|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Bryson and his friends have fun most of the year?
(a) Swimming pool.
(b) Movie theater.
(c) Horse track.
(d) Go-kart park.
2. What job did Bryson have during the 1950s and 1960s?
(a) Bus boy.
(b) Grocery bagger.
(c) Newspaper boy.
(d) Delivery boy.
3. Where did the elementary school students eat lunch?
(a) At home.
(b) The cafeteria.
(c) The junior high building.
(d) The auditorium.
4. What was the one constant in the potluck suppers in town?
(b) Meat loaf.
5. Discoveries about his parents' successes made Bryson revise the story of _____________.
(a) his parentage.
(b) his school days.
(c) their courtship.
(d) his achievements.
6. What killed the elm trees in Des Moines at the end of the 1950s?
(d) Dutch elm disease.
7. Where was Bryson sent quite a bit as punishment?
(a) The cloakroom.
(b) The Principal's office.
(d) The AV room.
8. How old was Bryson when he broke the body part in #133?
9. What did Bryson and other boys especially look forward to at the venue in #147?
(a) The strippers' tent.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The shooting gallery.
(d) The dunk 'em booth.
10. What did Bryson discover about his mother from her college days?
(a) She was editor of the school newspaper.
(b) She was the National Honor Society president.
(c) She was prom queen.
(d) She was an exchange student.
11. What university did Bryson's mother attend?
(c) Iowa State.
12. Who was the friend who introduced Bryson to the finer things in life?
(a) Jeremy Miller.
(b) James Hall.
(c) Jared Clark.
(d) Jed Mattes.
13. Where did Bryson's grandparents go nearly every night in the summer?
(a) Drive-in movie.
(b) Ice cream shop.
(c) Potluck dinners.
(d) VFW hall.
14. Which friend got Bryson into the strippers' tent?
(a) Milton Milton.
15. What eroded the sense of security for people in the 1950s?
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Great Depression.
(d) Soviet long range missiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Brysons spend a night in a cheap hotel?
2. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
3. What did Bryson feel about where he grew up?
4. What quality hindered Bryson in his work?
5. What did Bryson threaten to do to Bryson when he saw the amount of absences on his report cards?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)