|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the people expected to do?
2. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
3. What does Hobbes say only God knows?
4. What does Hobbes mean when he says something must be strange and uncommon so people can believe it is the true work of God?
5. What beliefs of the Roman Catholic church does Hobbes add to his list of objections?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
2. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
3. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
4. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
5. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
6. How does Hobbes define a church?
7. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
8. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
9. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
10. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)