|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food did Mary wake to find Charlie cooking, naked, at the oven in the middle of the night?
2. What did Mary ask for for dinner on her tenth birthday?
3. During what month of the year were the construction projects in the Karr family home complete, allowing for Grandma Moore to finally move in?
4. What war was Robert returning home from when he decided to commit suicide?
5. What color was the paint that Mary smeared over her face and mouth while her mother was out of the painting studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
2. What happened during the fight between Mary and Big Bertha?
3. Who were Tex and Belinda?
4. How did Mary know her relationship with her neighbors in Texas was beginning to change?
5. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
6. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
7. What major event took place in Mary's life while driving to the World's Fair in Seattle?
8. How did Charlie react to the news that Mary's school wanted to advance her through the reading program at an accelerated rate?
9. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
10. How did Mary tie together the news of the jellyfish attack with the news of Grandma Moore's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main issues Mary struggled with throughout her childhood was feeling competitive with her sister, Lecia. First, explain the relationship between Mary and Lecia in their early childhood. What elements of their personalities were pitted against each other for competition? Then, explain how the relationship between Mary and Lecia changed when their mother was committed. How did the competitive nature of the relationship between the two sister alter once their mother was no longer in the home? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the memoir, Mary explains that her mother has been taken away for being "Nervous." First, explain what the definition of "Nervous" is within the medical community of Mary's hometown. Then, choose one other person in the town that was diagnosed with "Nervousness" and compare / contrast that nervousness to Mary's mother's nervousness. What is the same about their conditions? What is different? Which case of nervousness seems to be more severe? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)