|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Grandma Moore live during Mary's childhood?
2. After hearing about Tex and Belinda, how long did Mary spend burying the memory of these children?
3. During what major event in American history was Charlie Moore born?
4. In whose arms did Mary's older sister pretend to sleep while the doctor was checking her out at the opening of the memoir?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Grandma Moore regularly complained about when she was living with the Karr family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict arose regarding Pete's medical insurance when he suffered his stroke?
2. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
3. How did Mary feel after her mother served her her first alcoholic beverage?
4. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
5. What happened to Mary while she was out at the bar with Pete during her school vacation?
6. What was the truth behind Tex and Belinda, as Charlie told the story?
7. What did Mary believe to be the most traumatic memory of her childhood?
8. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
9. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
10. How did Grandma Moore treat Cousin Dotty in comparison to the way she treated Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)