|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is faith so important?
2. Who must speak of the same God in which all Christians believe?
3. What practices of the Roman Church does Hobbes take exception to?
4. Unless an ecclesiastical is also a king, what can he not do?
5. How does it become difficult to be obedient to both God and sovereign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
3. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
4. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
5. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
6. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
7. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
8. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
9. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
10. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the political condition of the times may have influenced Hobbes' thinking. You may need to do a bit of research into the times and how Hobbes, once in great favor with the nobility, had fallen out of their favor.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the absence of law in nature as supposed by Hobbes. Explain if you think man is basically evil and can only be controlled by fear. If that is the case, how would you explain people getting together to form a commonwealth.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)