|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's abilities?
(a) He believes the doctor has been drinking.
(b) He thinks the doctor is too short to operate.
(c) He is concerned that the forceps will damage the baby.
(d) He questions the validity of his medical license.
2. What do Walter and Toby do after Dr. Slop leaves the parlor?
(a) Read books.
(b) Fall asleep.
(c) Drink brandy.
(d) Play cards.
3. What does Phutatoruis exclaim when he is injured?
4. Why does Toby Shandy come to live with Walter and his family?
(a) His parents abandoned him.
(b) He is too old to live alone.
(c) To recover from a war wound.
(d) He lost all his money in a bet.
5. What is dropped into Phutatoruis' lap in Volume 4?
(a) A hot chestnut.
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) The forceps.
(d) A full inkwell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tune does Toby whistle in Volume 3?
2. What does Mrs. Shandy question while she and her husband are conceiving Tristram?
3. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
4. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
5. What opinion does Tristram have about time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
2. What is Slawkenburguis' story?
3. To what does Uncle Toby attribute to Tristram's problems before entering the world?
4. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the midwife's request to attend the birthing?
5. How does Toby's hobby assist in his recovery?
6. Describe Walter Shandy.
7. What differing opinions do Walter Shandy and his wife have about childbirth?
8. What unusual literary element is placed in the middle of Volume 3?
9. Describe Tristram Shandy.
10. Whom does Dr. Slop blame for his injury?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)