|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal did Grandma Moore insist on eating rather than eating Pete's roadside gumbo?
2. What type of animal did Mary associate with the smell in Grandma Moore's bedroom while she was staying with the Karr family?
3. At which aunt's house did Grandma Moore die?
4. How much money did Mary believe the Moore family inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. What did Grandma Moore show Mary as proof that Tex and Belinda were real people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pete witness of the hurricane when he refused to evacuate to Lubbock with his family?
2. What traumatic event occurred while Mary and her family were driving from Leechfied to Lubbock in the hopes of outrunning the storm?
3. Why did Mary begin to compulsively check the mailbox after Father's Day?
4. How did Mary learn to cope with her mother's mental instability, particularly after Charlie's breakdown after inheriting a large sum of money from Grandma Moore?
5. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
6. What event led to Mary swearing that she would never step foot in Charlie's bar again?
7. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
8. What was The Liars' Club?
9. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
10. What major event took place in Mary's life while driving to the World's Fair in Seattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main issues Mary struggled with throughout her childhood was feeling competitive with her sister, Lecia. First, explain the relationship between Mary and Lecia in their early childhood. What elements of their personalities were pitted against each other for competition? Then, explain how the relationship between Mary and Lecia changed when their mother was committed. How did the competitive nature of the relationship between the two sister alter once their mother was no longer in the home? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)