|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following states was most hard hit during the hurricane?
2. What was the only bill Pete managed to pay on time each month during the time his family was in the deepest financial strain?
3. What part of his body did Pete claim his father broke before his death?
4. Which institution did Pete visit each week to pay a portion of his bill, but was never able to pay off completely?
5. What did Grandma Moore show Mary as proof that Tex and Belinda were real people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event led to Mary swearing that she would never step foot in Charlie's bar again?
2. What was Pete's condition like when he was recovering in the hospital from his stroke?
3. How did Mary feel after her mother served her her first alcoholic beverage?
4. What was Lecia's reaction to the news that Grandma Moore had died?
5. What happened during the fight between Mary and Big Bertha?
6. How did Pete react when Mary announced that she didn't want her mother to return from the mental institution?
7. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
8. What led up to the fight between Charlie and Pete on Mary's tenth birthday?
9. In what ways did Mary try to care for her father when he came to live with the family after being released from the hospital?
10. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her time working at and owning the bar, Charlie meets and introduces her daughters to various men. First, describe Gordon, and man who becomes increasingly important in Charlie's life after she buys the bar. Then, compare / contrast Gordon's involvement with the family to Joey's involvement with the family. How do these men take on roles of responsibility within the Karr home. What benefit does Mary receive from having this revolving door of men in her life? What danger is she put in? In the end, is the introduction of these men more of a positive or negative experience in Mary's life? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)