|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George de Mohrenschildt interact with the CIA?
2. Who does Oswald's mother blame for her struggles in the Bronx?
3. What was Marguerite's job that she was fired from in New Orleans?
4. According to Bannister on June 19th, who does Kennedy travel with at all times?
5. Why does Lee visit the Sproul house in New Orleans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Parmenter, did the Bay of Pigs invasion fail?
2. How does Lee fair in the brig?
3. Why is Lee banned from the Sproul house?
4. Discuss how Branch sees death surrounding Oswald?
5. How does Guy Bannister respond to the Kennedy plot?
6. How are Oswald's plans stymied in Mexico City?
7. On August 12th, what concerns does Win Everett express to Parmenter?
8. Why do Lee and Marguerite argue in New Orleans?
9. On October 4th, what does Branch learn about Kennedy's Miami visit?
10. What does George de Mohrenschildt tell Parmenter about Oswald in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
The assassination passage of Libra is a harrowing and disturbing series of pages, but it clearly elucidates the reality of the day. In an essay, discuss how Don DeLillo frames the events on November 22, 1963 in this passage. Whose point of view does the author tell the assassination from? Is the passage linear in its chronology? How does the author eventually make clear who killed Kennedy?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the value of intelligence in Libra. How does the life of Lee Oswald reflect the way information is monetized? Why is Lee Oswald given a flat and a job in Minsk by the Soviets? Why do both the CIA and the FBI express interest in Oswald after his return to the US? Discuss how Oswald, because of his faulty understanding of his intelligence, proves useless to these agencies.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 2,555 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)