|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word is difficult for Hornblower to use when speaking with superior officers?
2. Who takes part in a secret meeting at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Hornblower and Bush.
(b) Hornblower, Smith, and Bush.
(c) Hornblower, Bush, Roberts, and Buckland.
(d) Hornblower, Bush, Smith, and Buckland.
3. Which marine sprains his ankle during the climb?
4. How is the ship's original course altered once the new orders are given?
(a) Two points, steering northeast.
(b) Two points, steering northwest.
(c) Two points, steering southeast.
(d) Two points, steering southwest.
5. Who would be left on the ship to take a watch while the landing party descends to the shore of Samana Bay?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 6, what is still "a living force in the ship"?
2. Captain Sawyer's attitude when he looks around the quarterdeck for the first time revolves around ______________.
3. Who gives the orders for the ship to be dispatched?
4. After their retreat, what is Hornblower's proposed plan?
5. Why does Bush halt for 15 minutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangers await the Renown in the West Indies?
2. What is Bush puzzled and anxious about in regards to Hornblower?
3. How is the long swell of the Atlantic described as a man at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. How is the Captain "pitiful" after his fall down the hatchway?
5. What would happen if the Renown sailed into Kingston with either a success or if "she came limping in"?
6. What does it mean to "kiss the gunner's daughter" in naval terms?
7. Describe Hornblower's appearance throughout Chapter 10.
8. Who could be excused from attending church services on board ships in the British Royal Navy?
9. Phosphorescence is ________________.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 10, what is the signal to the Renown that the fort is in English hands?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)