|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What coup did Parmenter plan?
2. Why was Marguerite recently fired?
3. What documentation does Parmenter provide Mackey with in 20 May?
4. Why is Lee mocked at his school in the Bronx?
5. Why does Lee Oswald have difficulty reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Win Everett decide about the assassination location in 26 April?
2. Describe the colorful conversation Bannister has at a bar on June 19th.
3. How does Guy Bannister respond to the Kennedy plot?
4. What does Lee Oswald do on his base in Atsugi?
5. Who is Walter Everett, Jr.?
6. How does Lee fair in the brig?
7. What is Lee's life in New Orleans like?
8. What initial actions do the CIA men take for their plan on April 17th?
9. Why is Parmenter especially angry about the Bay of Pigs debacle?
10. Why do Lee and Marguerite argue in New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As the catalyst for the Kennedy assassination, Win Everett is a strangely benign and ambiguous figure. In an essay, discuss the grievances he expresses regarding the Kennedy administration. What does he want his fake assassination to achieve? Based on these goals, does Everett seem left or right in his political leanings? Is he an inherently violent man?
Essay Topic 2
The assassination passage of Libra is a harrowing and disturbing series of pages, but it clearly elucidates the reality of the day. In an essay, discuss how Don DeLillo frames the events on November 22, 1963 in this passage. Whose point of view does the author tell the assassination from? Is the passage linear in its chronology? How does the author eventually make clear who killed Kennedy?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the nihilistic tone of Libra. To what extend do the events of the novel add up to a sum of nothing thematically? What impels Lee Oswald toward his final end? Does Win Everett achieve anything he intended? In the end, does President Kennedy die for any reason? Discuss if the world of Libra is one in which fate or some higher power guides characters' ends.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)