|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concern does Walter Shandy express about his son's birth in Volume 2?
2. Which famous poet does Tristram quote in Volume 1?
3. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
4. What falls after Walter realizes Tristram has been named incorrectly?
5. To what does Walter Shandy attribute his family problems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
2. How is Tristram's face deformed?
3. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
4. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
5. Describe Tristram Shandy.
6. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
7. Describe Dr. Slop.
8. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
9. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
10. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 3
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)