|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of baby Tristram's body is damaged during delivery?
2. Who is Mr. Yorick?
3. Who helps the village midwife attain a license?
4. How tall is Dr. Slop?
5. What is Yorick's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
2. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
3. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
4. What point does Walter Shandy make in his discourse about womens' obsession with sex?
5. How does Toby misinterpret Widow Wadham's flirtations?
6. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
7. Describe Walter Shandy.
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
10. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does superficial and self-serving behavior have on the characters in the novel? Do any of the characters demonstrate growth or emotional development? What point might Sterne be making about human behavior?
Essay Topic 3
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)