|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinct article of clothing was Charlie wearing in her death photograph?
2. Which lunch does Mary remember most loving as a child, remembering how the construction worker men ate the meal with reverence?
3. What type of medicine did the doctors pump into Grandma Moore's body with the hopes of slowing down the spreading of Grandma's cancer?
4. Who was the first member of the family to see Grandma Moore's dead body?
5. How tall was the wave of water Pete saw flooding in from the hurricane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
2. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
3. What behaviors did Grandma Moore witness in the Karr girls as children that deeply disturbed her?
4. Why did Mary begin to compulsively check the mailbox after Father's Day?
5. What led up to the fight between Charlie and Pete on Mary's tenth birthday?
6. What startling event did Mary experience while driving in the car with her mother to Lubbock as a child?
7. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
8. How did Grandma Moore treat Cousin Dotty in comparison to the way she treated Charlie?
9. How did music affect Charlie's mood during her depression?
10. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this novel is based after a real club explained in the memoir. First, explain what The Liars' Club is and who could become a member. Then, explain how the club affected Mary's life and her relationship with her family. Finally, explain whether or not you believe "The Liars' Club" is a fitting title for this novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)