|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinct article of clothing was Charlie wearing in her death photograph?
2. Who jumped into the water and wrestled Lecia back to shore, despite the jellyfish wrapped around her leg?
3. To which caged animal did Mary compare her mother while visiting the Houston zoo?
4. What was streaked all over the mirrors and windows in the house on the day Charlie went missing?
5. What city did Charlie regularly think of while listening to the opera?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary and Lecia find out they had missed Father's Day?
2. How did the Karr family cope when they were all struck with insomnia at the same time?
3. How did the neighborhood pitch in to help when Grandma Moore moved in with the Karr family?
4. How did Lecia react when her mother threatened to shoot Hector in front of her?
5. Who were Tex and Belinda?
6. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
7. How did Charlie and Pete first meet?
8. What parts of the school system in Antelope were different than the school system in Leechfield?
9. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
10. What major event took place in Mary's life while driving to the World's Fair in Seattle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this novel is based after a real club explained in the memoir. First, explain what The Liars' Club is and who could become a member. Then, explain how the club affected Mary's life and her relationship with her family. Finally, explain whether or not you believe "The Liars' Club" is a fitting title for this novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 2,794 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)