|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Slop angry at Obidiah in Volume 3?
2. Who is Toby Shandy?
3. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
4. Where does the preface appear in Volume 3?
5. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
2. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
3. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
4. Describe Walter Shandy.
5. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
8. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
9. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
10. Describe Toby Shandy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)