|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lee place in the brig at Atsugi?
2. What type of propaganda is found in Oswald's office on June 19th?
3. What group was Eladio del Valle the head of?
4. Why does Lee Oswald have difficulty reading?
5. What role does Parmenter think Oswald can play in the plot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
2. Who does Marguerite blame for her life in the Bronx?
3. What does David Ferrie do in the Bannister office in this chapter?
4. How does Lee fair in the brig?
5. Why do Lee and Marguerite argue in New Orleans?
6. Why does Lee go to meet Dr. Braunfels in Atsugi?
7. Why is Lee banned from the Sproul house?
8. What does George de Mohrenschildt tell Parmenter about Oswald in this chapter?
9. Describe the colorful conversation Bannister has at a bar on June 19th.
10. How do Parmenter and Win plan to incorporate Oswald into the plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Libra's central topic is the Kennedy assassination, but he also incorporates connections to other military-political events of the time. Write an essay about three of these events. What is their Cold War significance? How, in Libra, do they connect to the story of Lee Oswald? Are these connections historically accurate or largely invented by the author?
Part 1) The U-2 Incident
Part 2) The Bay of Pigs
Part 3) The General Walker shooting
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Marguerite. How does Don DeLillo use her to frame the story, and to what extent does she reemerge as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on Lee's fate? Why do her passages often involve the first person? Analyze her personality and neuroses: how do they reveal an ability to see the world as it is?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)