|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Walter want to have tutor Tristram?
2. What does Susannah burn in Volume 6?
3. What do Dr. Slop and Susannah throw at each other in Volume 6?
4. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
5. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
2. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
3. What are the "beds of justice"?
4. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
5. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
6. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
7. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
8. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
9. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
10. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism evident in the novel. What is the significance of Bobby's death and Tristram's journey through France? How are symbols or symbolic imagery used to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What lessons does Sterne impart about communication? How do the characters express ideas to each other? What element of communication is missing from their dialogue and how does this affect character development?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)