|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes define liberty?
2. Where can a monarch go for advice?
3. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
4. What does Hobbes define as moral virtues?
5. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
2. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
3. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
4. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
5. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
6. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
7. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
8. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
9. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
10. How does Hobbes define justice?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the absence of law in nature as supposed by Hobbes. Explain if you think man is basically evil and can only be controlled by fear. If that is the case, how would you explain people getting together to form a commonwealth.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)