|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Shandy want to name his newborn son?
2. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
3. What is in Flanders?
4. Who does Tristram compare to the main character in Don Quixote?
5. What animal does Toby gently catch and release when Tristram is ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
2. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
3. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
4. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
5. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
6. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
7. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
8. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
9. Describe Yorick.
10. Describe Dr. Slop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 2
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)