|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lee's behavior in the brig?
2. Why is Lee place in the brig at Atsugi?
3. Where did Mackey work with Raymo and Frank?
4. What information does Win want revealed to the public as a result of the assassination attempt?
5. How does Lee know where to find Mitsuko?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confidential information does Lee reveal to Konno in Atsugi?
2. How does Lee fair in the brig?
3. What does David Ferrie do in the Bannister office in this chapter?
4. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
5. Why, according to Parmenter, did the Bay of Pigs invasion fail?
6. What do Win, Parmenter, and Mackey discuss in 17 April?
7. How is Lee isolated in the first chapter of the novel?
8. Discuss how Branch sees death surrounding Oswald?
9. Describe the colorful conversation Bannister has at a bar on June 19th.
10. Why do Lee and Marguerite argue in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Marguerite. How does Don DeLillo use her to frame the story, and to what extent does she reemerge as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on Lee's fate? Why do her passages often involve the first person? Analyze her personality and neuroses: how do they reveal an ability to see the world as it is?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the duel narrative structure of Libra. What story does each narrative tell, and where do they connect? Who is the protagonist of each? Discuss how having two narratives allows DeLillo to discuss Oswald and the conspiracy evenly? Which narrative seems more focused and driven? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In Libra, the author makes a clear statement regarding a conspiracy to kill Kennedy. He also includes characters in the text that illustrate the ire toward Kennedy felt by others in the country. Write an essay about three individuals who represent possible threats to the President. What is each character's specific problem with Kennedy? How does he express this outrage, and why is he ultimately not a central planner of the killing?
Part 1) Parmenter
Part 2) Astorina
Part 3) Bannister
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)