|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony evident in Walter Shandy's book?
(a) He knows nothing about war.
(b) His life is bland and uninteresting.
(c) He only repeats what others have already said.
(d) He neglects Tristram while writing.
2. Who attempts to tell the story of the King of Bohemia?
3. How long does Toby know the Widow Wadham before he falls in love with her?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Eleven years.
(c) One year.
(d) Eleven months.
4. Who is buried in the tomb of the two lovers?
(a) Cleopatra and Mark Antony.
(b) Romeo and Juliet.
(c) Edward VIII and Mrs. Wallis Warfield Simpson.
(d) Amandus and Amanda.
5. In Chapter 1 of Volume 5, what subject does Tristram discuss?
6. What new hobby does Toby Shandy pursue in Volume 6?
(a) Shot put.
(c) The Widow Wadham.
7. How do the abbess and the novice make their mules move?
(a) By beating them with rods.
(b) By splitting the syllables of offensive words.
(c) By reciting poetry.
(d) By leading them with a rope.
8. Why does Tristram relieve himself out the window in Volume 5?
(a) It is raining too hard to go outside.
(b) He is too busy playing to go down to the outhouse.
(c) The toilet is not working.
(d) The chamber pot is missing from under the bed.
9. What concern does Widow Wadham express about Toby Shandy in Volume 8?
(a) His conversational abilities.
(b) His intelligence.
(c) The extent of his groin wound.
(d) His finances.
10. What are the "beds of justice"?
(a) Walter's bed.
(b) The flowerbeds.
(c) Walter's law books.
(d) The couches in the parlor.
11. What does Walter Shandy like to drink?
12. What is Tristram forced to sell in Lyon?
(a) His sword.
(b) His breeches.
(c) His coat.
(d) His carriage.
13. Where does Tristram find his travel notes?
(a) Wadded up in the street.
(b) In his back pocket.
(c) In the donkey's feed sack.
(d) Crumpled up under a lady's hat.
14. Who is called to tend Tristram's wound in Volume 5?
(b) Dr. Slop.
(c) The midwife.
(d) Mrs. Shandy.
15. What reaction does Susannah have to Bobby's death?
(a) She goes back to sleep.
(b) She continues reading her book.
(c) She comments philosophically.
(d) She runs into the kitchen weeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tristram write about Calais?
2. Why does Walter want Tristram to wear breeches?
3. What does Trim inherit from Lieutenant Le Fever?
4. Who is present when Tristram is injured in Volume 5?
5. How does Tristram travel through the southern region of France?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)