|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Volume 4, why does the man with the big nose travel to Strasborg?
2. Who is Trim?
3. Who delivers a fine sermon while the other characters wait for Tristram's birth?
4. What is Homenas?
5. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
2. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
3. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
4. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
5. Describe Toby Shandy.
6. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
7. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
8. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
9. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
10. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What lessons does Sterne impart about communication? How do the characters express ideas to each other? What element of communication is missing from their dialogue and how does this affect character development?
Essay Topic 2
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)