|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war was Robert returning home from when he decided to commit suicide?
2. What was the name of the town where Charlie and Pete first met?
3. How old was Mary the first time she was sexually assaulted by the neighbor boy?
4. What did Mary ask for for dinner on her tenth birthday?
5. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behaviors did Grandma Moore witness in the Karr girls as children that deeply disturbed her?
2. Who was Bumper, and what happened to him when Pete was admitted into the hospital?
3. What happened during the playground fight between Mary and Rickey Carter?
4. What major event took place in Mary's life while driving to the World's Fair in Seattle?
5. How did the Karr family react when Lecia was attacked by the jellyfish at the beach?
6. What was the truth behind Tex and Belinda, as Charlie told the story?
7. Why did Charlie choose to vacation in Mexico for four weeks, and what news did she bring back to her daughters upon her return?
8. What information did the girls receive from their father about their mother's whereabouts after she was committed to the psychiatric ward?
9. What happened while Mary was reading the book Charlotte's Web while staying home sick from school?
10. What was Mary's reaction to seeing her mother in the mental hospital for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the memoir, Mary explains that her mother has been taken away for being "Nervous." First, explain what the definition of "Nervous" is within the medical community of Mary's hometown. Then, choose one other person in the town that was diagnosed with "Nervousness" and compare / contrast that nervousness to Mary's mother's nervousness. What is the same about their conditions? What is different? Which case of nervousness seems to be more severe? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)