|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tristram consult for advice in Volume 7?
(a) The reader.
(d) Uncle Toby.
2. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
(a) She wants to learn about the world of men.
(b) She thought she heard the word "wife".
(c) She is interested in his reaction.
(d) She suspects he is being unfaithful.
3. What reaction does Susannah have to Bobby's death?
(a) She continues reading her book.
(b) She goes back to sleep.
(c) She runs into the kitchen weeping.
(d) She comments philosophically.
4. Why does Tristram relieve himself out the window in Volume 5?
(a) It is raining too hard to go outside.
(b) The toilet is not working.
(c) He is too busy playing to go down to the outhouse.
(d) The chamber pot is missing from under the bed.
5. Why are the lead weights removed from the window that falls on Tristram?
(a) Lead is toxic to children.
(b) To prevent Tristram from cutting his fingers.
(c) To make a fork.
(d) To make part of Toby's fortification.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
2. Why does Toby spend a few nights at the Widow Wadham's house?
3. What does Walter Shandy decide to write in Volume 5?
4. Who attempts to tell the story of the King of Bohemia?
5. In Volume 5, who finds Tristram after he has been injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
2. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
3. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
4. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
5. Why does Walter Shandy write Toby a letter in Volume 8?
6. How does Toby discover his love for Widow Wadham?
7. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
8. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
9. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
10. What are the "beds of justice"?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)