Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yorick?
2. Where on his body is Trim wounded?
3. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
4. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
5. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
2. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
5. Why does Sterne follow Toby's entrance into the widow's house with two blank chapters?
6. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
7. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
10. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)