|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) John Locke.
2. When was Tristram conceived?
3. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
(a) Dr. Slop's forceps tear his skin.
(b) He pinches his thumb in the clamp.
(c) He faints at the sight of the scalpel.
(d) He trips over the rug and falls.
4. Where does Mrs. Shandy wish to deliver her child?
(d) The Shandy estate.
5. How many miles away does Dr. Slop live?
6. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
7. When considering names for his newborn son, which name does Walter like the least?
8. Who is the Homunculus?
(a) Mrs. Shandy.
(b) Mr. Yorick.
(c) Walter Shandy.
(d) Tristram Shandy.
9. What falls after Walter realizes Tristram has been named incorrectly?
(a) The bed.
(b) A glass vase.
(c) The clock.
(d) His breeches.
10. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
11. Who is Dolly?
(a) The chambermaid.
(b) Toby Shandy's wife.
(c) The midwife.
(d) Mr. Yorick's horse.
12. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
(a) By giving him a strong name.
(b) By teaching him Latin.
(c) By removing all the mirrors from the house.
(d) By forcing him to grow tall.
13. What concern does Walter Shandy express about his son's birth in Volume 2?
(a) A long delivery could cause a deformity.
(b) Mrs. Shandy's pelvis could crush his head.
(c) Mrs. Shandy is too old to deliver a child.
(d) A breech birth is indicative of a stubborn child.
14. When the midwife falls, what does Dr. Slop offer to examine?
(a) Her shin.
(b) Her nose.
(c) Her hip.
(d) Her hand.
15. Where on his body is Toby Shandy wounded?
(a) His knee.
(b) His back.
(c) His groin.
(d) His head.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Volume 3, what confusion does Toby have about Dr. Slop's creation?
2. What animal does Toby gently catch and release when Tristram is ten?
3. What is Yorick's first name?
4. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
5. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop's medicine bag?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)