|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is faith so important?
2. What does Hobbes call the worship of images?
3. When does Hobbes think philosophy began?
4. What are some ways Hobbes describes the Spirit of God?
5. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
3. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
4. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
5. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
6. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
7. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
8. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
9. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
10. What does Hobbes conclude about the Scriptures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For the serious student, write a paper comparing Hobbes' LEVIATHAN to Machiavelli's THE PRINCE. There are similarities in both men's position with the nobility as well as some of the strictness of their ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Look up information about the civil war in England during Hobbes' lifetime and write a summary of the conflict to explain Hobbes' references to the war. This information can be used to explain why Hobbes wrote the book and from where many of his ideas sprang.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)