|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
2. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
3. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
4. What do Dr. Slop and Susannah throw at each other in Volume 6?
5. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
2. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
3. What are the "beds of justice"?
4. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
5. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
6. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
7. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
8. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
9. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
10. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)