|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lunch does Mary remember most loving as a child, remembering how the construction worker men ate the meal with reverence?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. Whom did Charlie call on the phone after threatening to harm her daughters?
4. Where did Pete work at the time when he first met Charlie?
5. What did Pete buy for Mary for her tenth birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
2. How did Mary initially feel about Antelope when she and her family first moved there?
3. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
4. How did Pete react when Mary announced that she didn't want her mother to return from the mental institution?
5. How did Pete manage the family's money during their toughest financial times?
6. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
7. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
8. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
9. What event led to Mary swearing that she would never step foot in Charlie's bar again?
10. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 3
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,894 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)