|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
2. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
3. Where does Lieutenant Le Fever die?
4. On what day does Trim fall in love?
5. What does Trim inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
2. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
5. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
6. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
7. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
8. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
9. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
10. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What impact does superficial and self-serving behavior have on the characters in the novel? Do any of the characters demonstrate growth or emotional development? What point might Sterne be making about human behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)