|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
2. How does Dr. Slop injure baby Tristram during delivery?
3. How many miles away does Dr. Slop live?
4. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
5. What comfort does Dr. Slop offer Walter Shandy in Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Trim attempt to dissuade Toby from approaching the Widow Wadham in Volume 9?
2. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
3. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
4. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
5. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
6. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
7. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
8. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
9. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
10. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
This section contains 1,647 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)