|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
2. How does Tristram escape death?
3. Why does Toby spend a few nights at the Widow Wadham's house?
4. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
5. Who plans on spying on Toby through a keyhole?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)