|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dolly?
(a) Toby Shandy's wife.
(b) The chambermaid.
(c) Mr. Yorick's horse.
(d) The midwife.
2. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
(a) He is a Protestant.
(b) He is a scientist.
(c) He is a Catholic.
(d) He is an Atheist.
3. Who is Bobby?
(a) Tristram's imaginary friend.
(b) Tristram's eldest brother.
(c) Tristram's uncle.
(d) Tristram's youngest brother.
4. Who is sent to fetch the midwife?
5. Where does the preface appear in Volume 3?
(a) In the middle of the book.
(b) At the end of the book.
(c) Tristram promises to include it in the next volume.
(d) In the beginning of the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous poet does Tristram quote in Volume 1?
2. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
3. What do Walter and Toby do after Dr. Slop leaves the parlor?
4. What is Trim's true name?
5. What does Mrs. Shandy question while she and her husband are conceiving Tristram?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yorick.
2. Why does Sterne follow Toby's entrance into the widow's house with two blank chapters?
3. What declaration does Tristram make about his narration in Volume 1?
4. How does Toby misinterpret Widow Wadham's flirtations?
5. How does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
6. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
7. Describe the farcical nature of the story of the abbess and the novice.
8. Why does Trim deliver a sermon in Volume 2?
9. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
10. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)