|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
2. What is needed to be able to judge what is just or unjust?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
5. What needs to be given to the shy people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
2. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
3. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
4. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
5. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
6. How does Hobbes differentiate between command and counsel?
7. How does Hobbes define justice?
8. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
9. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
10. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of LEVIATHAN. In this paper give a brief synopsis, the parts you found most interesting, and the parts (if any) you found objectionable. Conclude with your recommendation on whether it is a good read for those who are interested in political philosophy.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper giving your opinion about the place of religion in any society. Discuss your opinion of state sponsored religion as opposed to a system that tolerates all religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on education. People are to this day accusing universities of poisoning the minds of our young people. Explain why you think so many people fear higher education, philosophy, and modern science.
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)