|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was another natural threat during Bryson's childhood days?
(c) Poison sumac.
(d) Sun poisoning.
2. What was the repercussion of underground bomb tests?
(a) Destroyed phone lines.
(b) Huge craters.
(c) Sunken mines.
3. What did Bryson's parents tell him his mother was doing when he came upon them having sex one afternoon?
(a) Changing the bedding.
(b) Looking for dirty socks.
(c) Testing out a new mattress.
(d) Checking his father's teeth.
4. What was Bryson's father's job at the publication?
(a) Managing editor.
(d) Sports writer.
5. What magazine offered men and boys the chance to see naked women?
6. Bryson recalled a day in August of ____________ when he went on an outing with a friend and his family.
7. What could take Bryson a whole morning to do on the weekends?
(a) Lacing his shoes properly.
(b) Mowing the lawn.
(c) Sweeping the garage.
(d) Cleaning his room.
8. How did life in the 1950s make people feel?
(a) Everything was good.
(b) They lived as if there were no tomorrow.
(c) They were scared of another war.
(d) Danger lurked around every corner.
9. Where did Bryson and his mother go for pie after the movies?
(c) Waffle House.
(d) Toddle House.
10. Why could men and boys not see the magazine in #78?
(a) It was embarrassing to ask for it.
(b) Their wives would kill them.
(c) It was illegal to buy it.
(d) It was too expensive.
11. Where did the radioactive ash from the bomb fall?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) Nearby islands.
(c) Navy ships.
(d) San Francisco.
12. What did Bryson and his buddies do the girlie magazine's he found in his father's closet?
(a) Tore out some pages.
(b) Wrote balloon captions on them.
(c) Sold them.
(d) Highlighted certain images.
13. In what unusual place did Bryson's father practice his exercise?
(b) Bathroom stalls.
(d) Hardware stores.
14. Who liked to harass smaller children in town?
(a) The Miller brothers.
(b) The Butter boys.
(c) The Knapke twins.
(d) The Rogers boys.
15. Why did Bryson think that Sunday mornings were too long?
(a) He waited for the TV programs to start.
(b) He wasn't allowed to sleep in.
(c) He had to do his paper route.
(d) He had to go to church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the store where Bryson bought penny candy?
2. Where did Bryson go on the outing with his friend and his family?
3. What super power did the Thunderbolt Kid use primarily?
4. What kind of kit did Bryson get for Christmas one year that was disappointing?
5. Who did a huge belly flop off the diving board while on the outing?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)