|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the one constant in the potluck suppers in town?
(c) Meat loaf.
2. What game did the person in #152 introduce Bryson to?
(a) Match fighting.
(b) Pac Man.
(c) Red Rover.
3. Who launched the first satellite into space?
(b) The Soviets.
4. What did Bryson and other boys especially look forward to at the venue in #147?
(a) The dunk 'em booth.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The strippers' tent.
(d) The shooting gallery.
5. In what year did Bryson's father die?
6. What club did Doug Willoughby take over?
(a) The Audio-Visual Club.
(b) The FFA Club.
(c) The 4-H Club.
(d) The Drama Club.
7. Which friend became Bryson's literary agent?
(a) Doug Willoughby.
(b) Jed Mattes.
(c) Stephen Katz.
(d) Milton Milton.
8. What university did Bryson's mother attend?
(b) Iowa State.
9. What happened to the Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey?
(a) It was thrown out by Bryson's parents.
(b) It went through the bleach cycle.
(c) It got paint spots on it.
(d) It was ripped in a fight.
10. What were Bryson's favorite books?
(a) Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
(b) The Adventures of Aqua Man.
(c) Clifford the Dog.
(d) Dick and Jane books.
11. In what year did the Thunderbolt Kid's sacred jersey meet its fate?
12. What eroded the sense of security for people in the 1950s?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(c) Soviet long range missiles.
(d) The Great Depression.
13. What job did Bryson have during the 1950s and 1960s?
(a) Grocery bagger.
(b) Newspaper boy.
(c) Bus boy.
(d) Delivery boy.
14. Which friend got Bryson into the strippers' tent?
(c) Milton Milton.
15. In what year did the first shopping mall open in Des Moines?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bryson say about the Des Moines of his youth?
2. What was the landscape like in the area where Bryson's grandparents lived?
3. What was the name of the broken down amusement park?
4. Where were the students supposed to go during the exercise in #107?
5. Research in the late 1950s indicated that ___________ caused cancer.
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)