|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
2. How many miles away does Dr. Slop live?
3. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
4. How does Dr. Slop injure baby Tristram during delivery?
5. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
2. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
3. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
4. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
5. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
6. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
7. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
8. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
9. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
10. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of the novel affect the mood of the story? Describe the differences between Sterne's masculine and feminine settings. Why does the masculine setting dominate the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the novel? How does foreshadowing motivate the action of the plot? How does Sterne use foreshadowing as a marketing tool?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism evident in the novel. What is the significance of Bobby's death and Tristram's journey through France? How are symbols or symbolic imagery used to advance the plot?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)