|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Spanish officer with a white flag who approaches the English-taken fort is __________________.
(a) Colonel Orega.
(b) The Spanish Captain-General.
2. The "Morning Chronicle" says Napoleon is going to call himself __________________.
(b) First Consul.
3. Hornblower receives a letter in which Admiral Parry _____________________.
(a) Accuses him of cheating at whist.
(b) Asks him to dinner.
(c) Thanks him for the enjoyable evening at Long Rooms.
(d) Confirms his promotion to commander.
4. What is the first concern of the previously-mentioned Spanish officer?
(a) The safety of the soldiers taken prisoner.
(b) The safety of the women prisoners.
(c) The damage done to the fort.
(d) Safe passage to Cuba.
5. What does Maria put in Hornblower's coat pocket as she takes it from him to be sponged?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A shilling.
(c) A half-crown.
(d) A love letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of this story, _____ is in supreme control of France.
2. What infests the ship formerly named the Gaditana while the Spanish prisoners are on board?
3. Who wins the last hand of whist?
4. The landlady's daughter's name is ___________________.
5. Who says, "No peace for the wicked"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hornblower's duties after the Renown's change in command is issued at Kingston Station?
2. Describe how the Marines conclude their beat once it's reached its end.
3. What is the reward for Bush after the victory in Haiti?
4. What is published in the "Naval Chronicle" that Hornblower recommends Bush to read?
5. When Colonel Ortega and his ship approach the fort, they wave a white flag and sound the trumpets. What is the point of this?
6. How does the gun become "unbushed" towards the middle of Chapter 13?
7. Why does Admiral Parry confirm Hornblower's promotion to Commander?
8. What are Colonel Ortega's terms for a capitulation?
9. What becomes of Wellard, and how is this known?
10. Describe Bush's fighting style during the prisoners' rebellion on board the Renown.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)