Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
5. How must a counselor speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
6. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
7. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on Hobbes' idea that everything actually belongs to the sovereign of a commonwealth. Does your house and all your possessions belong to the government? Write your paper as an argument for or against that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Hobbes' obvious preference for a monarchy but lumps all types of sovereignty together in his book. In this essay discuss Hobbes as either a consummate diplomat or a political opportunist. This is not verifiable historically and will be your opinion only after reading his book.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the effectiveness of punishments to control a commonwealth. How has that been carried to unreasonable extreme by such regimes as Saddam Hussein in Iraq? What, in your opinion, are the most effective punishments?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)