|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tristram find his travel notes?
(a) In the donkey's feed sack.
(b) Crumpled up under a lady's hat.
(c) Wadded up in the street.
(d) In his back pocket.
2. Why does Walter want Tristram to wear breeches?
(a) To appear modest.
(b) To appear more manly.
(c) To hide his deformity.
(d) To imitate his father.
3. Who is Billy Le Fever?
(a) Lieutenant Le Fever's son.
(b) Toby's cousin.
(c) Trim's cousin.
(d) Toby's nephew.
4. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) On the roof.
(c) On the bowling green.
(d) In the parlor.
5. In Chapter 1 of Volume 5, what subject does Tristram discuss?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
2. What are the "beds of justice"?
3. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
4. Why does Toby Shandy stop setting up battle scenes?
5. What does Billy inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
2. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. What are the "beds of justice"?
5. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
6. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
7. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
8. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
9. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
10. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)