|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase is inscribed on Mr. Yorick's gravestone?
2. When was Tristram conceived?
3. What is Diduis' profession?
4. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
5. What type of handkerchief does Walter Shandy use in Volume 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
2. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
3. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
4. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
5. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
6. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
7. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
8. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
9. Describe Yorick.
10. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does superficial and self-serving behavior have on the characters in the novel? Do any of the characters demonstrate growth or emotional development? What point might Sterne be making about human behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the perception Sterne's characters have about responsibility. Which characters take responsibility for their actions and which are always denying or ignoring their responsibilities? What point might Sterne be making about responsibility and compassion?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)