|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Mary the first time she was sexually assaulted by the neighbor boy?
2. What was the name of the restaurant where Pete punched Charlie in the face?
3. What type of alcohol was Pete known to keep in his truck?
4. During what month of the year were the construction projects in the Karr family home complete, allowing for Grandma Moore to finally move in?
5. How many times had Charlie been married before meeting Pete?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of the many years of hard drinking on Pete's body?
2. After leaving the hospital, how did Charlie react when visiting the Houston Zoo?
3. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
4. What startling event did Mary experience while driving in the car with her mother to Lubbock as a child?
5. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
6. What was Pete's condition like when he was recovering in the hospital from his stroke?
7. What did Pete witness of the hurricane when he refused to evacuate to Lubbock with his family?
8. What behaviors did Grandma Moore witness in the Karr girls as children that deeply disturbed her?
9. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
10. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main issues Mary struggled with throughout her childhood was feeling competitive with her sister, Lecia. First, explain the relationship between Mary and Lecia in their early childhood. What elements of their personalities were pitted against each other for competition? Then, explain how the relationship between Mary and Lecia changed when their mother was committed. How did the competitive nature of the relationship between the two sister alter once their mother was no longer in the home? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)