|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnathan's profession?
2. What reaction does Trim have to Bobby's death?
3. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
4. How does Tristram escape death?
5. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
2. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
3. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
4. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
5. What are the "beds of justice"?
6. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
7. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
8. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
9. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
10. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 2
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)