|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous poet does Tristram quote in Volume 1?
2. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
(a) On a sharp edge of the tea cup.
(b) While trying to operate on Mrs. Shandy.
(c) Trying to hold onto the reins.
(d) While trying to open his bag.
3. Who has the power to change Tristram's name?
4. What is Yorick's first name?
5. What falls after Walter realizes Tristram has been named incorrectly?
(a) A glass vase.
(b) The clock.
(c) His breeches.
(d) The bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shandy question while she and her husband are conceiving Tristram?
2. On which night does Walter Shandy always wind the clock?
3. Who is the Homunculus?
4. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
5. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
2. Why does Obidiah ride to Dr. Slop's residence twice?
3. How does Walter Shandy attempt to change Tristram's name?
4. Describe Walter Shandy.
5. Describe Toby Shandy.
6. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's medical abilities?
7. How is Phutatoruis injured in Volume 4?
8. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
9. Describe Yorick.
10. Why does Walter Shandy decide to name his son Trismegistus?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)