|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
2. Where does the Pope have a right to command according to Hobbes?
3. What does Hobbes say awaits people who do not believe in Christ or the Kingdom of God?
4. How does Hobbes define punishment?
5. Who must speak of the same God in which all Christians believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
2. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
3. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
6. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
7. How does Hobbes define a church?
8. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
9. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
10. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper speculating what Hobbes would have to say about popular science fictions today. Explain the things he would find objectionable and give examples of books, movies, or video games in your paper. For extra enjoyment, you might want to write the paper in the form of a dialogue.
Essay Topic 2
In the Bible, the leviathan was generally spoken of as some kind of fearsome creature. Write a paper stating your opinion of Hobbes' idea of the leviathan and whether the resulting creature (his commonwealth) was somehow frightening.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about the religious content of LEVIATHAN. Tell in detail whether you found those parts of the book something you agree with, find objectionable, or simply boring. Cite passages from the book to illustrate your points.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)