|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Volume 5, why does Mrs. Shandy eavesdrop on her husband?
(a) She is interested in his reaction.
(b) She thought she heard the word "wife".
(c) She wants to learn about the world of men.
(d) She suspects he is being unfaithful.
2. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
(a) Mrs. Shandy.
(c) Dr. Slop.
(d) The midwife.
3. Which famous Astronomical clock does Tristram describe in Volume 7?
(a) The Jubilee clock.
(b) Lippius's clock.
(c) St. Mark's clock.
(d) Big Ben.
4. What does Tristram write about Calais?
(a) His time with Julia.
(b) The streets are nasty and foul-smelling.
(c) A history of the town.
(d) The cuisine.
5. Who has accompanied Tristram to France in the past?
(a) Walter and Mrs. Shandy.
(b) Trim and Obidiah.
(c) Julia and Trim.
(d) Walter, Toby and Trim.
6. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
(a) On the roof.
(b) On the bowling green.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the parlor.
7. For what item is Tristram forced to pay in Lyon?
(a) A notebook.
(b) Another carriage.
(c) A new shoe.
(d) A suitcase.
8. How does Tristram describe love in his alphabetical listing?
9. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
(a) By boat.
(b) By mule.
(c) By stagecoach.
(d) By train.
10. What are the "beds of justice"?
(a) Walter's law books.
(b) The flowerbeds.
(c) Walter's bed.
(d) The couches in the parlor.
11. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A pigeon.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A dove.
12. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
(a) Mrs. Shandy's dresses.
(b) A large sum of money.
(c) Bobby Shandy's estate.
(d) Silver and china.
13. How does Tristram escape death?
(a) By finding a wife.
(b) By going to war.
(c) By traveling abroad.
(d) By writing a book.
14. What reaction does Walter Shandy have to Bobby's death?
(a) He goes back to sleep.
(b) He weeps uncontrollably.
(c) He comments philosophically.
(d) He continues reading his book.
15. What reaction does Susannah have to Bobby's death?
(a) She comments philosophically.
(b) She goes back to sleep.
(c) She continues reading her book.
(d) She runs into the kitchen weeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Trim fall in love?
2. Why does Toby become Billy Le Fever's guardian?
3. Who does Bridget plan to seduce?
4. In Volume 5, what does Walter Shandy do while his son's wound is being tended?
5. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)