Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yorick?
2. Where on his body is Trim wounded?
3. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
4. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
5. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
2. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Why does Sterne follow Toby's entrance into the widow's house with two blank chapters?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
10. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)