|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Wayne Elko, Raymo, and Frank meet in 2 July?
2. Where does Lee live in Dallas?
3. In Mexico City, what embassy does Lee go to after the Cuban embassy brushes him off?
4. Why is the motorcade in Miami canceled?
5. When is Kennedy scheduled to be in Miami as in 12 August?
Short Essay Questions
1. What money problems is Jack Ruby facing on August 12th?
2. What strange items has the CIA curator provided Branch with?
3. How does the move to Fort Worth affect Lee and Marina's marriage?
4. How does Lee meet George de Mohrenschildt?
5. How does Mackey subvert the assassination ploy on July 15th?
6. What does Oswald do in Dallas prior to killing Kennedy?
7. Describe Lee's life in Minsk after returning from the U-2 Interrogation.
8. How does Lee Oswald decide to kill General Walker?
9. What new plan is Frank Vasquez hatching on September 6th?
10. Why do Lee and Marina decide to return to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Marina Oswald is distinctly passive compared to the other major figures of the novel. Write an essay about Marina's function in Libra. How do she and Lee meet, and why does she come with him to America? Discuss how she reacts to his increasingly unhinged personality, including her coping with domestic abuse. How does Marina respond to the realization that Oswald killed the President?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Lee Oswald in Libra is an ambiguous figure, one whose loyalty is never clear as he moves from place to place and relationship to relationship. Write a three-part essay analyzing the shifting loyalties Oswald illustrates throughout the novel:
Part 1) Discuss Oswald's defection to the Soviet Union. At what point in his life does he decide that he should live in a Communist country? How does Soviet society appeal to Lee Oswald, and why does he eventually decide to return to the United States?
Part 2) What is Lee Oswald's life like in New Orleans. Why does he become friends with right wingers life Bannister and Ferrie despite his leftist leanings? Discuss his reasons for working in Bannister's office and why these conservative players tolerate his pro-Castro literature.
Part 3) Discuss the mindset that Oswald displays as he waits in his jail cell following Kennedy's murder. How does he rationalize his participation in the murder plot? What defense does he think he can present to authorities? How does this represent a fractured psyche?
Essay Topic 3
As the catalyst for the Kennedy assassination, Win Everett is a strangely benign and ambiguous figure. In an essay, discuss the grievances he expresses regarding the Kennedy administration. What does he want his fake assassination to achieve? Based on these goals, does Everett seem left or right in his political leanings? Is he an inherently violent man?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)