|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susannah burn in Volume 6?
2. What are the "beds of justice"?
3. What reaction does Walter Shandy have to Bobby's death?
4. Which city does Tristram describe as nasty and foul-smelling?
5. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
2. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
3. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
4. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
6. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
7. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
8. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
9. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
10. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)