|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the power to change Tristram's name?
2. What is Homenas?
3. Who does Mrs. Shandy wish to have deliver her child?
4. Who is sent to fetch the midwife?
5. Who is present at Mr. Yorick's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
2. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
3. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
4. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
5. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
6. How is Tristram's face deformed?
7. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
8. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
9. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
10. Why is Dr. Slop angry with Obidiah in Volume 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What lessons does Sterne impart about communication? How do the characters express ideas to each other? What element of communication is missing from their dialogue and how does this affect character development?
Essay Topic 2
From what type of death is Tristram trying to escape? How is death used to create humor? What insight into Tristram's character does the theme of death give the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the perception Sterne's characters have about responsibility. Which characters take responsibility for their actions and which are always denying or ignoring their responsibilities? What point might Sterne be making about responsibility and compassion?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)