|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical reaction did Mary have when her grandmother was around that was her first feeling of "nervousness"?
2. In whose arms did Mary's older sister pretend to sleep while the doctor was checking her out at the opening of the memoir?
3. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
4. What color gown did Charlie see Marlene Dietrich wearing when she stepped out of the limousine?
5. What method did Grandma Moore employ to ensure that Mary and Lecia exhibited "proper behavior"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
2. How did Mary choose to spend the Green Stamps she collected from the grocery store?
3. How did Charlie and Pete first meet?
4. How did Mary find out that her family was moving, yet again, from Colorado?
5. How did Mary feel after her mother served her her first alcoholic beverage?
6. What conflict arose regarding Pete's medical insurance when he suffered his stroke?
7. What image did Mary see when she went to the hospital to visit her grandmother after the surgery on her leg?
8. Who were Tex and Belinda?
9. What happened when the Karr family left the Bridge Cafe soon after Mary's birthday?
10. What happened to Mary while she was out at the bar with Pete during her school vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
This section contains 2,841 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)