|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Captain read to the ship's company on the fourth Sunday of every month?
2. It had been years since Bush had seen ________, but he paid no attention to them.
3. When does the Corporal of the Guard relieve the sentry outside the Captain's door?
4. Finish this quote from the text: "And sea and surf and beach seemed to be _______."
5. How is the Captain's physical appearance described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain have Wellard whipped?
2. Who could be excused from attending church services on board ships in the British Royal Navy?
3. Describe the moment when Buckland takes command of the ship.
4. Describe Hornblower's shower-bath that takes place on the quarterdeck.
5. Describe in detail Hornblower's plan for a surprise attack on the fort at Samana Bay.
6. How does Lt. Bush categorize naval officers?
7. What does Captain Sawyer order for every man after the hands haul in the weather main brace?
8. What would happen if the Renown sailed into Kingston with either a success or if "she came limping in"?
9. Why do the half-dozen ship's boys scatter sand on the deck prior to the ship's raid on the fort?
10. What factors lead to the H.M.S. Renown's defeat at Samaná Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the relationship between Bush and Hornblower different once the two officers reunite in Portsmouth? How are their behaviors different towards one another in contrast to how they communicated while on the Renown? How have the men changed since their time together on the Renown? Why is this change significant to acknowledge?
Essay Topic 2
Describing style is an element of reading fiction that notes the importance of language usage, narration, and point of view, i.e. dialogue, personification, imagery, suspense and humor. What is C.S. Forester's style throughout "Lieutenant Hornblower"? Use specific examples from the text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail how Bush and his men take Fort Samana which leads to the surrender of the Spanish Dons. What specifically contributes to this operation becoming a victory for the Renown? How are the officers rewarded for this victory?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)