|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tom?
2. Who plans on spying on Toby through a keyhole?
3. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
4. In Chapter 2 of Volume 8, to what does Tristram equate with love?
5. What does Billy inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
2. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
3. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
4. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
5. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
8. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
9. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
10. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)