|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Win want revealed to the public as a result of the assassination attempt?
2. Why does Lee withhold certain information from Konno in their conversations?
3. Where did Mackey work with Raymo and Frank?
4. What does Dr. Braunfels teach Lee in Atsugi?
5. Who calls Mackey on June 19th looking for work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lee's life in New Orleans like?
2. How do Parmenter and Win plan to incorporate Oswald into the plot?
3. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
4. Who is Walter Everett, Jr.?
5. What does Lee Oswald do on his base in Atsugi?
6. What does George de Mohrenschildt tell Parmenter about Oswald in this chapter?
7. What confidential information does Lee reveal to Konno in Atsugi?
8. How does Guy Bannister respond to the Kennedy plot?
9. What does Lee dream about doing while in New Orleans?
10. What plans does Parmenter tell Mackey on May 20th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about insanity and disassociation in Libra. What mechanisms does Lee Oswald use to assume false identities, and how does this allow him disassociate himself from his actions? Discuss how Lee's view of the world becomes skewed. What delusions does he desperately hold on to? What false patterns does he begin to see in everyday life, and how does this fuel his willingness to kill Kennedy?
Essay Topic 3
Libra's central topic is the Kennedy assassination, but he also incorporates connections to other military-political events of the time. Write an essay about three of these events. What is their Cold War significance? How, in Libra, do they connect to the story of Lee Oswald? Are these connections historically accurate or largely invented by the author?
Part 1) The U-2 Incident
Part 2) The Bay of Pigs
Part 3) The General Walker shooting
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)