|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Dr. Slop and Susannah throw at each other in Volume 6?
(d) The poultice.
2. Why does Toby Shandy stop setting up battle scenes?
(a) He is preparing for Billy's arrival.
(b) To spend more time with Tristram.
(c) The war ends.
(d) He is bored with war.
3. In Volume 5, what does Walter Shandy do while his son's wound is being tended?
(a) Rants and raves.
(b) Reads from his book.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Paces the floor.
4. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
(a) His conversational abilities.
(b) The extent of his groin wound.
(c) His finances.
(d) His intelligence.
5. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
(a) He neglects Tristram while writing.
(b) His life is bland and uninteresting.
(c) He knows nothing about war.
(d) He only repeats what others have already said.
6. Who feels guilty about removing the lead from the window?
7. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
(a) His coat.
(b) His carriage.
(c) His sword.
(d) His breeches.
8. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
(a) He will never find a wife.
(b) He longs to find a purpose.
(c) He may not be able to finish his book.
(d) He is frustrated with his appearance.
9. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
10. Where does Toby Shandy set up his battle scenes?
(a) On the bowling green.
(b) On the roof.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the parlor.
11. Who explains to Toby that he is in love?
(d) Mrs. Shandy.
12. How does Tristram escape death?
(a) By traveling abroad.
(b) By writing a book.
(c) By finding a wife.
(d) By going to war.
13. Why doesn't Mrs. Shandy accompany Tristram to France?
(a) She fears mules.
(b) She does not like the smell.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is busy knitting breeches.
14. What does the Widow Wadham kick out of her way in Volume 8?
(a) A corking pin.
(b) A chamberpot.
(c) A dog.
(d) A coal scuttle.
15. Why are the lead weights removed from the window that falls on Tristram?
(a) To make part of Toby's fortification.
(b) To make a fork.
(c) To prevent Tristram from cutting his fingers.
(d) Lead is toxic to children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the commissary accidentally damage in Volume 7?
2. Who is present when Tristram is injured in Volume 5?
3. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
4. What unusual friend does Tristram make in Lyon?
5. What does Billy inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)