|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was something that Bryson's mother tended to forget?
(a) Driving directions.
(b) Where she put her keys.
(c) The safe combination.
(d) Her kids' birthdays.
2. Who was Bryson's sister?
3. For what characteristic was Bryson's father known?
(a) He was a great bowler.
(b) He was a great dancer.
(c) He was cheap.
(d) He was artistic.
4. Who was the Bryson family's dentist?
(a) Dr. D.K. Brewster.
(b) Dr. Brock.
(c) Dr. E.W. Miller.
(d) Dr. Cavanaugh.
5. What was an insect that rose from the ground and could fly up someone's shorts?
(c) Lightning bug.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Bryson's mother's relatives live?
2. Why did Bryson hate going to the dentist?
3. Where did the radioactive ash from the bomb fall?
4. In what year was Bryson born?
5. What could take Bryson a whole morning to do on the weekends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behaviors did teenagers exhibit in the 1950s?
2. How did Bryson describe Des Moines and the area of the city where he lived?
3. Name some of the things that showed that life was simpler and safer in the 1950s.
4. What particular times were especially long for kids?
5. What were some of the appliances that people in the 1950s were excited about owning?
6. What form of exercise did Bryson's father like to practice and what was an unusual location for his exercise routine?
7. Describe the events at the lake and why this was one of the best days of Bryson's life?
8. What was Bryson's notion of how slowly time passed for kids?
9. Who was Joseph R. McCarthy and what was his role in the fear of Communism that spread across America?
10. What were some of the regulations about sex in the 1950s?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)