|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Yorick?
2. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
3. Which famous poet does Tristram quote in Volume 1?
4. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
5. In Volume 3, what does Dr. Slop create in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
2. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
3. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
4. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
5. Describe Yorick.
6. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
7. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
8. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
9. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
10. What distracts Walter Shandy from his ire at the end of Volume 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Toby and Walter Shandy's characters. How are these characters foils? How does each character's personality traits enhance the other's character? What philosophies bind or divide them?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)