|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Volume 5, who finds Tristram after he has been injured?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Shandy accompany Tristram to France?
3. What does the commissary accidentally damage in Volume 7?
4. Which city does Tristram describe as nasty and foul-smelling?
5. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
2. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
3. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
4. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
6. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
7. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
8. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
9. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
10. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the perception Sterne's characters have about responsibility. Which characters take responsibility for their actions and which are always denying or ignoring their responsibilities? What point might Sterne be making about responsibility and compassion?
Essay Topic 2
Why might Sterne have had so many of his characters injured in the novel? How is Tristram's birth injury related to the injury of other characters? What injures do other characters suffer and how do these injuries express the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)