|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the end result of worshiping?
2. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
3. What does Hobbes think takes reason away from young men?
4. What, according to Hobbes, is the first priority of the sovereign?
5. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
2. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
3. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
4. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
5. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
6. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
7. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
8. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
9. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
10. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of LEVIATHAN. In this paper give a brief synopsis, the parts you found most interesting, and the parts (if any) you found objectionable. Conclude with your recommendation on whether it is a good read for those who are interested in political philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how the political condition of the times may have influenced Hobbes' thinking. You may need to do a bit of research into the times and how Hobbes, once in great favor with the nobility, had fallen out of their favor.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)