|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferrie mask by his conversation with Delphine?
2. Who confirms that Raymo and Frank will join the plot in 20 May?
3. How do Lee and Robert know Dave Ferrie?
4. In the Bronx, why does Marguerite claims she cannot make her son go to school?
5. Why did Parmenter lose money after the Bay of Pigs failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lee's life in New Orleans like?
2. Why is Lee Oswald punished before shipping out?
3. Why is Lee banned from the Sproul house?
4. How do Parmenter and Win plan to incorporate Oswald into the plot?
5. Why, according to Parmenter, did the Bay of Pigs invasion fail?
6. Why does Lee go to meet Dr. Braunfels in Atsugi?
7. How does Lee meet David Ferrie?
8. What information about Oswald does Win receive at the beginning of June 19th?
9. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
10. How does Lee meet Konno in Atsugi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Marina Oswald is distinctly passive compared to the other major figures of the novel. Write an essay about Marina's function in Libra. How do she and Lee meet, and why does she come with him to America? Discuss how she reacts to his increasingly unhinged personality, including her coping with domestic abuse. How does Marina respond to the realization that Oswald killed the President?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Lee Oswald seems uncomfortable with the notion of his own sexuality. In a three-part essay, explore how Oswald tries and fails to explore his sexual being and falls deeper into his own darkness as a result.
Part 1) Discuss Lee Oswald's romantic life in Atsugi. What is the nature of the woman to whom he loses his virginity? How does she initiate him into the realm of sexuality? What must he give up to her companions as a result?
Part 2) How does Lee Oswald meet Marina, and how does their romantic relationship develop? Discuss the process by which their relationship deteriorates, and how they relate to each other by the end of the novel.
Part 3) Discuss Lee's relationship with Dave Ferrie. How do they first meet, and is it readily apparent that Ferrie wants Oswald? How does this relationship develop? How does the sexual ambiguity of both men become apparent?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Dave Ferrie. What are the defining physical and psychological characteristics of this individual? What role does he play in the novel and in the plot to kill Kennedy? How does his relationship with Lee Oswald shift and develop over the course of the narrative? Discuss Ferrie's portrayal as a personification of perverted patriotism.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)