|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern does Walter Shandy express about his son's birth in Volume 2?
2. What type of handkerchief does Walter Shandy use in Volume 3?
3. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
4. What tune does Toby whistle in Volume 3?
5. Whom does Phutatoruis blame for his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
2. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
3. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
4. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
5. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
6. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
7. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
8. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
9. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
10. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
Essay Topic 1
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
This section contains 1,660 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)