|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
2. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
3. In Volume 8, which character makes a battle plan with Toby to approach the Widow Wadham?
4. Who does Tristram consult for advice in Volume 7?
5. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
2. What are the "beds of justice"?
3. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
4. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
8. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
9. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
10. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
Essay Topic 2
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)