|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were all the students so sleepy in school?
(a) It was really boring.
(b) They had to get up too early.
(c) They ate big lunches.
(d) It was too hot inside.
2. Research in the late 1950s indicated that ___________ caused cancer.
(c) exhaust fumes.
(d) paint thinner.
3. What eroded the sense of security for people in the 1950s?
(a) Soviet long range missiles.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) The Vietnam War.
4. What supermarket remained from Bryson's youth?
5. What was the one constant in the potluck suppers in town?
(d) Meat loaf.
6. Where did Bryson's grandparents go nearly every night in the summer?
(a) Ice cream shop.
(b) Potluck dinners.
(c) Drive-in movie.
(d) VFW hall.
7. What did Bryson buy with the money from his job?
(a) A bicycle.
(b) A tent.
(c) A portable TV.
(d) A set of golf clubs.
8. Who launched the first satellite into space?
(a) The Soviets.
9. In what year did the first shopping mall open in Des Moines?
10. What was the coldest part of Bryson's grandparents' house?
(a) The attic.
(b) The sleeping porch.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The cellar.
11. What kind of tree grew in the backyard of Bryson's grandparents' farm?
12. What did Bryson and his friends do at the venue in #149?
(a) Took naps.
(b) Did belly floppers.
(c) Raced cars.
(d) Had popcorn fights.
13. What did Bryson say about the Des Moines of his youth?
(a) It was just the same as it always was.
(b) In most cases, it was no longer there.
(c) It was really deteriorated.
(d) It has grown so much it was unrecognizable.
14. Where were the students supposed to go during the exercise in #107?
(a) The auditorium.
(b) The basement.
(c) The cloakroom.
(d) Under their desks.
15. Who was the only former member of the club in #164 who was allowed to remain?
(c) Milton Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Brysons spend a night in a cheap hotel?
2. What game did the person in #152 introduce Bryson to?
3. What was the name of Bryson's elementary school?
4. In what year did Bryson's father die?
5. What topic did Bryson's father talk to the family about periodically?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)