|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Walter Shandy determine to compensate for Tristram's deformity?
(a) By forcing him to grow tall.
(b) By removing all the mirrors from the house.
(c) By teaching him Latin.
(d) By giving him a strong name.
2. Why is Dr. Slop offended by the sermon delivered in Volume 2?
(a) He is a scientist.
(b) He is a Catholic.
(c) He is a Protestant.
(d) He is an Atheist.
3. According to Uncle Toby, when do Tristram's problems begin?
(a) At birth.
(b) Sixty seconds after he is conceived.
(c) Nine months before he enters the world.
(d) At the age of five.
4. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
(c) His horses.
(d) His cloak.
5. How many children does Obidiah have?
6. In Volume 3, what confusion does Toby have about Dr. Slop's creation?
(a) He asks if the doctor is French.
(b) He thinks the doctor is creating a drawbridge for him.
(c) He wonders why a doctor would use a spoon for a knife.
(d) He thinks the sandwich is for him.
7. What phrase is inscribed on Mr. Yorick's gravestone?
(a) Alas, poor Yorick.
(b) He loved the nag.
(c) He rode well.
(d) Resquiet Im Pace.
8. Who is named as Tristram's godfather?
9. Who does Tristram compare to the main character in Don Quixote?
(a) Walter Shandy.
(b) Dr. Slop.
(c) Mr. Yorick.
(d) Toby Shandy.
10. What comfort does Dr. Slop offer Walter Shandy in Volume 2?
(a) He is young enough to find another wife.
(b) All births are difficult.
(c) Children do grow up and move away.
(d) Medicine has made great advances.
11. What animal does Toby gently catch and release when Tristram is ten?
(a) A flea.
(b) A gnat.
(c) A fly.
(d) A mouse.
12. What type of book does Toby plan to write?
(a) A history book.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A war manual.
13. Who is Bobby?
(a) Tristram's imaginary friend.
(b) Tristram's eldest brother.
(c) Tristram's youngest brother.
(d) Tristram's uncle.
14. What is Diduis' profession?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The bishop.
(d) A writer.
15. What does Toby buy to help plan out his old battles?
(a) A map.
(b) A scope.
(c) A riding crop.
(d) A compass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders hot chestnuts from the kitchen in Volume 4?
2. When the midwife falls, what does Dr. Slop offer to examine?
3. Of what descent is Mr. Yorick's family?
4. When was Tristram conceived?
5. Why is Tristram's christening rushed?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)