|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes classify the teaching of Greek and Roman philosophers?
2. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
3. What does Hobbes call a sin?
4. What example does Hobbes give as a crime that is not a crime?
5. What does Hobbes state about knowing the laws of a commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
2. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
3. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
4. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
5. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
6. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
7. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
8. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What complication does Hobbes see in obeying the sovereign and God at the same time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on imagination. Hobbes discredits most imagination as foolishness like coupling the concept of a man and a horse to come up with the idea of a centaur. Take the opposite position and write about how imagination is good and what it has given to the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)