Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
2. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
3. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
4. Who needs to have an eye examined in Volume 8?
5. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)