|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the lead weights removed from the window that falls on Tristram?
(a) To make a fork.
(b) Lead is toxic to children.
(c) To make part of Toby's fortification.
(d) To prevent Tristram from cutting his fingers.
2. Who is present when Tristram is injured in Volume 5?
3. On what day does Trim fall in love?
4. How old is Tristram when he is injured by a falling window sash?
5. Which city does Tristram describe as nasty and foul-smelling?
6. What are the "beds of justice"?
(a) Walter's law books.
(b) Walter's bed.
(c) The couches in the parlor.
(d) The flowerbeds.
7. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
(a) By leading them with a rope.
(b) By splitting the syllables of offensive words.
(c) By reciting poetry.
(d) By beating them with rods.
8. What concern does Tristram voice in Chapter 1 of Volume 7?
(a) He may not be able to finish his book.
(b) He will never find a wife.
(c) He longs to find a purpose.
(d) He is frustrated with his appearance.
9. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
(a) He only repeats what others have already said.
(b) His life is bland and uninteresting.
(c) He neglects Tristram while writing.
(d) He knows nothing about war.
10. What reaction does Trim have to Bobby's death?
(a) He weeps uncontrollably.
(b) He continues reading his book.
(c) He delivers a poetical speech.
(d) He goes back to sleep.
11. What does Billy inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
(b) A shift.
(c) A sword.
(d) A coat.
12. For what position does Toby recommend Billy Le Fever?
13. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) Eleven months.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) One year.
14. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
(a) Amandus and Amanda.
(b) Cleopatra and Mark Antony.
(c) Edward VIII and Mrs. Wallis Warfield Simpson.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
15. Who falls in love with Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
(a) Mrs. Shandy.
(d) Widow Wadham.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tristram travel to Paris?
2. What is in Dover?
3. Where does Tristram find his travel notes?
4. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
5. How does Tristram escape death?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)