|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Mary believe the Moore family inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
2. How did Lecia react when she heard the news that Grandma Moore had passed away?
3. How many times had Charlie been married before meeting Pete?
4. At which aunt's house did Grandma Moore die?
5. Which institution did Pete visit each week to pay a portion of his bill, but was never able to pay off completely?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news that their family had inherited a large sum of money from Grandma Moore's estate?
2. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
3. How did Charlie and Pete first meet?
4. How did Mary tie together the news of the jellyfish attack with the news of Grandma Moore's death?
5. What was the truth behind Tex and Belinda, as Charlie told the story?
6. How did the Karr family cope when they were all struck with insomnia at the same time?
7. What did Mary believe to be the most traumatic memory of her childhood?
8. How did Mary feel after her mother served her her first alcoholic beverage?
9. How did Mary initially feel about Antelope when she and her family first moved there?
10. What event led to Mary swearing that she would never step foot in Charlie's bar again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
After Grandma Moore's death, Charlie begins a deep, downward spiral. First, explain the timeline of events that eventually lead Charlie to her pitiful state at the end of the novel. Who / what does Charlie blame for the fate of her life? Who / what does Mary blame for her mother's problems? As a reader, who / what do you think is responsible for landing Charlie in her emotional and physical state at the end of the memoir? Be sure to include at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 2,820 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)