|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tristram travel through the southern region of France?
2. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
3. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
4. With whom does Trim fall in love?
5. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
2. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
3. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
4. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
5. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
6. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
7. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
8. What are the "beds of justice"?
9. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
10. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism evident in the novel. What is the significance of Bobby's death and Tristram's journey through France? How are symbols or symbolic imagery used to advance the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)