|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
(a) Trim's cousin.
(b) Toby's commanding officer.
(c) Toby's cousin.
(d) A soldier Toby tries to help.
2. Where does Lieutenant Le Fever die?
(a) In the village inn.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) On the bowling green.
(d) On the battlefield.
3. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
4. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
(a) Mrs. Shandy's dresses.
(b) Bobby Shandy's estate.
(c) Silver and china.
(d) A large sum of money.
5. Who needs to have an eye examined in Volume 8?
(b) Widow Wadham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
2. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
3. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
4. In Volume 5, who finds Tristram after he has been injured?
5. How does Tristram escape death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
2. How is Tristram injured at the age of five?
3. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
4. What inconsistencies exist in Tristram's friendship with Eugenuis?
5. Why do Toby and Trim temporarily move in with Widow Wadham?
6. What position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever assume in the Shandy household?
7. How does the Shandy household react to the news of Bobby's death?
8. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
9. What difficulty does Tristram encounter in Lyon?
10. What dispute arises over Tristram's injury in Volume 6?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)