|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When considering names for his newborn son, which name does Walter like the least?
2. When was Tristram conceived?
3. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
4. Who is Hammond Shandy?
5. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
2. How is Tristram's face deformed?
3. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
4. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
5. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
6. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
7. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
8. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
9. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
10. Describe Tristram Shandy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)