|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's abilities?
(a) He thinks the doctor is too short to operate.
(b) He questions the validity of his medical license.
(c) He believes the doctor has been drinking.
(d) He is concerned that the forceps will damage the baby.
2. When considering names for his newborn son, which name does Walter like the least?
3. What medical procedure does Walter Shandy suggest for his wife?
(a) A cesarean section.
(b) An episiotomy.
(c) A lobotomy.
(d) A hysterectomy.
4. What type of book does Toby plan to write?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A war manual.
(d) A history book.
5. What comfort does Dr. Slop offer Walter Shandy in Volume 2?
(a) He is young enough to find another wife.
(b) Children do grow up and move away.
(c) Medicine has made great advances.
(d) All births are difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
2. What phrase is inscribed on Mr. Yorick's gravestone?
3. Where on his body is Toby Shandy wounded?
4. Who is Hammond Shandy?
5. What animal does Toby gently catch and release when Tristram is ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony exists in Walter Shandy's attempt to write a child-rearing book?
2. How is Tristram's face deformed?
3. What misunderstanding does Toby have about bridges in Volume 3?
4. Describe Yorick.
5. What are the "beds of justice"?
6. Why does Tristram's mother eavesdrop on Walter and Toby's conversation in Volume 5?
7. How does Walter Shandy react to Tristram's deformity?
8. How does communication among the characters disintegrate in Volume 8?
9. Why does Tristram's mother give birth in the country?
10. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)