|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
2. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
3. Which city does Tristram describe as nasty and foul-smelling?
4. Who is present when Tristram is injured in Volume 5?
5. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Sterne have had so many of his characters injured in the novel? How is Tristram's birth injury related to the injury of other characters? What injures do other characters suffer and how do these injuries express the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Essay Topic 3
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)