|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Wayne Elko, Raymo, and Frank meet in 2 July?
2. What does Lee regularly request of the Soviets while in Minsk?
3. In Mexico City, what embassy does Lee go to after the Cuban embassy brushes him off?
4. In 6 September, Branch notices that many conspirators in the assassination have what?
5. Where in Dallas does Lee Oswald run into Bobby Dupard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange items has the CIA curator provided Branch with?
2. How do Lee and Marina settle into Fort Worth?
3. How does Lee meet George de Mohrenschildt?
4. What role does writing play and Lee's life in Minsk?
5. On August 12th, what concerns does Win Everett express to Parmenter?
6. Describe the interviews Oswald has in Moscow?
7. What do Frank and Raymo commiserate about on July 2nd?
8. Why is Oswald brought back to Moscow?
9. Why does Carmine Latta help with the assassination attempt?
10. What does Oswald do in Dallas prior to killing Kennedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel Lee Oswald seems uncomfortable with the notion of his own sexuality. In a three-part essay, explore how Oswald tries and fails to explore his sexual being and falls deeper into his own darkness as a result.
Part 1) Discuss Lee Oswald's romantic life in Atsugi. What is the nature of the woman to whom he loses his virginity? How does she initiate him into the realm of sexuality? What must he give up to her companions as a result?
Part 2) How does Lee Oswald meet Marina, and how does their romantic relationship develop? Discuss the process by which their relationship deteriorates, and how they relate to each other by the end of the novel.
Part 3) Discuss Lee's relationship with Dave Ferrie. How do they first meet, and is it readily apparent that Ferrie wants Oswald? How does this relationship develop? How does the sexual ambiguity of both men become apparent?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Marina Oswald is distinctly passive compared to the other major figures of the novel. Write an essay about Marina's function in Libra. How do she and Lee meet, and why does she come with him to America? Discuss how she reacts to his increasingly unhinged personality, including her coping with domestic abuse. How does Marina respond to the realization that Oswald killed the President?
Essay Topic 3
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)