|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lecia react when she heard the news that Grandma Moore had passed away?
2. Which of the following Karr family members refused to evacuate the home when a hurricane rolled through?
3. What part of his body did Pete claim his father broke before his death?
4. In whose arms did Mary's older sister pretend to sleep while the doctor was checking her out at the opening of the memoir?
5. On what was Mary lying at the opening of the memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pete manage the family's money during their toughest financial times?
2. How did music affect Charlie's mood during her depression?
3. How did Charlie react to the news that Mary's school wanted to advance her through the reading program at an accelerated rate?
4. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
5. How did Grandma Moore treat Cousin Dotty in comparison to the way she treated Charlie?
6. How did Mary tie together the news of the jellyfish attack with the news of Grandma Moore's death?
7. What happened to the Karr family when Mary moved away from Texas to pursue her education?
8. How did the Karr family cope when they were all struck with insomnia at the same time?
9. How did Mary initially feel about Antelope when she and her family first moved there?
10. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Books become an important method of escape for Mary during her violent and troubled childhood. One book in particular, Dracula, is especially important to her. First, describe how Mary was first introduced to the book, Dracula. Then, give examples of at least two scenes in the memoir in which Mary uses metaphors from the book to explain her psychology. Finally, explain whether or not you believe the book Dracula is a good metaphor for Mary's life and why. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)