|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter Shandy like to drink?
2. How does Tristram travel through the southern region of France?
(a) On foot.
(b) By stagecoach.
(c) By mule.
(d) By train.
3. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
(a) By splitting the syllables of offensive words.
(b) By leading them with a rope.
(c) By beating them with rods.
(d) By reciting poetry.
4. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
(a) A dove.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A donkey.
5. Which famous Astronomical clock does Tristram describe in Volume 7?
(a) St. Mark's clock.
(b) Big Ben.
(c) Lippius's clock.
(d) The Jubilee clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Volume 8, which character makes a battle plan with Toby to approach the Widow Wadham?
2. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
3. Where does Lieutenant Le Fever die?
4. Who feels guilty about removing the lead from the window?
5. Which animal does Tristram describe in Chapter 1 of Volume 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
2. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
3. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
4. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
5. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
6. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
7. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
8. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
9. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
10. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)