|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
(a) On the bowling green.
(b) On the roof.
(c) In the parlor.
(d) In the kitchen.
2. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
(a) He knows nothing about war.
(b) He neglects Tristram while writing.
(c) He only repeats what others have already said.
(d) His life is bland and uninteresting.
3. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
(a) A pigeon.
(b) A dove.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A donkey.
4. Where does Lieutenant Le Fever die?
(a) In the village inn.
(b) On the bowling green.
(c) On the battlefield.
(d) In the kitchen.
5. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
(a) Dr. Slop.
(c) The midwife.
(d) Mrs. Shandy.
6. What is Johnathan's profession?
(a) The coachman.
(b) The butler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The undertaker.
7. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
(a) By leading them with a rope.
(b) By splitting the syllables of offensive words.
(c) By beating them with rods.
(d) By reciting poetry.
8. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
(a) Edward VIII and Mrs. Wallis Warfield Simpson.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Cleopatra and Mark Antony.
(d) Amandus and Amanda.
9. Why does Toby spend a few nights at the Widow Wadham's house?
(a) His house floods.
(b) She hosts a large party.
(c) The construction of his house is incomplete.
(d) She needs manly work done in the house.
10. Why doesn't Mrs. Shandy accompany Tristram to France?
(a) She is busy knitting breeches.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She fears mules.
(d) She does not like the smell.
11. Who is Billy Le Fever?
(a) Trim's cousin.
(b) Toby's nephew.
(c) Lieutenant Le Fever's son.
(d) Toby's cousin.
12. Which animal does Tristram describe in Chapter 1 of Volume 6?
13. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
(a) Lieutenant Le Fever goes to war.
(b) Billy's mother dies.
(c) Lieutenant Le Fever dies.
(d) Billy's mother and father leave him on the doorstep.
14. How does Tristram describe love in his alphabetical listing?
15. In Chapter 2 of Volume 8, to what does Tristram equate with love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
2. How does Tristram escape death?
3. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
4. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
5. What are the "beds of justice"?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)