|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is needed to protect people from danger?
2. Why does Hobbes contend that no sovereign can do wrong to anyone under his authority?
3. What two systems does Hobbes define within a commonwealth?
4. What option does Hobbes say everyone has?
5. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
2. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
3. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
4. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
5. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
6. In any political situation, what does Hobbes identify as a basic right?
7. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
8. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
9. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
10. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the political condition of the times may have influenced Hobbes' thinking. You may need to do a bit of research into the times and how Hobbes, once in great favor with the nobility, had fallen out of their favor.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Hobbes' idea that everything actually belongs to the sovereign of a commonwealth. Does your house and all your possessions belong to the government? Write your paper as an argument for or against that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the absence of law in nature as supposed by Hobbes. Explain if you think man is basically evil and can only be controlled by fear. If that is the case, how would you explain people getting together to form a commonwealth.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)