|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
2. How does Hobbes suggest that people reason?
3. How does Hobbes describe his compound imagination?
4. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
5. Which two forms of government need not worry about succession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
2. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
3. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
4. What is Hobbes' view of money?
5. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
6. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
7. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
8. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
9. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
10. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper explaining how you think books on political philosophy do or do not benefit society. In the paper, see if you can identify ideas in Hobbes' book that have been used by politicians since his time.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)