|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Diduis' profession?
2. Who orders hot chestnuts from the kitchen in Volume 4?
3. To what does Walter Shandy attribute his family problems?
4. What is in Flanders?
5. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
2. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
3. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
4. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
5. Describe Tristram Shandy.
6. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
7. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
8. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
9. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
10. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne use stream of consciousness to develop Tristram's narration? What elements of Tristram's character can be seen through the use of this literary device? What effect does this form of narration have on plot development and how does it bring to light the important themes Sterne expresses?
Essay Topic 3
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)