|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the village midwife attain a license?
2. What does Phutatoruis exclaim when he is injured?
3. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the request to come to the birthing room?
4. What is Yorick's first name?
5. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
2. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
3. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
4. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
5. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
8. Describe Toby Shandy.
9. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
10. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism evident in the novel. What is the significance of Bobby's death and Tristram's journey through France? How are symbols or symbolic imagery used to advance the plot?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)