|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word was not allowed on television in the 1950s?
2. Who liked to harass smaller children in town?
(a) The Butter boys.
(b) The Knapke twins.
(c) The Miller brothers.
(d) The Rogers boys.
3. In what state did the military begin testing atomic bombs?
4. What was a household item that people were buying in the 1950s?
(b) Espresso machine.
(d) Trash compactor.
5. What unusual physical characteristic did Bryson's uncle have?
(a) A streak of white hair in his black hair.
(b) One blue eye and one green eye.
(c) A hole in his throat.
(d) A peg leg.
6. In what year did the movie in #73 come out?
7. What did Bryson's parents tell him his mother was doing when he came upon them having sex one afternoon?
(a) Checking his father's teeth.
(b) Changing the bedding.
(c) Testing out a new mattress.
(d) Looking for dirty socks.
8. Which state did the U.S. use as a test site?
(c) South Dakota.
9. What disease was a major concern during the 1950s?
10. What did boys charge other boys for once they discovered them?
(a) Risque postcards.
(b) X-rated movies.
(c) Holes in walls where undressed women could be seen.
(d) Porn magazines.
11. What was something that Bryson's mother tended to forget?
(a) Driving directions.
(b) The safe combination.
(c) Her kids' birthdays.
(d) Where she put her keys.
12. What did Bryson name the green jersey with the golden thunderbolt on the chest?
(a) Invisibility cloak.
(b) Zip Zag Zap.
(c) Sacred Jersey of Zap.
(d) Bryson's Bolt Brigade.
13. What did Bryson keep for years just for the sake of conversation?
(b) Knee scars.
(c) Ball cards.
(d) Comic books.
14. In what ocean is the Eniwetok atoll located?
15. Where did the Brysons visit during their trip to the state in #59?
(b) The White House.
(c) Universal Studios.
(d) The Empire State Building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a popular spot for kids to play in in the 1950s?
2. What was the main street of Bryson's hometown?
3. Who was President of the United States when Bryson was born?
4. What magazine offered men and boys the chance to see naked women?
5. How did life in the 1950s make people feel?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)