Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. What type of plant did Grandma Moore grow on her farm in West Texas?
4. Which of the following did Mary want to purchase with the money she inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
2. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
5. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
6. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
9. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
10. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
Essay Topic 1
Around Mary's tenth birthday, Pete and Charlie begin to struggle for power in their relationship, a conflict that comes out in various ways in the relationship. First, explain how Pete attempts to exert his power in the relationship and compare / contrast that to the way Charlie attempts to exert her power in the relationship. What is the same about their struggles for power? What is different? What is the effect of this power struggle on the maturity of the children in the house? Be sure to include at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
As a child, Mary was sexually assaulted. First, describe the setting of Mary's sexual assault and describe Mary's reaction to the event. Then, compare / contrast Mary's childhood reaction to the assault with her adult reaction to the assault. What is the same about her reactions? What is different? Finally, explain which of Mary's reactions you think was the most beneficial in helping Mary cope with the events of the assault and explain why, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)