|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
2. Why does Tristram relieve himself out the window in Volume 5?
3. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
4. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
5. In Chapter 1 of Volume 5, what subject does Tristram discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
2. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
3. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
4. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
5. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
8. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
9. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
10. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)