|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which meat product did Mary compare Grandma Moore's disfigured body?
2. Which of the following was NOT something Charlie burned in a bonfire during her mental breakdown?
3. Which lunch does Mary remember most loving as a child, remembering how the construction worker men ate the meal with reverence?
4. At the Liars' Club meetings, how did Pete say his father died, which was a lie?
5. On what was Mary lying at the opening of the memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
2. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
3. What was Pete's reaction to the news that his daughters would be coming to stay with him full-time?
4. What happened when the Karr family left the Bridge Cafe soon after Mary's birthday?
5. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
6. After leaving the hospital, how did Charlie react when visiting the Houston Zoo?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. How did the Karr family cope when they were all struck with insomnia at the same time?
9. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
10. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Books become an important method of escape for Mary during her violent and troubled childhood. One book in particular, Dracula, is especially important to her. First, describe how Mary was first introduced to the book, Dracula. Then, give examples of at least two scenes in the memoir in which Mary uses metaphors from the book to explain her psychology. Finally, explain whether or not you believe the book Dracula is a good metaphor for Mary's life and why. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)