Lesson 1 (from Chapter 1)
The idea of a mother being repulsed by their child is something that may put off a reader in the beginning. Today's objective is to discuss the presence of a physical deformity and how it can affect a person's life.
1. Have each student make a list of the physical deformities they've seen in their lives.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think they would care if they had a hare lip. Why or why not?
3. As a class, have the students discuss how a physical deformity can affect a person. Is it always a negative thing to have a deformity? Why or why not? What are some of the positive effects of a deformity?
4. Homework: Have each student discuss what physical deformity they might be repulsed by. Why?
5. Homework: Have students discuss whether they think physical deformities should affect a person's life. Why...
This section contains 5,315 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)