|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria put in Hornblower's coat pocket as she takes it from him to be sponged?
2. Finish the quote: "The Court of Inquiry was not nearly as awe-inspiring as a ________."
3. Admiral Lambert renames La Gaditana the ________.
4. How many prize ships follow the Renown out of Samana Bay?
5. What is the British currency prior to the use of "dirty notes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that Hornblower tells to Admiral Parry at the whist table when Parry says he recognizes Hornblower's name?
2. How is Colonel Ortega described physically?
3. How does the gun become "unbushed" towards the middle of Chapter 13?
4. What is the reward for Bush after the victory in Haiti?
5. What season is it during Bush's second visit with Hornblower in Pourtsmouth?
6. What becomes of Wellard, and how is this known?
7. What are Colonel Ortega's terms for a capitulation?
8. Describe Bush's fighting style during the prisoners' rebellion on board the Renown.
9. How is Surgeon Sankey characterized throughout Chapter 15?
10. Describe how the Marines conclude their beat once it's reached its end.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describing style is an element of reading fiction that notes the importance of language usage, narration, and point of view, i.e. dialogue, personification, imagery, suspense and humor. What is C.S. Forester's style throughout "Lieutenant Hornblower"? Use specific examples from the text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
The hero of a piece of fiction can be romantic or realistic or have elements of both. Who is the hero of this adventure tale, and what actions or characteristics make this character either romantic, realistic or a combination of both in his heroic actions? Discuss specific instances throughout the text.
Essay Topic 3
How is the story resolved at the end of Chapter 20? Are all the loose ends tied up? Are all of the questions answered? What effect does the introduction of the female character, Maria, have to the ending of the story? Based on the way the novel is ended, would you as the reader wish to continue reading the series or are you satisfied with the way it ends?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)