|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phutatoruis exclaim when he is injured?
2. In Volume 3, what confusion does Toby have about Dr. Slop's creation?
3. Who has the power to change Tristram's name?
4. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
5. Who is the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
2. Describe Tristram Shandy.
3. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
5. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
6. Describe Walter Shandy.
7. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
8. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
9. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
10. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
What views about social class are expressed in the novel? How do the Shandys treat their servants? Why does Dr. Slop make such a point to verbally abuse Obidiah and complain about the midwife? What perception of social class does Tristram express?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)