|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the people expected to do?
(a) make more money for the sovereign so greater shows can be put on
(b) abstain from violence, private revenges, robbing, and violating their neighbors
(c) demonstrate agains the sovereign when they do not agree with the laws
(d) obey only the laws that make sense to them
2. How does it become difficult to be obedient to both God and sovereign?
(a) if there is a corrupt leader interested in his own private gains
(b) if the sovereign is not a Christian
(c) if the sovereign has no right to rule
(d) if the sovereign gives everyting away
3. What does Hobbes identify as a "confederacy of deceivers" who go around poisoning the minds of other people and extinguishing their faith in nature, the gospel, and God?
(a) the house of wax
(b) the Kingdom of Darkness
(c) the life after death
(d) the time before fire
4. What does Hobbes call the worship of images?
5. If he so wishes, what is a king allowed to do?
(a) to authorize mass executions of innocent people
(b) become the Pope
(c) to authorize the New Testament into civil law
(d) to go to war with non-believers in the name of God
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobbes identify as the first sovereign of the commonwealth of the faithful?
2. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
3. What does Hobbes call an evil inflicted on a person who has usurped or forged his or her power?
4. When does Hobbes say there is no crime?
5. What practices of the Roman Church does Hobbes take exception to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
2. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
3. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
4. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
5. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
6. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
7. What complication does Hobbes see in obeying the sovereign and God at the same time?
8. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
9. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
10. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)