|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals did NOT flood into the street after the hurricane?
2. During what season of the year did Charlie have her full scale mental breakdown?
3. Who jumped into the water and wrestled Lecia back to shore, despite the jellyfish wrapped around her leg?
4. What did Mary ask for for dinner on her tenth birthday?
5. What meal did Grandma Moore insist on eating rather than eating Pete's roadside gumbo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Grandma Moore treat Cousin Dotty in comparison to the way she treated Charlie?
2. How did the Karr family cope when they were all struck with insomnia at the same time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did Pete react when Mary announced that she didn't want her mother to return from the mental institution?
5. What relationship did Mary have with her grandmother when the pair was living together during Mary's childhood?
6. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
7. How did music affect Charlie's mood during her depression?
8. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
9. What conflict arose regarding Pete's medical insurance when he suffered his stroke?
10. What did Pete witness of the hurricane when he refused to evacuate to Lubbock with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)