Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. What type of plant did Grandma Moore grow on her farm in West Texas?
4. Which of the following did Mary want to purchase with the money she inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
2. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
5. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
6. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
9. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
10. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Throughout her time working at and owning the bar, Charlie meets and introduces her daughters to various men. First, describe Gordon, and man who becomes increasingly important in Charlie's life after she buys the bar. Then, compare / contrast Gordon's involvement with the family to Joey's involvement with the family. How do these men take on roles of responsibility within the Karr home. What benefit does Mary receive from having this revolving door of men in her life? What danger is she put in? In the end, is the introduction of these men more of a positive or negative experience in Mary's life? How can you tell?
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)