Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. What type of plant did Grandma Moore grow on her farm in West Texas?
4. Which of the following did Mary want to purchase with the money she inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
2. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
5. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
6. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
9. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
10. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
Essay Topic 1
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)