Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
5. How must a counselor speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
6. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
7. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper explaining how you think books on political philosophy do or do not benefit society. In the paper, see if you can identify ideas in Hobbes' book that have been used by politicians since his time.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)