|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes classify the teaching of Greek and Roman philosophers?
2. According to Hobbes, how does God declare His laws?
3. Who does Hobbes identify as the first sovereign of the commonwealth of the faithful?
4. What, according to Hobbes, is the first priority of the sovereign?
5. Who does Hobbes identify as the Supreme Prophet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
2. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
3. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
4. How does Hobbes define a church?
5. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
6. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
7. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
8. What does Hobbes conclude about the Scriptures?
9. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
10. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)