Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
5. How must a counselor speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
6. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
7. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
Essay Topic 1
Write your opinion about the religious content of LEVIATHAN. Tell in detail whether you found those parts of the book something you agree with, find objectionable, or simply boring. Cite passages from the book to illustrate your points.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the subject of self protection and not incriminating oneself. In a court of law, what do most people assume when someone takes the 5th Amendment and refuses to answer a question? How could you improve on that legal protection?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper describing what you think the ideal commonwealth would be like. In the paper, discuss how peace in the community would be maintained and how the commonwealth would be protected. Also mention your idea of the rights the citizens would enjoy.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)