|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a fundamental interest on the part of a counselor?
2. What option does Hobbes say everyone has?
3. How does Hobbes classify discourse that cannot be proven?
4. When does Hobbes suggest it is not logical to follow the Golden Rule?
5. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
2. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
3. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
4. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
5. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
6. How does Hobbes illustrate what he calls compound imagination?
7. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
8. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
9. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
10. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on imagination. Hobbes discredits most imagination as foolishness like coupling the concept of a man and a horse to come up with the idea of a centaur. Take the opposite position and write about how imagination is good and what it has given to the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on whether you agree with Hobbes that the power of the sovereign cannot be challenged. Think in terms of sovereign powers today and what they are like when the right of challenge is removed from the people.
Essay Topic 3
Write your opinion about the religious content of LEVIATHAN. Tell in detail whether you found those parts of the book something you agree with, find objectionable, or simply boring. Cite passages from the book to illustrate your points.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)