|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Trim's true name?
2. Why does Toby Shandy come to live with Walter and his family?
3. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
4. What book does Walter Shandy hand Dr. Slop after he cuts his thumb?
5. Who is Mr. Yorick?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
2. How does Walter Shandy help his brother after he returns from war?
3. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
4. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
5. With what hobby is Toby Shandy obsessed?
6. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
7. Describe Walter Shandy.
8. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's medical abilities?
9. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
10. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does superficial and self-serving behavior have on the characters in the novel? Do any of the characters demonstrate growth or emotional development? What point might Sterne be making about human behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Of what importance is Tristram's name in the novel? What significance does Walter Shandy place on names and why does Tristram's name disturb him? Why does Diduis refuse to change Tristram's name?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)