|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes command of the landing party?
2. What does the Captain read to the ship's company on the fourth Sunday of every month?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(c) A church service.
(d) The Articles of War.
3. What do Bush and Hornblower have to share?
(a) A map.
(c) A telescope.
(d) A canteen.
4. In regards to Hornblower's illness, Bush says _______________.
(b) "Tough luck."
(c) "Bad luck."
(d) "Hard luck."
5. Finish this quote from the text: "And sea and surf and beach seemed to be _______."
6. _______ had been Captain Sawyer's toady and informer.
7. Which items are locked in the Captain's desk?
(a) Secret orders.
(d) Bottles of rum.
8. What does the phrase, "rope yarn Sunday" mean when the Captain declares it after his reading?
(a) The men would spend the rest of the day in idleness.
(b) The men would drink rum all afternoon.
(c) The men would tie ropes all Sunday.
(d) The men would be punished for being idle.
9. Who says, "The traitors meet their desserts and the loyal hearts their reward. Give a cheer, you men."?
(b) The Captain.
10. How does Bush feel when the Captain accuses him of something untrue?
(d) Puzzled and a little hurt.
11. Who would be left on the ship to take a watch while the landing party descends to the shore of Samana Bay?
12. After their retreat, what is Hornblower's proposed plan?
(a) Sail on to Jamaica.
(b) Storm the fort in a surprise attack the next night.
(c) Go back to England.
(d) Storm the fort in a surprise attack that very night.
13. Which sailor(s) on the ship have a higher rank than Junior Lieutenant Horatio Hornblower?
(c) All of the answers are correct.
14. Hornblower shows recognition that the Captain's behavior is unusual by ______________.
(c) Flickering one eyebrow.
(d) Rolling his eyes.
15. At dinner, which officer keeps his mouth shut?
Short Answer Questions
1. The surgeon's assistants are _____________.
2. Most of the Captain's injuries are to his _______________.
3. What are all midshipmen trained NOT to do?
4. The ship's surgeon has to administer a heavy dose of _______ to set the Captain's fractured nose.
5. Since when have the British been at war?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)