|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hobbes suggest popular figures could be a danger to the commonwealth?
2. What must punishment focus on?
3. How does Hobbes classify the teaching of Greek and Roman philosophers?
4. What is the punishment of exile?
5. What roles does Hobbes say are assigned to Jesus Christ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
3. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
4. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
5. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
6. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
7. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
8. What complication does Hobbes see in obeying the sovereign and God at the same time?
9. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
10. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the absence of law in nature as supposed by Hobbes. Explain if you think man is basically evil and can only be controlled by fear. If that is the case, how would you explain people getting together to form a commonwealth.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)