|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Colonel Ortega try to scare the British from staying at the Spanish fort?
(a) He brings up yellow fever.
(b) He says the blacks will attack the fort.
(c) He says they will be cursed if they stay.
(d) He threatens with a Spanish invasion.
2. In Portsmouth, Bush runs into Hornblower. Why isn't the latter a commander?
(a) His appointment wasn't confirmed.
(b) He was court-marshaled.
(c) He deserted the Royal Navy.
(d) He was promoted to Captain.
3. What is the British currency prior to the use of "dirty notes"?
(a) The Florin.
(b) Pound sterling.
(c) Golden guineas.
(d) Silver pieces.
4. Bush hadn't been to the Kingston station in _____ years.
5. Admiral Parry, who plays whist at the Long Rooms with Hornblower, is nicknamed __________________.
(a) Bad Bloodybones.
(b) Old Tiddlywinks.
(c) Old Bloodybones.
(d) Old Bonecrusher.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ is killed by Spanish prisoners during their violent revolt on the Renown.
2. _____ is made commander of the ship formerly named La Gaditana.
3. Because of the declaration of peace, national ships of the ___________ Republic(s) would be "soluted with the honours due to foreign ships of war."
4. ________ is not one of Bush's strong points.
5. The run to Kingston, Jamaica would be completed in ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Colonel Ortega described physically?
2. What is the story that Hornblower tells to Admiral Parry at the whist table when Parry says he recognizes Hornblower's name?
3. What season is it during Bush's second visit with Hornblower in Pourtsmouth?
4. Describe how the Marines conclude their beat once it's reached its end.
5. Why does Admiral Parry confirm Hornblower's promotion to Commander?
6. What are Colonel Ortega's terms for a capitulation?
7. Describe Bush's fighting style during the prisoners' rebellion on board the Renown.
8. What are Hornblower's duties after the Renown's change in command is issued at Kingston Station?
9. How are the Spanish prisoners kept and treated on the Renown?
10. How is Surgeon Sankey characterized throughout Chapter 15?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)