Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment of exile?
2. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
3. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
4. What practices of the Roman Church does Hobbes take exception to?
5. What beliefs of the Roman Catholic church does Hobbes add to his list of objections?
Write an essay on Hobbes' idea that everything actually belongs to the sovereign of a commonwealth. Does your house and all your possessions belong to the government? Write your paper as an argument for or against that idea.
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
Obliquely in the book, Hobbes seems to be defending the English monarchy. Write a paper pointing out how the religious part of the book might also have been a defense of the Church of England. Describing some of the facts about the origins of the Church of England, how do the part of the book attacking the Catholic church fit into that picture?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)