|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yorick christen Tristram with the wrong name?
2. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
3. What type of book does Toby plan to write?
4. Where does the preface appear in Volume 3?
5. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
2. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
3. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
4. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
5. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
6. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
7. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
8. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
9. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
10. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
Essay Topic 2
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the perception Sterne's characters have about responsibility. Which characters take responsibility for their actions and which are always denying or ignoring their responsibilities? What point might Sterne be making about responsibility and compassion?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)