|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dolly?
2. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
3. With whom does Aunt Dinah have an affair?
4. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
5. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
2. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
3. Describe Tristram Shandy.
4. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
5. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
6. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
7. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
8. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
9. Describe Dr. Slop.
10. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What views are expressed about "modern" (as in the current 18th century practices) medicine as compared to folk medicine in the novel? How does the midwife's practical experience compare to the doctor's formal medical training? What concerns are raised about each character's medical abilities and how are these concerns addressed in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)