|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his body is Toby Shandy wounded?
2. What tune does Toby whistle in Volume 3?
3. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
4. What is dropped into Phutatoruis' lap in Volume 4?
5. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
2. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
3. What topics do the men discuss in Volume 2 while waiting for Tristram's birth?
4. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
5. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
6. Describe Dr. Slop.
7. Describe Toby Shandy.
8. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
9. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
10. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
Essay Topic 1
How are love and marriage depicted in the novel? How do the male characters view love and marriage? How do the female characters view love and marriage? What lesson does Tristram learn about love?
Essay Topic 2
How are philosophies expressed in the novel? Describe the purpose Sterne may have had for Walter Shandy's philosophical ramblings. What philosophies does Tristram express and how do these ideas affect the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the protagonist and antagonists of the novel. How is Tristram an "anti-hero"? What conflicts does he endure? How are the conflicts of the novel resolved?
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)