|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Widow Wadham kick out of her way in Volume 8?
2. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
3. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
4. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
5. Who is Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
2. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
3. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
4. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
5. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
6. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
7. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
8. What are the "beds of justice"?
9. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
10. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)