|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all midshipmen trained NOT to do?
2. Why does Hornblower get angry with himself in Chapter 10?
3. How many shipmen are killed and wounded during the H.M.S. Renown's defeat at Samaná Bay?
4. The HMS Renown has ______ guns.
5. Who asks Hornblower, "How did the captain come to fall down the hatchway?" at the end of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Sawyer order for every man after the hands haul in the weather main brace?
2. Even though the Captain has been declared unfit for command and is sequestered in his cabin, at the end of Chapter 6, how is fear of the Captain still a living force on the ship?
3. Describe the injuries that the Captain suffers after his fall down the hatchway.
4. How is Samaná Bay described?
5. Describe Hornblower's appearance throughout Chapter 10.
6. After Wellard notifies the four shipmen that the Captain is coming, the four men and Wellard disperse. Explain how they accomplish this task.
7. What are the four shipmen discussing on the darkened lower gun deck at the beginning of Chapter 4?
8. What would happen if the Renown sailed into Kingston with either a success or if "she came limping in"?
9. Describe how and where cannon shot is heated.
10. Why might Bush be both pleased and irritated with Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lt. Bush and Lt. Hornblower, the two main characters of "Lieutenant Hornblower." How are these two shipmen similar in their attitudes towards being in the Royal Navy? How are these two completely different? What points of view do they have in common? What points of view do they have that are different? How are they friends and how is this friendship complicated throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Since this novel is titled "Lieutenant Hornblower," why do you think it is written from the perspective of Lt. Bush rather than Hornblower? How does this different perspective lend an air of suspense to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is the story resolved at the end of Chapter 20? Are all the loose ends tied up? Are all of the questions answered? What effect does the introduction of the female character, Maria, have to the ending of the story? Based on the way the novel is ended, would you as the reader wish to continue reading the series or are you satisfied with the way it ends?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)