|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
2. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
3. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
4. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
5. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
2. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
3. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
4. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
5. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
6. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
7. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
8. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
9. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
10. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism evident in the novel. What is the significance of Bobby's death and Tristram's journey through France? How are symbols or symbolic imagery used to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the perception Sterne's characters have about responsibility. Which characters take responsibility for their actions and which are always denying or ignoring their responsibilities? What point might Sterne be making about responsibility and compassion?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)