|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1 of Volume 5, what subject does Tristram discuss?
2. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
(a) On the bowling green.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) On the roof.
3. What does Susannah burn in Volume 6?
(a) A wig.
(b) A shift.
(c) A bedsheet.
(d) Her hand.
4. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
5. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
(a) His coat.
(b) His carriage.
(c) His sword.
(d) His breeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
2. Why are the lead weights removed from the window that falls on Tristram?
3. Who keeps interrupting the story of the King of Bohemia?
4. Who plans on spying on Toby through a keyhole?
5. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
2. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
3. What are the "beds of justice"?
4. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
5. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
6. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
7. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
8. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
9. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
10. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)