|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Johnathan's profession?
2. Who does Walter want to have tutor Tristram?
3. Who feels guilty about removing the lead from the window?
4. What does Walter Shandy like to drink?
5. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
2. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
3. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
4. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
5. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
6. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
7. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
8. What are the "beds of justice"?
9. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
10. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)