Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yorick?
2. Where on his body is Trim wounded?
3. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
4. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
5. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
2. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Why does Sterne follow Toby's entrance into the widow's house with two blank chapters?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
10. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
Essay Topic 1
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)