|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
2. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
3. What tune does Toby whistle in Volume 3?
4. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
5. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
2. How is Tristram's face deformed?
3. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
4. How does Yorick assist the midwife?
5. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
6. Describe Dr. Slop.
7. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
8. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
9. Describe Walter Shandy.
10. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sterne's Yorick with Shakespeare's Yorick. How are both characters tragic? What role does Sterne's Yorick play in Tristram's life compared to the role Shakespeare's Yorick plays in Hamlet's life? Why might Sterne have chosen Yorick to deliver the last line of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 3
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)