|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
2. From where does Lieutenant Le Fever come?
3. Which commandment does Yorick ask Trim to repeat?
(a) The third.
(b) The fifth.
(c) The first.
(d) The tenth.
4. What does Trim inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
(b) A coat.
(c) A sword.
(d) A shift.
5. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
(a) By splitting the syllables of offensive words.
(b) By leading them with a rope.
(c) By reciting poetry.
(d) By beating them with rods.
6. What reaction does Susannah have to Bobby's death?
(a) She goes back to sleep.
(b) She comments philosophically.
(c) She runs into the kitchen weeping.
(d) She continues reading her book.
7. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
(a) By stagecoach.
(b) By train.
(c) By mule.
(d) By boat.
8. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Amandus and Amanda.
(c) Edward VIII and Mrs. Wallis Warfield Simpson.
(d) Cleopatra and Mark Antony.
9. Who is Tom?
(a) Toby's nephew.
(b) Toby's brother.
(c) Trim's nephew.
(d) Trim's brother.
10. Who does Walter want to have tutor Tristram?
(d) Billy Le Fever.
11. Who explains to Toby that he is in love?
(b) Mrs. Shandy.
12. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A donkey.
(c) A dove.
(d) A pigeon.
13. In Volume 8, why does Walter write Toby a letter?
(a) To express his anger.
(b) To apologize for his behavior.
(c) To encourage him to make a will.
(d) To explain how to deal with women.
14. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) One year.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Eleven months.
15. What are the "beds of justice"?
(a) The couches in the parlor.
(b) Walter's law books.
(c) Walter's bed.
(d) The flowerbeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Shandy decide to write in Volume 5?
2. Who attempts to tell the story of the King of Bohemia?
3. Which animal does Tristram describe in Chapter 1 of Volume 6?
4. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
5. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)