|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes describe his compound imagination?
2. Why does Hobbes say the multitude cannot protest against the sovereign?
3. What example does Hobbes give as a meaningless combination of words?
4. How does Hobbes say a commonwealth is taken by acquisition?
5. What is Hobbes' position on mothers and their children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
2. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
3. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
4. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
5. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
6. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
7. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
8. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
9. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
10. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Obliquely in the book, Hobbes seems to be defending the English monarchy. Write a paper pointing out how the religious part of the book might also have been a defense of the Church of England. Describing some of the facts about the origins of the Church of England, how do the part of the book attacking the Catholic church fit into that picture?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Hobbes' idea that everything actually belongs to the sovereign of a commonwealth. Does your house and all your possessions belong to the government? Write your paper as an argument for or against that idea.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)