|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2 of Volume 8, to what does Tristram equate with love?
2. Why does Toby spend a few nights at the Widow Wadham's house?
(a) The construction of his house is incomplete.
(b) His house floods.
(c) She hosts a large party.
(d) She needs manly work done in the house.
3. Who is Billy Le Fever?
(a) Lieutenant Le Fever's son.
(b) Trim's cousin.
(c) Toby's nephew.
(d) Toby's cousin.
4. What reaction does Susannah have to Bobby's death?
(a) She comments philosophically.
(b) She continues reading her book.
(c) She runs into the kitchen weeping.
(d) She goes back to sleep.
5. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Widow Wadham kick out of her way in Volume 8?
2. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
3. Who needs to have an eye examined in Volume 8?
4. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
5. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
2. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
3. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
4. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
5. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
6. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
7. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
8. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
9. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
10. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)