|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tristram compare to the main character in Don Quixote?
2. What tune does Toby whistle in Volume 3?
3. Where on his body is Toby Shandy wounded?
4. How does Dr. Slop injure baby Tristram during delivery?
5. What part of baby Tristram's body is damaged during delivery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
2. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's medical abilities?
3. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
4. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
5. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
6. Describe Dr. Slop.
7. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
8. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
9. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
10. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What lessons does Sterne impart about communication? How do the characters express ideas to each other? What element of communication is missing from their dialogue and how does this affect character development?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)