|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marina most excited about regarding Lee?
2. Why is Lee arrested in New Orleans?
3. How does Oswald try to kill himself in Moscow?
4. Why is the mob considering taking over Ruby's clubs?
5. Which character does T-Jay give an assignment to in 15 July?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lee Oswald decide to kill General Walker?
2. What do Frank and Raymo commiserate about on July 2nd?
3. On August 12th, what concerns does Win Everett express to Parmenter?
4. How does the move to Fort Worth affect Lee and Marina's marriage?
5. How does Lee Oswald try to expedite his meeting with Soviet agents after his suicide attempt?
6. Describe the conversation between Ruby and Tony Astorina on September 25th.
7. How does Lee meet George de Mohrenschildt?
8. What deal does Lee strike with the FBI in New Orleans?
9. What strange items has the CIA curator provided Branch with?
10. Why do Lee and Marina decide to return to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Dave Ferrie. What are the defining physical and psychological characteristics of this individual? What role does he play in the novel and in the plot to kill Kennedy? How does his relationship with Lee Oswald shift and develop over the course of the narrative? Discuss Ferrie's portrayal as a personification of perverted patriotism.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)