|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Walter Shandy hand Dr. Slop after he cuts his thumb?
(a) A medical text.
(b) The Bible.
(c) A collection of poetry by Ovid.
(d) A book of excommunication.
2. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop's medicine bag?
3. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
(a) At the age of five.
(b) Sixty seconds after he is conceived.
(c) At birth.
(d) Nine months before he enters the world.
4. What medical procedure does Walter Shandy suggest for his wife?
(a) An episiotomy.
(b) A cesarean section.
(c) A lobotomy.
(d) A hysterectomy.
5. What is Phutatoruis' profession?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A writer.
(c) The bishop.
6. What does Mrs. Shandy question while she and her husband are conceiving Tristram?
(a) If the table is set.
(b) If the alarm is set.
(c) If Walter has been faithful.
(d) If the clock is wound.
7. How long does Toby take to recover from his injury?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six days.
8. What does Toby buy to help plan out his old battles?
(a) A map.
(b) A compass.
(c) A riding crop.
(d) A scope.
9. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) John Locke.
10. What medical instrument does Dr. Slop show Toby?
11. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
12. What animal does Toby gently catch and release when Tristram is ten?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A fly.
(c) A flea.
(d) A gnat.
13. What concern does Walter Shandy express about his son's birth in Volume 2?
(a) Mrs. Shandy's pelvis could crush his head.
(b) A long delivery could cause a deformity.
(c) A breech birth is indicative of a stubborn child.
(d) Mrs. Shandy is too old to deliver a child.
14. What part of baby Tristram's body is damaged during delivery?
(a) His head.
(b) His ears.
(c) His nose.
(d) His left foot.
15. How is Toby wounded in Volume 3?
(a) Dr. Slop's forceps tear his skin.
(b) He faints at the sight of the scalpel.
(c) He trips over the rug and falls.
(d) He pinches his thumb in the clamp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the preface appear in Volume 3?
2. Why does Toby Shandy come to live with Walter and his family?
3. What phrase is inscribed on Mr. Yorick's gravestone?
4. Who is Trim?
5. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)