|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing a Christian Commonwealth, what does Hobbes have to say about Holy Scriptures?
2. Who are the subjects in the Kingdom of God?
3. Who cannot perform a miracle?
4. What did the Israelites eventually want to do with their sovereignty?
5. According to Hobbes, how does God declare His laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Hobbes' political philosophy, the only valid reason for taking up arms against a sovereign is for self protection. Write your paper based on Hitler's taking over Germany and the plight of the Jews and other minorities his persecuted. Hobbes' theory is that the people thus under such a sovereign are constrained to obey the laws of the sovereign first.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)