|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
(a) Silver and china.
(b) Mrs. Shandy's dresses.
(c) Bobby Shandy's estate.
(d) A large sum of money.
2. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
(a) By train.
(b) By stagecoach.
(c) By mule.
(d) By boat.
3. What is Johnathan's profession?
(a) The undertaker.
(b) The coachman.
(c) The cook.
(d) The butler.
4. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
(a) Mrs. Shandy.
(c) Widow Wadham.
5. Who is Tom?
(a) Toby's nephew.
(b) Toby's brother.
(c) Trim's nephew.
(d) Trim's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
2. Why are the lead weights removed from the window that falls on Tristram?
3. In Volume 5, what does Walter Shandy do while his son's wound is being tended?
4. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
5. What does Trim inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
2. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
3. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
4. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
5. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
6. Why does Tristram decide to travel abroad in Volume 7?
7. How does Toby react to the end of the war?
8. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
9. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
10. What are the "beds of justice"?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)