|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase, "rope yarn Sunday" mean when the Captain declares it after his reading?
(a) The men would tie ropes all Sunday.
(b) The men would drink rum all afternoon.
(c) The men would spend the rest of the day in idleness.
(d) The men would be punished for being idle.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, the Renown is plunging across the ________________.
3. What is the name of the ship that Lt. William Bush boards at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Which ship is Bush serving on prior to his current employment?
5. With whom does Bush spend three weeks between employments?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother and father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother and sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Captain's physical appearance described?
2. The Captain orders _______ and _______ to report properly dressed when every watch is called.
3. Why does the Captain order Wellard below decks for a second time?
4. What rank is Bush on the ship?
5. Who says of Wellard, "He knows nothing, sir. He doesn't know the bobstay from the spanker-boom."?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)