|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which caged animal did Mary compare her mother while visiting the Houston zoo?
2. During her mental breakdown, what was Charlie screaming that she wanted to be?
3. What was the name of the town where Charlie and Pete first met?
4. During what month of the year were the construction projects in the Karr family home complete, allowing for Grandma Moore to finally move in?
5. What song did Charlie sing under her breath while driving erratically through the rain-whipped streets during the hurricane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major event took place in Mary's life while driving to the World's Fair in Seattle?
2. Who were Tex and Belinda?
3. What did Mary believe to be the most traumatic memory of her childhood?
4. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
5. How did Mary find out that her family was moving, yet again, from Colorado?
6. What was the effect of the many years of hard drinking on Pete's body?
7. How did the neighborhood pitch in to help when Grandma Moore moved in with the Karr family?
8. What was Pete's reaction to the news that his daughters would be coming to stay with him full-time?
9. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
10. What relationship did Mary have with her grandmother when the pair was living together during Mary's childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)