|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What medical procedure does Walter Shandy suggest for his wife?
(a) An episiotomy.
(b) A hysterectomy.
(c) A cesarean section.
(d) A lobotomy.
2. What falls after Walter realizes Tristram has been named incorrectly?
(a) His breeches.
(b) A glass vase.
(c) The bed.
(d) The clock.
3. Whom does Phutatoruis blame for his injury?
4. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) John Locke.
5. Who is present at Mr. Yorick's death?
(c) Dr. Slop.
6. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
7. How does Dr. Slop cut his thumb?
(a) While trying to operate on Mrs. Shandy.
(b) While trying to open his bag.
(c) On a sharp edge of the tea cup.
(d) Trying to hold onto the reins.
8. What opinion does Tristram have about time?
(a) It is meaningless.
(b) Everyone's concept of time is different.
(c) It moves too slowly.
(d) It moves too quickly.
9. Who delivers a fine sermon while the other characters wait for Tristram's birth?
(d) Mr. Yorick.
10. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's abilities?
(a) He thinks the doctor is too short to operate.
(b) He believes the doctor has been drinking.
(c) He is concerned that the forceps will damage the baby.
(d) He questions the validity of his medical license.
11. Who is Hammond Shandy?
(a) Tristram's great-grandfather.
(b) Tristram's great-uncle.
(c) Toby's father.
(d) Tristram's grandfather.
12. Where does the preface appear in Volume 3?
(a) Tristram promises to include it in the next volume.
(b) In the beginning of the book.
(c) In the middle of the book.
(d) At the end of the book.
13. On which night does Walter Shandy always wind the clock?
14. What is Yorick's first name?
15. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
(a) Along the roadside.
(b) The village inn.
(d) The Shandy estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator?
2. Who is sent to fetch the midwife?
3. Who is Dolly?
4. What does Walter Shandy want to name his newborn son?
5. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)