|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
2. To be sure one has found reason, what is necessary?
3. What does Hobbes say are the three types of commonwealth?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about self-protection in natural law?
5. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
2. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
3. How does Hobbes say people reason?
4. How does Hobbes illustrate what he calls compound imagination?
5. Why does Hobbes insist that the people cannot protest against a sovereign?
6. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
7. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
8. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
9. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
10. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining how you think books on political philosophy do or do not benefit society. In the paper, see if you can identify ideas in Hobbes' book that have been used by politicians since his time.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
In Hobbes' political philosophy, the only valid reason for taking up arms against a sovereign is for self protection. Write your paper based on Hitler's taking over Germany and the plight of the Jews and other minorities his persecuted. Hobbes' theory is that the people thus under such a sovereign are constrained to obey the laws of the sovereign first.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)