|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yorick christen Tristram with the wrong name?
(a) Yorick is deaf and cannot hear clearly.
(b) Susannah mispronounces the name.
(c) Mrs. Shandy interrupts the christening.
(d) He doesn't like the name Walter has chosen.
2. Who does Tristram compare to the main character in Don Quixote?
(a) Toby Shandy.
(b) Mr. Yorick.
(c) Walter Shandy.
(d) Dr. Slop.
3. How tall is Dr. Slop?
(a) Six feet tall.
(b) Three feet, eleven inches tall.
(c) Five and three-quarters of a foot tall.
(d) Four and a half feet tall.
4. What does Mr. Yorick often loan the villagers?
(a) His cloak.
(c) His horses.
5. Who is Mr. Yorick?
(a) Walter's servant.
(b) The midwife's husband.
(c) The village doctor.
(d) The village parson.
6. What is Homenas?
(a) A town.
(b) A church.
(c) A law text.
(d) A song.
7. What is Diduis' profession?
(a) A lawyer.
(c) The bishop.
(d) A writer.
8. Who orders hot chestnuts from the kitchen in Volume 4?
9. Who is named as Tristram's godfather?
10. What concerns does Walter Shandy have about Dr. Slop's abilities?
(a) He thinks the doctor is too short to operate.
(b) He believes the doctor has been drinking.
(c) He questions the validity of his medical license.
(d) He is concerned that the forceps will damage the baby.
11. What does Phutatoruis exclaim when he is injured?
12. What explanation does Toby give for Mrs. Shandy's reluctance to employ Dr. Slop?
13. What is Trim's true name?
(a) James Butler.
(b) John Smith.
(c) Todd Moore.
(d) Tad Most.
14. Who is sent to fetch Dr. Slop?
15. Tristram interrupts his story about Toby with an anecdote about which author?
(a) John Locke.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is present at Mr. Yorick's death?
2. How does Dr. Slop injure baby Tristram during delivery?
3. What is dropped into Phutatoruis' lap in Volume 4?
4. In Volume 3, what does Dr. Slop create in the kitchen?
5. Who is the narrator?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)