|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Walter and Toby do after Dr. Slop leaves the parlor?
2. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
3. Who does Mrs. Shandy wish to have deliver her child?
4. What falls after Walter realizes Tristram has been named incorrectly?
5. To what does Walter Shandy attribute his family problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
2. Describe Dr. Slop.
3. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
4. Describe Yorick.
5. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
6. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
7. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
8. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
9. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
10. Describe Walter Shandy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
Essay Topic 3
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)