|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with Anna that Michael K decided that she needed to be taken to a hospital?
2. Where does Anna decide that she wants to do instead of staying where she is with her employers?
3. What would the hospital NOT give to Michael K's mother, even though she desperately needed it?
4. Where did Michael K sleep when he could not find any gardening work after the death of his mother?
5. What did Michael K begin to do as he become more and more despondent about his situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after K ate the goat that took him such a long time to kill?
2. What happened because Michael K was judged to be not smart enough for regular school?
3. What was K going to do with the money that Anna had saved up over the years?
4. What did Michael K's deformity cause him trouble with when he was just a baby?
5. What did K decide to do when he could not get any more garden work after the death of his mother?
6. What happened one day at the Buhrmann's apartment while Anna and K were trying to live there?
7. What hindered K and Anna's movements after there were a number of riots in the area?
8. What kind of job did K get when he left school at the age of 15 in the book?
9. Why did K enjoy working in solitude during his time with the parks and garden department?
10. Why weren't Michael and his mother allowed to travel through a checkpoint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Michael doesn't seem to take care of himself, he does still want to be free, escaping whenever he can.
Part 1: Why do you think Michael is always determined to be free?
Part 2: How do you think Michael finds the strength to escape?
Part 3: Would you rather eat and be in prison or be free and starve? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The camp's accommodations become worse once the Captain is in charge.
Part 1: Why do you think the Captain seemingly doesn't care about the welfare of the campers?
Part 2: Do you think the Captain should have been nicer to the campers? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the Captain's goals for the camp and its inhabitants really were?
Essay Topic 3
Michael was often isolated from other children when he was growing up as his mother kept him away from other children.
Part 1: Why do you think Michael's mother kept him away from other children?
Part 2: Do you agree that Michael should have been kept away from other children? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might a child be affected by being kept alone for long periods of time?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)