|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
2. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
3. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
4. Who needs to have an eye examined in Volume 8?
5. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
Essay Topic 1
What lessons does Sterne impart about communication? How do the characters express ideas to each other? What element of communication is missing from their dialogue and how does this affect character development?
Essay Topic 2
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
Essay Topic 3
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)