|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word was not allowed on television in the 1950s?
2. Who did a huge belly flop off the diving board while on the outing?
(b) Milton Milton.
(d) Mr. Milton.
3. What became the joy of every family in the 1950s?
(c) Ice cream makers.
4. Who was President of the United States when Bryson was born?
(a) Harry Truman.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
5. What did Bryson say was a myth about childhood?
(a) Every birthday is happy.
(b) Time goes by fast.
(c) Every day is an adventure.
(d) Any Christmas gift is the best.
6. Why did Bryson think he would never get to visit the location in #55?
(a) It was too far away.
(b) He was too old.
(c) His father was cheap.
(d) His mother said the rides were not safe.
7. Why could men and boys not see the magazine in #78?
(a) It was too expensive.
(b) It was embarrassing to ask for it.
(c) It was illegal to buy it.
(d) Their wives would kill them.
8. What did Bryson and his friends make a little neighborhood kid eat once as an experiment?
(b) Kitty litter.
(d) Red berries in the backyard.
9. How did life in the 1950s make people feel?
(a) Everything was good.
(b) They were scared of another war.
(c) Danger lurked around every corner.
(d) They lived as if there were no tomorrow.
10. Where did Bryson grow up?
(a) Des Moines, Iowa.
(b) Butte, Montana.
(c) Columbus, Ohio.
(d) Bangor, Maine.
11. Who distributed fish tainted from the radioactive ash?
(a) New England seafood companies.
(b) Malaysian shrimp boats.
(c) U.S. Navy.
(d) Japanese fishermen.
12. Where did the Brysons visit during their trip to the state in #59?
(a) The Empire State Building.
(b) Universal Studios.
(c) The White House.
13. What did the Thunderbolt Kid do to the man who drank out of Bryson's glass at Toddle House?
(a) Pushed him off the stool.
(b) Tripped him and made him fall.
(c) Sent bolts of electricity into his back.
(d) Sent laster beams into his eyes.
14. Where did the Brysons spend Christmas of 1960?
(b) New York.
(c) Washington, D.C.
15. Who was Bryson's sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease was a major concern during the 1950s?
2. In what month was Bryson born?
3. Who was the girl in Bryson's neighborhood that everyone wanted to see naked?
4. America was at war with ____________ when Bryson was born.
5. Who was the doctor who made a house call to tend to Bryson's head injury?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)