|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the punishment of exile?
2. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
3. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
4. What practices of the Roman Church does Hobbes take exception to?
5. What beliefs of the Roman Catholic church does Hobbes add to his list of objections?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
Essay Topic 3
For the serious student, write a paper comparing Hobbes' LEVIATHAN to Machiavelli's THE PRINCE. There are similarities in both men's position with the nobility as well as some of the strictness of their ideas.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)