|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yorick christen Tristram with the wrong name?
2. Where on his body is Trim wounded?
3. When considering names for his newborn son, which name does Walter like the least?
4. Whom does Phutatoruis blame for his injury?
5. With whom does Aunt Dinah have an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tristram end up with the wrong name?
2. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
3. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
4. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
5. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
6. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
7. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
8. Describe Toby Shandy.
9. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
10. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sterne describe the roles of men and women in the novel? How does the 18th century perception of women and their roles in society affect their action and dialogue? How do the perceptions of his father and uncle affect Tristram's perception of women?
Essay Topic 3
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)