|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yorick?
2. Where on his body is Trim wounded?
3. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
4. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
5. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
2. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Why does Sterne follow Toby's entrance into the widow's house with two blank chapters?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
10. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
Essay Topic 1
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 2
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)