|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans on spying on Toby through a keyhole?
2. Who explains to Toby that he is in love?
3. On what day does Trim fall in love?
4. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
5. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
2. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
3. What are the "beds of justice"?
4. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
5. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
6. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
7. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
8. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
9. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
10. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)