|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Fort Worth, what country does Oswald's travel visa expire in?
2. What plan does Lee develop for his future while in Atsugi?
3. What does Branch find strange about the information sent him?
4. In what city does Win Everett initially want to stage the assassination attempt?
5. From whom does Lee get his unauthorized gun Atsugi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David Ferrie do in the Bannister office in this chapter?
2. What information about Oswald does Win receive at the beginning of June 19th?
3. How is Lee isolated in the first chapter of the novel?
4. Why is Parmenter especially angry about the Bay of Pigs debacle?
5. What do Win, Parmenter, and Mackey discuss in 17 April?
6. What confidential information does Lee reveal to Konno in Atsugi?
7. What does Lee Oswald do on his base in Atsugi?
8. How does Lee meet David Ferrie?
9. What does Lee dream about doing while in New Orleans?
10. Why does Lee go to meet Dr. Braunfels in Atsugi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Marguerite. How does Don DeLillo use her to frame the story, and to what extent does she reemerge as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on Lee's fate? Why do her passages often involve the first person? Analyze her personality and neuroses: how do they reveal an ability to see the world as it is?
Essay Topic 2
The main framing device of the two narratives of Libra is the figure of Nicholas Branch. In an essay, discuss the Branch storyline in the novel. Who is Nicholas Branch, and what is his objective in the novel? How does his life devolve in a fashion similar to Oswald's? Discuss the extent to which the rest of Libra is the product of Nicholas Branch's work.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)