|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alpha-66?
2. What do Le and Marina do a short time after they meet?
3. In New Orleans, what is Lee considering doing regarding Marina?
4. In Dallas, who convinces Lee that his destiny is to kill Kennedy?
5. What other event besides Miami does Kennedy cancel in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lee and Marina's relationship begin?
2. Describe the conversation between Ruby and Tony Astorina on September 25th.
3. Why is Oswald brought back to Moscow?
4. What does Oswald do in Dallas prior to killing Kennedy?
5. How does Lee Oswald decide to kill General Walker?
6. How does Lee Oswald try to expedite his meeting with Soviet agents after his suicide attempt?
7. On October 4th, what does Branch learn about Kennedy's Miami visit?
8. How does Lee have a falling out with the FBI in New Orleans?
9. How does Mackey subvert the assassination ploy on July 15th?
10. Why does Lee Oswald try to kill himself in Moscow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the duel narrative structure of Libra. What story does each narrative tell, and where do they connect? Who is the protagonist of each? Discuss how having two narratives allows DeLillo to discuss Oswald and the conspiracy evenly? Which narrative seems more focused and driven? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Marguerite. How does Don DeLillo use her to frame the story, and to what extent does she reemerge as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on Lee's fate? Why do her passages often involve the first person? Analyze her personality and neuroses: how do they reveal an ability to see the world as it is?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)