|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lee stop talking to his brother in Fort Worth?
2. What is Alpha-66?
3. With whom does Marina spend much of her time in Texas?
4. What gadget does the FBI provide Oswald with?
5. Why are the strippers of 12 August concerned about the new girl from New Orleans?
Short Essay Questions
1. On October 4th, what does Branch learn about Kennedy's Miami visit?
2. How does the move to Fort Worth affect Lee and Marina's marriage?
3. How are Oswald's plans stymied in Mexico City?
4. Describe the interviews Oswald has in Moscow?
5. How does Lee and Marina's relationship begin?
6. What new plan is Frank Vasquez hatching on September 6th?
7. How does Lee meet George de Mohrenschildt?
8. On August 12th, what concerns does Win Everett express to Parmenter?
9. Why does Carmine Latta help with the assassination attempt?
10. Why is Oswald brought back to Moscow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Dave Ferrie. What are the defining physical and psychological characteristics of this individual? What role does he play in the novel and in the plot to kill Kennedy? How does his relationship with Lee Oswald shift and develop over the course of the narrative? Discuss Ferrie's portrayal as a personification of perverted patriotism.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the value of intelligence in Libra. How does the life of Lee Oswald reflect the way information is monetized? Why is Lee Oswald given a flat and a job in Minsk by the Soviets? Why do both the CIA and the FBI express interest in Oswald after his return to the US? Discuss how Oswald, because of his faulty understanding of his intelligence, proves useless to these agencies.
Essay Topic 3
Libra's central topic is the Kennedy assassination, but he also incorporates connections to other military-political events of the time. Write an essay about three of these events. What is their Cold War significance? How, in Libra, do they connect to the story of Lee Oswald? Are these connections historically accurate or largely invented by the author?
Part 1) The U-2 Incident
Part 2) The Bay of Pigs
Part 3) The General Walker shooting
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)