|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
2. How does Hobbes define punishment?
3. Why, according to Hobbes, is it necessary to believe God is Infinite?
4. What does Hobbes call the worship of images?
5. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
2. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
3. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
4. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
5. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
6. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
7. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
8. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
9. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
10. How does Hobbes define a church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the serious student, write a paper comparing Hobbes' LEVIATHAN to Machiavelli's THE PRINCE. There are similarities in both men's position with the nobility as well as some of the strictness of their ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper explaining how you think books on political philosophy do or do not benefit society. In the paper, see if you can identify ideas in Hobbes' book that have been used by politicians since his time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the absence of law in nature as supposed by Hobbes. Explain if you think man is basically evil and can only be controlled by fear. If that is the case, how would you explain people getting together to form a commonwealth.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)