|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oswald try to kill himself in Moscow?
2. What does Lee call his journal?
3. In 25 September, what does Ferrie tell Lee to visit in Dallas?
4. When does Lee decide to move back to America?
5. What do the first two officers that interview Oswald determine about this truthfulness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carmine Latta help with the assassination attempt?
2. How does the move to Fort Worth affect Lee and Marina's marriage?
3. How does Lee meet George de Mohrenschildt?
4. How does Lee Oswald try to expedite his meeting with Soviet agents after his suicide attempt?
5. On October 4th, what does Branch learn about Kennedy's Miami visit?
6. How are Oswald's plans stymied in Mexico City?
7. Why do Lee and Marina decide to return to America?
8. What role does writing play and Lee's life in Minsk?
9. What money problems is Jack Ruby facing on August 12th?
10. What calls Oswald's testimony into question in Minsk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
Essay Topic 3
The assassination passage of Libra is a harrowing and disturbing series of pages, but it clearly elucidates the reality of the day. In an essay, discuss how Don DeLillo frames the events on November 22, 1963 in this passage. Whose point of view does the author tell the assassination from? Is the passage linear in its chronology? How does the author eventually make clear who killed Kennedy?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)