|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Le Fever?
2. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
3. Who does Tristram consult for advice in Volume 7?
4. What does Susannah burn in Volume 6?
5. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
2. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
3. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
4. What are the "beds of justice"?
5. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
8. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
9. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
10. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
What impact does superficial and self-serving behavior have on the characters in the novel? Do any of the characters demonstrate growth or emotional development? What point might Sterne be making about human behavior?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)