|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
2. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
3. Who is Tom?
4. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
5. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
2. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
3. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
4. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
5. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
6. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
7. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
8. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
9. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
10. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)