|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common animal did Pete catch around the house and use to make gumbo for his family?
2. What did Pete tell the girls was the most dangerous part of a man-of-war jellyfish?
3. What beverage did Grandma Moore drink to dull her cancerous pain?
4. How did Mary know that Lecia had been attacked by a jellyfish even though her sister was still in the water?
5. Which of the following Karr family members was struck with insomnia after Grandma Moore's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news that Mary's school wanted to advance her through the reading program at an accelerated rate?
2. What traumatic event occurred while Mary and her family were driving from Leechfied to Lubbock in the hopes of outrunning the storm?
3. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
4. After leaving the hospital, how did Charlie react when visiting the Houston Zoo?
5. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
6. In what ways did Mary try to care for her father when he came to live with the family after being released from the hospital?
7. Who were Tex and Belinda?
8. What parts of the school system in Antelope were different than the school system in Leechfield?
9. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
10. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 3
When Grandma Moore dies, the Karr family has very mixed reactions to the news. Choose two Karr family members that had profound reactions to the death and compare / contrast their reactions. What is the same about their reactions? What is different? How do these two reactions to Grandma Moore's death show the depth and complications in her character? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)