|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the people expected to do?
2. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
3. What does Hobbes identify as a "confederacy of deceivers" who go around poisoning the minds of other people and extinguishing their faith in nature, the gospel, and God?
4. What is the meaning of excommunication?
5. Where does the Pope have a right to command according to Hobbes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
4. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
5. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
6. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
7. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
8. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
9. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
10. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
Essay Topic 2
For the serious student, write a paper comparing Hobbes' LEVIATHAN to Machiavelli's THE PRINCE. There are similarities in both men's position with the nobility as well as some of the strictness of their ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)