|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bush not tolerate?
(a) Seasick shipmen.
2. Carberry is the master of the ship, which means he is the officer charged with the _____________.
(a) Guard of the Captain's cabin.
(b) Navigation of the ship.
(c) Preparing the meals for the officers.
(d) Swabbing of the quarterdeck.
3. Because of one of the lieutenants' deaths, Bush becomes elevated to the rank of ______________.
(a) Junior Lieutenant.
(b) 2nd Lieutenant.
(d) 1st Lieutenant.
4. When Hornblower states that he wishes they were going into action rather than running away, Bush calls him a ________________.
(b) Brave man.
(c) Crazy man.
5. Lieutenants are promoted through merit _______.
(c) Every few years.
(d) Only when prisoners are captured.
6. After the landing on the shores of Samana Bay, Bush is _______________.
(a) Scared and tense.
(b) Tense and excited.
(c) Excited and nervous.
(d) Nervous and scared.
7. Buckland, as acting Captain, seems to be quite ______________.
8. How many shipmen are killed and wounded during the H.M.S. Renown's defeat at Samaná Bay?
(a) 2 killed; 19 wounded.
(b) 20 killed; 9 wounded.
(c) 9 killed; 20 wounded.
(d) 9 killed; 2 wounded.
9. What is the name of the ship that Lt. William Bush boards at the beginning of Chapter 1?
10. Who is the ship surgeon?
11. Who speaks in a squeaky voice?
12. Hornblower suffers from ________________.
(b) Migraine headaches.
(c) Paranoid schizophrenia .
(d) A stomach ulcer.
13. Which seaman is reported to Bush as being drunk?
14. Both Bush and Hornblower have _______ for breakfast after they have successfully taken the fort.
15. Complete Hornblower's quote: "With the fort in our hands, we can deal with the __________ up the bay."
(c) Rebellious slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 6, how many days have passed since the change in command?
2. The number of shipmen in the crews that secure the lower deck guns totaled _____________.
3. How many times is Wellard beaten in total on this day?
4. Who would be left on the ship to take a watch while the landing party descends to the shore of Samana Bay?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, the Renown is plunging across the ________________.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)