|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end 17 April, Parmenter hears reports about an assassination attempt on who?
2. How old is Lee in New Orleans?
3. In New Orleans, Lee reads a handbook of what branch of the military?
4. After leaving Fort Worth, what country does Oswald's travel visa expire in?
5. Who confirms that Raymo and Frank will join the plot in 20 May?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lee meet David Ferrie?
2. Why is Lee Oswald punished before shipping out?
3. What is Lee's life in New Orleans like?
4. How does Lee fair in the brig?
5. What information about Oswald does Win receive at the beginning of June 19th?
6. Why do Lee and Marguerite argue in New Orleans?
7. Why, according to Parmenter, did the Bay of Pigs invasion fail?
8. What does Lee read about in New Orleans?
9. How does Guy Bannister respond to the Kennedy plot?
10. How does Lee meet Konno in Atsugi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about insanity and disassociation in Libra. What mechanisms does Lee Oswald use to assume false identities, and how does this allow him disassociate himself from his actions? Discuss how Lee's view of the world becomes skewed. What delusions does he desperately hold on to? What false patterns does he begin to see in everyday life, and how does this fuel his willingness to kill Kennedy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of intelligence in Libra. How does the life of Lee Oswald reflect the way information is monetized? Why is Lee Oswald given a flat and a job in Minsk by the Soviets? Why do both the CIA and the FBI express interest in Oswald after his return to the US? Discuss how Oswald, because of his faulty understanding of his intelligence, proves useless to these agencies.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)