|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The morning after the Captain's fall, the surgeon says that the Captain is _______________.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) Not fit for duty.
2. What does Bush not tolerate?
(d) Seasick shipmen.
3. What is found in the Captain's locked desk?
(a) Bottles of rum.
4. Hornblower becomes excited when getting glimpses of what alongside the ship?
(b) A shark.
(c) Flying fish.
(d) Another British ship.
5. With what is the Captain restrained?
(a) None of the answers are correct.
(b) A canvas strait-jacket leaving only his right arm out.
(c) A canvas strait-jacket leaving his legs free.
(d) A canvas strait-jacket leaving only his left arm out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes a written statement about the Captain's fall?
2. After the landing on the shores of Samana Bay, Bush is _______________.
3. At the end of Chapter 10, how many of the privateers' schooners are destroyed?
4. What do Bush and Hornblower have to share?
5. Complete Hornblower's quote: "With the fort in our hands, we can deal with the __________ up the bay."
Short Essay Questions
1. After Wellard notifies the four shipmen that the Captain is coming, the four men and Wellard disperse. Explain how they accomplish this task.
2. How does the author negatively characterize Buckland in Chapter 8?
3. What is the view like from inside the fort once Bush and his men take one of the entrances?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what is the signal to the Renown that the fort is in English hands?
5. What does it mean to "kiss the gunner's daughter" in naval terms?
6. What would happen if the Renown sailed into Kingston with either a success or if "she came limping in"?
7. What does Captain Sawyer order for every man after the hands haul in the weather main brace?
8. What does it mean that Bush is "brought up in a hard school"?
9. How is Horatio Hornblower described physically at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. Describe Hornblower's appearance throughout Chapter 10.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)