|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Karr family members was struck with insomnia after Grandma Moore's death?
2. What was the name of Charlie's cousin, who Grandma Moore thought had made all the right decisions in her life?
3. What city did Charlie regularly think of while listening to the opera?
4. What did Mary ask for for dinner on her tenth birthday?
5. What name did Grandma Moore call Lecia in her drug-induced slumber at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened while Mary was reading the book Charlotte's Web while staying home sick from school?
2. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
3. Where was Mary when she was sexually assaulted, and what was her reaction to the event?
4. How did Charlie and Pete first meet?
5. How did Mary initially feel about Antelope when she and her family first moved there?
6. What traumatic event occurred while Mary and her family were driving from Leechfied to Lubbock in the hopes of outrunning the storm?
7. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
8. How did Charlie react to the news that their family had inherited a large sum of money from Grandma Moore's estate?
9. What happened to Mary while she was out at the bar with Pete during her school vacation?
10. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Grandma Moore dies, the Karr family has very mixed reactions to the news. Choose two Karr family members that had profound reactions to the death and compare / contrast their reactions. What is the same about their reactions? What is different? How do these two reactions to Grandma Moore's death show the depth and complications in her character? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,815 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)