|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lieutenant Le Fever?
(a) A soldier Toby tries to help.
(b) Trim's cousin.
(c) Toby's cousin.
(d) Toby's commanding officer.
2. Which commandment does Yorick ask Trim to repeat?
(a) The third.
(b) The first.
(c) The tenth.
(d) The fifth.
3. What does Susannah hope to inherit in Volume 5?
(a) Silver and china.
(b) Bobby Shandy's estate.
(c) A large sum of money.
(d) Mrs. Shandy's dresses.
4. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
(a) He only repeats what others have already said.
(b) His life is bland and uninteresting.
(c) He knows nothing about war.
(d) He neglects Tristram while writing.
5. Why does Walter want Tristram to wear breeches?
(a) To hide his deformity.
(b) To appear modest.
(c) To appear more manly.
(d) To imitate his father.
6. Why doesn't Mrs. Shandy accompany Tristram to France?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She fears mules.
(c) She does not like the smell.
(d) She is busy knitting breeches.
7. Who explains to Toby that he is in love?
(a) Mrs. Shandy.
8. What does Walter Shandy decide to write in Volume 5?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) An educational book.
(c) A history book.
(d) A philosophy volume.
9. What is in Dover?
(b) A port.
(c) Cliffs to scale.
(d) A battle.
10. What is Johnathan's profession?
(a) The coachman.
(b) The butler.
(c) The cook.
(d) The undertaker.
11. Why does Toby spend a few nights at the Widow Wadham's house?
(a) His house floods.
(b) The construction of his house is incomplete.
(c) She hosts a large party.
(d) She needs manly work done in the house.
12. Which animal does Tristram describe in Chapter 1 of Volume 6?
13. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
(a) One year.
(b) Eleven years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Eleven months.
14. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
(a) By train.
(b) By stagecoach.
(c) By boat.
(d) By mule.
15. In Volume 5, what does Walter Shandy do while his son's wound is being tended?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Reads from his book.
(c) Paces the floor.
(d) Rants and raves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
2. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
3. Why does Tristram relieve himself out the window in Volume 5?
4. What does Tristram write about Calais?
5. What does Walter Shandy like to drink?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)