|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which shipman dies during the fort's attack on the ship?
2. _______ had been Captain Sawyer's toady and informer.
3. At the end of Chapter 10, how many of the privateers' schooners are destroyed?
4. With what is the Captain restrained?
(a) None of the answers are correct.
(b) A canvas strait-jacket leaving his legs free.
(c) A canvas strait-jacket leaving only his right arm out.
(d) A canvas strait-jacket leaving only his left arm out.
5. When Hornblower states that he wishes they were going into action rather than running away, Bush calls him a ________________.
(a) Brave man.
(b) Crazy man.
6. Finish the quote: "A ship of war manned for active service was _______."
(a) The loneliest place in the world.
(b) No place for the weak-hearted.
(c) The most crowded place in the world.
(d) Not a desirable place to be.
7. Who is chosen to assist the landing party leader by assuming important duties in action?
8. After the landing on the shores of Samana Bay, Bush is _______________.
(a) Excited and nervous.
(b) Tense and excited.
(c) Scared and tense.
(d) Nervous and scared.
9. What are all midshipmen trained NOT to do?
(a) Put their hands in their pockets.
(b) Drink too much rum.
10. Why does Hornblower get angry with himself in Chapter 10?
(a) Hornblower hadn't eaten breakfast and was hungry.
(b) Hornblower let the shot get too hot in the furnace.
(c) Hornblower yelled at his men.
(d) Hornblower's men failed at hitting the first schooner.
11. Because of one of the lieutenants' deaths, Bush becomes elevated to the rank of ______________.
(a) 2nd Lieutenant.
(c) Junior Lieutenant.
(d) 1st Lieutenant.
12. Mr. Lomax is ______________.
(a) The purser.
(b) A midshipman.
(c) A volunteer.
(d) The ship surgeon.
13. It had been years since Bush had seen ________, but he paid no attention to them.
14. Buckland is ______ than most on the ship.
(a) More clear-headed.
(c) More decisive.
(d) More tired.
15. Who says of Wellard, "He knows nothing, sir. He doesn't know the bobstay from the spanker-boom."?
(a) Mr. Booth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town is farther up the Bay from the battery?
2. Who would be left on the ship to take a watch while the landing party descends to the shore of Samana Bay?
3. Who says, "You wear your guilt on your face, Mr. Bush. I'll remember this"?
4. Buckland, as acting Captain, seems to be quite ______________.
5. The surgeon's assistants are _____________.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)