Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. What type of plant did Grandma Moore grow on her farm in West Texas?
4. Which of the following did Mary want to purchase with the money she inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
2. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
5. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
6. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
9. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
10. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
One of the main issues Mary struggled with throughout her childhood was feeling competitive with her sister, Lecia. First, explain the relationship between Mary and Lecia in their early childhood. What elements of their personalities were pitted against each other for competition? Then, explain how the relationship between Mary and Lecia changed when their mother was committed. How did the competitive nature of the relationship between the two sister alter once their mother was no longer in the home? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
The title of this novel is based after a real club explained in the memoir. First, explain what The Liars' Club is and who could become a member. Then, explain how the club affected Mary's life and her relationship with her family. Finally, explain whether or not you believe "The Liars' Club" is a fitting title for this novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)