|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Johnathan's profession?
(a) The butler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The coachman.
(d) The undertaker.
2. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
(c) Mrs. Shandy.
(d) Widow Wadham.
3. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
(a) His sword.
(b) His breeches.
(c) His coat.
(d) His carriage.
4. Where does Tristram find his travel notes?
(a) In his back pocket.
(b) Wadded up in the street.
(c) In the donkey's feed sack.
(d) Crumpled up under a lady's hat.
5. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
(b) Shot put.
(c) The Widow Wadham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
2. Who is Billy Le Fever?
3. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
4. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
5. Who does Walter want to have tutor Tristram?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
2. Why does Trim take responsibility for Tristram's injury in Volume 5?
3. How does Toby plan to approach Widow Wadham about his affections?
4. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
5. What are the "beds of justice"?
6. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
7. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
8. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
9. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
10. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)