|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
2. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
3. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
4. Which two forms of government need not worry about succession?
5. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
2. How does Hobbes describe a despotic dominion?
3. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
4. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
5. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
6. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
7. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
8. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
9. What is Hobbes' view of money?
10. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how the political condition of the times may have influenced Hobbes' thinking. You may need to do a bit of research into the times and how Hobbes, once in great favor with the nobility, had fallen out of their favor.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)