|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnathan's profession?
2. What is in Dover?
3. Who does Tristram consult for advice in Volume 7?
4. Who is Tom?
5. Who explains to Toby that he is in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
2. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
3. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
4. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
5. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
6. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
7. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
8. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
9. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
10. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 3
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)