|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
(a) By giving him a strong name.
(b) By removing all the mirrors from the house.
(c) By forcing him to grow tall.
(d) By teaching him Latin.
2. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
(a) Dr. Slop's forceps tear his skin.
(b) He faints at the sight of the scalpel.
(c) He trips over the rug and falls.
(d) He pinches his thumb in the clamp.
3. In Volume 3, what confusion does Toby have about Dr. Slop's creation?
(a) He thinks the sandwich is for him.
(b) He wonders why a doctor would use a spoon for a knife.
(c) He thinks the doctor is creating a drawbridge for him.
(d) He asks if the doctor is French.
4. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
(a) His cloak.
(d) His horses.
5. Who is Dolly?
(a) The chambermaid.
(b) The midwife.
(c) Toby Shandy's wife.
(d) Mr. Yorick's horse.
6. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
7. What is Diduis' profession?
(a) A lawyer.
(c) The bishop.
(d) A writer.
8. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) John Locke.
9. To what does Walter Shandy attribute his family problems?
(b) Bad karma.
(c) Bad food.
(d) Their small noses.
10. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
(b) Hammond Shandy.
(c) Aunt Dinah.
(d) Mr. Yorick.
11. When considering names for his newborn son, which name does Walter like the least?
12. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
(a) He is a scientist.
(b) He is an Atheist.
(c) He is a Catholic.
(d) He is a Protestant.
13. What do Walter and Toby do after Dr. Slop leaves the parlor?
(a) Drink brandy.
(b) Fall asleep.
(c) Read books.
(d) Play cards.
14. What type of handkerchief does Walter Shandy use in Volume 3?
(a) Irish linen.
15. What does Toby Shandy have difficulty remembering after the war?
(a) His full name.
(b) Exactly how he was injured.
(c) How to eat and drink.
(d) How to tie his cravat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the request to come to the birthing room?
2. What comfort does Dr. Slop offer Walter Shandy in Volume 2?
3. In what battle is Toby Shandy wounded?
4. Who asks Dr. Slop to come to the birthing room?
5. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop's medicine bag?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)