|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the quote: "A ship of war manned for active service was _______."
(a) Not a desirable place to be.
(b) The loneliest place in the world.
(c) The most crowded place in the world.
(d) No place for the weak-hearted.
2. Wellard is punished by being beaten with ______________.
(a) Captain Sawyer's silver-mounted cane.
(b) Captain Sawyer's leather strap.
(c) Mr. Booth's whip.
(d) Mr. Booth's silver-mounted cane.
3. _______ had been Captain Sawyer's toady and informer.
4. When the Captain fell, he landed on his ___________.
(b) It is not known immediately.
5. From whose perspective is the novel written?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, what is still "a living force in the ship"?
2. Who would be left on the ship to take a watch while the landing party descends to the shore of Samana Bay?
3. Why does the Captain order Wellard below decks for a second time?
4. Horatio proposes that the landing party be made of ______________.
5. What does Hornblower say while watching an enemy ship being consumed by fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hornblower's shower-bath that takes place on the quarterdeck.
2. Why might Bush be both pleased and irritated with Hornblower?
3. How have the attitudes of the ship changed since the change in command?
4. Why does the Captain have Wellard whipped?
5. Why does the Captain target Wellard during his tirades of conspiracy?
6. Describe the breakfast that the shipmen have at the beginning of Chapter 5.
7. What does Captain Sawyer order for every man after the hands haul in the weather main brace?
8. What dangers await the Renown in the West Indies?
9. What is Lt. Bush's responsibility during the raid on the privateers?
10. What factors lead to the H.M.S. Renown's defeat at Samaná Bay?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)