|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a problem people have of understanding the Kingdom of Darkness?
(a) the misinterpretation of it in the Scripture
(b) no one talks about it
(c) there is no information about it
(d) to speak about it is to die
2. Who are the subjects in the Kingdom of God?
(a) only angels and heavenly choirs
(b) all men who have made a pact with him to be part of his Kingdom
(c) all people preselected for membership
(d) everyone all over the world
3. How does Hobbes suggest the idea of philosophy began to grow?
(a) People had not heard about God.
(b) People wanted to feel self-important.
(c) People even started small schools of philosophical thought.
(d) Philosophy became a part of public school curriculum.
4. What is the meaning of excommunication?
(a) walking instead of riding
(b) forgetting how to communicate
(c) becoming disassociated from other Christians
(d) talking with a former spouse
5. How does Hobbes define obedience to the laws?
(a) not sinning, as well as being charitable and loving
(b) not doing anything that can be witnessed
(c) keeping clear of the officials
(d) making sure you do not know what the law is
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes call the worship of images?
2. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
3. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
4. Who is a person who speaks directly to God and is a predictor of the future according to Hobbes?
5. In discussing a Christian Commonwealth, what does Hobbes have to say about Holy Scriptures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
2. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
3. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
4. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
5. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
6. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
7. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
8. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
9. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
10. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)