|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tristram compare to the main character in Don Quixote?
2. Of what descent is Mr. Yorick's family?
3. To what does Walter Shandy attribute his family problems?
4. How many miles away does Dr. Slop live?
5. What concern does Walter Shandy express about his son's birth in Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
2. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
3. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
4. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
5. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
6. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
7. Describe Toby Shandy.
8. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
9. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
10. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is time used in the novel? What inconsistencies are evident in Tristram's perception of time? What explanation does Tristram give for his perception of time and how does this explanation relate to Sterne's theme of individuality?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the novel. What ironies result from Uncle Toby's hobbies? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the novel? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)