|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secrets do the Soviet interviewers ask Oswald about?
2. What does Oswald say to Kirilenko about the U-2 pilot?
3. With whom does Marina spend much of her time in Texas?
4. Where does Lee's mother go in this chapter to find out where her son is?
5. What do Lee and marina name their daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interviews Oswald has in Moscow?
2. What calls Oswald's testimony into question in Minsk?
3. What new plan is Frank Vasquez hatching on September 6th?
4. How does the move to Fort Worth affect Lee and Marina's marriage?
5. What does Oswald do in Dallas prior to killing Kennedy?
6. Why do Lee and Marina decide to return to America?
7. How does Lee Oswald try to expedite his meeting with Soviet agents after his suicide attempt?
8. Why does Lee Oswald try to kill himself in Moscow?
9. How do Lee and Marina settle into Fort Worth?
10. What role does writing play and Lee's life in Minsk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The assassination passage of Libra is a harrowing and disturbing series of pages, but it clearly elucidates the reality of the day. In an essay, discuss how Don DeLillo frames the events on November 22, 1963 in this passage. Whose point of view does the author tell the assassination from? Is the passage linear in its chronology? How does the author eventually make clear who killed Kennedy?
Essay Topic 2
In Libra, the author makes a clear statement regarding a conspiracy to kill Kennedy. He also includes characters in the text that illustrate the ire toward Kennedy felt by others in the country. Write an essay about three individuals who represent possible threats to the President. What is each character's specific problem with Kennedy? How does he express this outrage, and why is he ultimately not a central planner of the killing?
Part 1) Parmenter
Part 2) Astorina
Part 3) Bannister
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of intelligence in Libra. How does the life of Lee Oswald reflect the way information is monetized? Why is Lee Oswald given a flat and a job in Minsk by the Soviets? Why do both the CIA and the FBI express interest in Oswald after his return to the US? Discuss how Oswald, because of his faulty understanding of his intelligence, proves useless to these agencies.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)