|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
(a) Trim and Obidiah.
(b) Walter and Mrs. Shandy.
(c) Julia and Trim.
(d) Walter, Toby and Trim.
2. In Chapter 1 of Volume 5, what subject does Tristram discuss?
3. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) Eleven months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) One year.
4. What do Dr. Slop and Susannah throw at each other in Volume 6?
(d) The poultice.
5. In Volume 5, who finds Tristram after he has been injured?
(c) Mrs. Shandy.
(d) Dr. Slop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
2. What does Walter Shandy decide to write in Volume 5?
3. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
4. In Volume 8, which character makes a battle plan with Toby to approach the Widow Wadham?
5. Who does Tristram consult for advice in Volume 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
2. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
3. What could Bobby's death symbolize to Tristram?
4. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
5. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
6. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
7. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
8. What might Tristram mean when he describes romance as, "It is with love as with cuck-oldom"?
9. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
10. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)