|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Mary believe the Moore family inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
2. During what season of the year did Charlie have her full scale mental breakdown?
3. Which of the following snacks did Mary typically eat while at the Liars' Club meetings?
4. Which of the following was NOT something Charlie burned in a bonfire during her mental breakdown?
5. To which meat product did Mary compare Grandma Moore's disfigured body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lecia's reaction to the news that Grandma Moore had died?
2. Why did Charlie choose to vacation in Mexico for four weeks, and what news did she bring back to her daughters upon her return?
3. What was The Liars' Club?
4. What happened while Mary was reading the book Charlotte's Web while staying home sick from school?
5. How did Mary initially feel about Antelope when she and her family first moved there?
6. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
7. How did Grandma Moore treat Cousin Dotty in comparison to the way she treated Charlie?
8. What was the truth behind Tex and Belinda, as Charlie told the story?
9. How did Pete react when Mary announced that she didn't want her mother to return from the mental institution?
10. Where was Mary when she was sexually assaulted, and what was her reaction to the event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1After Grandma Moore's death, Charlie begins a deep, downward spiral. First, explain the timeline of events that eventually lead Charlie to her pitiful state at the end of the novel. Who / what does Charlie blame for the fate of her life? Who / what does Mary blame for her mother's problems? As a reader, who / what do you think is responsible for landing Charlie in her emotional and physical state at the end of the memoir? Be sure to include at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 3In her childhood, Mary has two very strong motherly figures in her life: her mother and her grandmother. First, describe Charlie's mothering style. Then, compare / contrast that to Grandmother Moore's mothering style. What is the same about their mothering styles? What is different? Finally, explain what Mary learned about herself and her family from her two mother figures. Which of these women do you think had a more profound effect on Mary in her childhood? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)