Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
5. How must a counselor speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
6. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
7. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
Write a critique of LEVIATHAN. In this paper give a brief synopsis, the parts you found most interesting, and the parts (if any) you found objectionable. Conclude with your recommendation on whether it is a good read for those who are interested in political philosophy.
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)