|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Hobbes give to support his idea that just banding together is not enough for protection?
2. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
3. Why do people want to make a covenant and select sovereigns?
4. Why does law need interpretation?
5. How may a commonwealth be formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
2. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
3. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
4. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
5. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
6. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
7. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
8. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
9. How does Hobbes extol the idea of the commonwealth?
10. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)