|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What coup did Parmenter plan?
2. After leaving Fort Worth, what country does Oswald's travel visa expire in?
3. Whose wife is Beryl?
4. According to Bannister on June 19th, who does Kennedy travel with at all times?
5. Who is employing Branch in 17 April?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Parmenter especially angry about the Bay of Pigs debacle?
2. How does Lee meet Konno in Atsugi?
3. What does Lee Oswald do on his base in Atsugi?
4. How does Lee meet David Ferrie?
5. Why is Lee Oswald punished before shipping out?
6. What does George de Mohrenschildt tell Parmenter about Oswald in this chapter?
7. What do Win, Parmenter, and Mackey discuss in 17 April?
8. How is Lee isolated in the first chapter of the novel?
9. Who are the exiles on May 20th?
10. Describe the colorful conversation Bannister has at a bar on June 19th.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel Libra begins with a single CIA man having a plan to fake an assassination attempt and bringing two colleagues on board. Write an essay about each of these three men. What is each man's vested interest in this plan? What is he revenging? What goal does he wish to attain? In the end, how does this man lose control of the people he brings on board with the plot? What becomes of him?
Part 1) Everett
Part 2) Parmenter
Part 3) Mackey
Essay Topic 2
In Libra, individuals resort to violence when they feel trapped and marginalized in their lives. Discuss this striking out that occurs when characters feel they have no other options in a three-part essay:
Part 1) What indignities and profession setbacks has Win Everett suffered prior to the events of the novel? Why does he feel he has no voice in the intelligence community? Discuss how he decides staging an assassination attempt will remedy these injustices.
Part 2) Discuss the dreams and hopes that Lee Oswald has throughout the novel, and how their failure leads him to consider murder as an alternative. What purpose does the assassination serve for him personally? How does he feel empowered?
Part 3) What personal challenges is Jack Ruby facing when DeLillo introduces him near the end of the novel? What tactics does he use to avoid complete failure? What role does the murder of Oswald play in his personal redemption?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Dave Ferrie. What are the defining physical and psychological characteristics of this individual? What role does he play in the novel and in the plot to kill Kennedy? How does his relationship with Lee Oswald shift and develop over the course of the narrative? Discuss Ferrie's portrayal as a personification of perverted patriotism.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)