bryson and most other kids in the 1950s?
7. What was the ritual Bryson had with his mother every Friday evening?
8. How many siblings did Bryson have?
9. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
10. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)