|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
2. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
3. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
4. How does Tristram describe love in his alphabetical listing?
5. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
2. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
3. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
4. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
5. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
8. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
9. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
10. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)