|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michael K only do sparingly so as not to call attention to his good and his new home?
2. Michael K ignored his body's cries for ________ and simply stayed in his new home.
3. The camp where Michael K was kept was built on the old ___________ at the edge of town.
4. While Michael could not _____________, he said there was nothing wrong with him.
5. What was Michael K too weak to fight off, so it was inserted into his body to help him feel better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did K like to hold against himself when he was lying in bed though he was not recovering?
2. What do Captain Noel and the doctor decide to do with K after they realize he did not do anything?
3. Where was K admitted for medical assistance during the first part of this chapter?
4. Why did the doctor want the captain to discharge Michael out of the camp?
5. What was the name that was given to Michael by the Captain, even though Michael tried to explain what his actual name was?
6. What were some of the signs of K's poor condition when he collapsed during physical training?
7. What did the doctor think K's mother's influence was on K's current habit of not eating any food?
8. What is the doctor's explanation of K's refusal to eat camp food during his stay at the camp?
9. What news did K not seem very interested in when the doctor told him this information?
10. What are some of the things which are added to the refugee camps in order to make them internment camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trip that Anna and Michael make exhausts both of them.
Part 1: Do you think Anna and Michael should have attempted the trip at all? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think Anna would have died had she stayed where she was before the trip? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Michael should have pushed Anna to travel in the way she did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Michael's mother is repulsed by the way her son looks when he is born.
Part 1: Why do you think Michael's mother can't get past the idea of his hare lip?
Part 2: Do you think a mother should love their child unconditionally? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Michael's mother's reaction affected him in his life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, K had no shame in being simple and being a drifter in life.
Part 1: Do you think K was truly happy with the way his life turned out? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you believe that K died at the end of the book? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that perhaps death is the truest form of freedom? Why or why not?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)