|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Shandy accompany Tristram to France?
2. What do Dr. Slop and Susannah throw at each other in Volume 6?
3. With whom does Trim fall in love?
4. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
5. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
Why might Sterne have had so many of his characters injured in the novel? How is Tristram's birth injury related to the injury of other characters? What injures do other characters suffer and how do these injuries express the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)