|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Volume 3, what confusion does Toby have about Dr. Slop's creation?
(a) He thinks the sandwich is for him.
(b) He asks if the doctor is French.
(c) He thinks the doctor is creating a drawbridge for him.
(d) He wonders why a doctor would use a spoon for a knife.
2. Who is Bobby?
(a) Tristram's eldest brother.
(b) Tristram's uncle.
(c) Tristram's imaginary friend.
(d) Tristram's youngest brother.
3. How many children does Obidiah have?
4. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
(a) By teaching him Latin.
(b) By removing all the mirrors from the house.
(c) By giving him a strong name.
(d) By forcing him to grow tall.
5. Who is named as Tristram's godfather?
6. Why is Dr. Slop angry at Obidiah in Volume 3?
(a) He arrives after the baby is born.
(b) Obidiah ruins his jacket.
(c) Obidiah ties tight knots in his bag.
(d) Obidiah spills tea on his lap.
7. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
(a) Nine months before he enters the world.
(b) At the age of five.
(c) Sixty seconds after he is conceived.
(d) At birth.
8. What does Toby buy to help plan out his old battles?
(a) A compass.
(b) A scope.
(c) A map.
(d) A riding crop.
9. Who delivers a fine sermon while the other characters wait for Tristram's birth?
(d) Mr. Yorick.
10. Who is sent to fetch the midwife?
11. Who is Mr. Yorick?
(a) The village parson.
(b) The midwife's husband.
(c) Walter's servant.
(d) The village doctor.
12. What is in Flanders?
(a) The most effective physicians.
(b) The finest lacemakers.
(c) Toby and the British army.
(d) Bobby's university.
13. What book does Walter Shandy hand Dr. Slop after he cuts his thumb?
(a) The Bible.
(b) A medical text.
(c) A collection of poetry by Ovid.
(d) A book of excommunication.
14. Who dies and leaves Walter a substantial inheritance in Volume 4?
(a) Mr. Yorick.
(b) Hammond Shandy.
(c) Aunt Dinah.
15. What is dropped into Phutatoruis' lap in Volume 4?
(a) The forceps.
(b) A full inkwell.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A hot chestnut.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the midwife falls, what does Dr. Slop offer to examine?
2. Who is Toby Shandy?
3. Who does Mrs. Shandy wish to have deliver her child?
4. Where is Mrs. Shandy forced to deliver her child?
5. In Volume 3, what does Dr. Slop create in the kitchen?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)