|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one exception to a defense of not knowing the law?
2. What does Hobbes identify as heathen teaching?
3. After Abraham, with whom did God renew the covenant?
4. In addition to the Spirit of God, what other ethereal beings does Hobbes mention?
5. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
2. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
3. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
4. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
5. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
6. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
7. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
8. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
9. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
10. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the civil war in England during Hobbes' lifetime and write a summary of the conflict to explain Hobbes' references to the war. This information can be used to explain why Hobbes wrote the book and from where many of his ideas sprang.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)