|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practices of the Roman Church does Hobbes take exception to?
2. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
3. What causes the people of a nation to become very angry and pass on their anger to their children?
4. Unless an ecclesiastical is also a king, what can he not do?
5. What are the people expected to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
3. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
5. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
6. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
7. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
8. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
9. What does Hobbes conclude about the Scriptures?
10. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 2
For the serious student, write a paper comparing Hobbes' LEVIATHAN to Machiavelli's THE PRINCE. There are similarities in both men's position with the nobility as well as some of the strictness of their ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper speculating what Hobbes would have to say about popular science fictions today. Explain the things he would find objectionable and give examples of books, movies, or video games in your paper. For extra enjoyment, you might want to write the paper in the form of a dialogue.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)