Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
2. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
3. What type of plant did Grandma Moore grow on her farm in West Texas?
4. Which of the following did Mary want to purchase with the money she inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie react to the news of the hurricane that threatened to eviscerate Leechfield?
2. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
3. What happened when Mary and Lecia were sent to spend the evening overnight with Hector's sister, Alecia?
4. How did both Charlie and Pete deliver the news to their daughters that they were getting a divorce?
5. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
6. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
7. What happened when Hector and Pete met face-to-face in Texas?
8. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
9. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
10. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her time working at and owning the bar, Charlie meets and introduces her daughters to various men. First, describe Gordon, and man who becomes increasingly important in Charlie's life after she buys the bar. Then, compare / contrast Gordon's involvement with the family to Joey's involvement with the family. How do these men take on roles of responsibility within the Karr home. What benefit does Mary receive from having this revolving door of men in her life? What danger is she put in? In the end, is the introduction of these men more of a positive or negative experience in Mary's life? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 3
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)