|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Hobbes say are necessary to be received into the Kingdom of God?
2. What is impunity?
3. What does Hobbes call the worship of images?
4. What does Hobbes say the Scripture says regarding demons?
5. When does Hobbes say there is no crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
2. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
3. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
4. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
5. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
6. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
7. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
8. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
9. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
10. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about the religious content of LEVIATHAN. Tell in detail whether you found those parts of the book something you agree with, find objectionable, or simply boring. Cite passages from the book to illustrate your points.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)