|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bush determine about Hornblower after their discussion?
2. Bush hadn't been to the Kingston station in _____ years.
3. How does Colonel Ortega try to scare the British from staying at the Spanish fort?
4. Upon their arrival at Kingston, Buckland has an interview with _______.
5. Who becomes the new Captain of the Renown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Surgeon Sankey characterized throughout Chapter 15?
2. Describe how the Marines conclude their beat once it's reached its end.
3. When Colonel Ortega and his ship approach the fort, they wave a white flag and sound the trumpets. What is the point of this?
4. Describe the Retribution, formerly known as La Gaditana.
5. What is the story that Hornblower tells to Admiral Parry at the whist table when Parry says he recognizes Hornblower's name?
6. The Dons' capitulation is a victory for the British in what ways?
7. Describe the Court of Inquiry.
8. Describe Bush's fighting style during the prisoners' rebellion on board the Renown.
9. Why is Maria so upset at the news that Hornblower has been given the command of a war sloop?
10. Why does Admiral Parry confirm Hornblower's promotion to Commander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail how Bush and his men take Fort Samana which leads to the surrender of the Spanish Dons. What specifically contributes to this operation becoming a victory for the Renown? How are the officers rewarded for this victory?
Essay Topic 2
How do gender roles come into play in your reading of "Lieutenant Hornblower"? How are women portrayed and talked about in the novel? Why is it important to note that all of the ships are referred to as being female? What role does Maria have towards the end of the novel? How is she described? Why is this important when thinking about gender roles?
Essay Topic 3
How is the story resolved at the end of Chapter 20? Are all the loose ends tied up? Are all of the questions answered? What effect does the introduction of the female character, Maria, have to the ending of the story? Based on the way the novel is ended, would you as the reader wish to continue reading the series or are you satisfied with the way it ends?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)