|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Slop angry at Obidiah in Volume 3?
2. What do Walter and Toby do after Dr. Slop leaves the parlor?
3. What type of handkerchief does Walter Shandy use in Volume 3?
4. In Volume 4, why does the man with the big nose travel to Strasborg?
5. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
2. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's medical abilities?
3. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
4. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
5. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
6. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
7. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
8. Describe Dr. Slop.
9. Describe Walter Shandy.
10. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)