|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes identify political systems?
2. Where does Hobbes insist people go when they disagree?
3. What two factors does Hobbes believe control mental discourse?
4. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
5. What does the commonwealth need to successfully control the society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
2. How does Hobbes differentiate between command and counsel?
3. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
4. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
5. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
6. How does Hobbes extol the idea of the commonwealth?
7. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
8. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
9. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
10. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about the religious content of LEVIATHAN. Tell in detail whether you found those parts of the book something you agree with, find objectionable, or simply boring. Cite passages from the book to illustrate your points.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)