Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert not want to buy from Ferrie?
2. Ostensibly, how did David Ferrie die?
3. What is lee regularly quizzed on in the brig?
4. What topic does Konno become particularly interested in with Lee?
5. What was Marguerite's job that she was fired from in New Orleans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new plan is Frank Vasquez hatching on September 6th?
2. How does Guy Bannister respond to the Kennedy plot?
3. On October 4th, what does Branch learn about Kennedy's Miami visit?
4. How does Lee and Marina's relationship begin?
5. Who does Marguerite blame for her life in the Bronx?
6. What does David Ferrie do in the Bannister office in this chapter?
7. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
8. How does DeLillo portray the shooting of Kennedy?
9. Why is Parmenter especially angry about the Bay of Pigs debacle?
10. Why is Oswald brought back to Moscow?
Essay Topic 1
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Marguerite. How does Don DeLillo use her to frame the story, and to what extent does she reemerge as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on Lee's fate? Why do her passages often involve the first person? Analyze her personality and neuroses: how do they reveal an ability to see the world as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)