|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the ways in which, according to Hobbes, people can worship God?
(a) building great churches in the commonwealth
(b) self flagilations and mortifications
(c) through prayer, giving thanks, sacrifices and oblations
(d) animal sacrifices and giving of tithes
2. Who does Hobbes say began the notion of demons and it spread to many cultures?
(a) the Hindus
(b) the Greeks
(c) the heathens
(d) the Egyptians
3. What does Hobbes identify as security against all evil, sickness, and death?
(a) the joys of eternal life and salvation
(c) wealth and prosperity
(d) public welfare
4. What must punishment focus on?
(a) making the subject feel happy
(b) correction and not revenge
(c) not making the punishment fit the crime
(d) capital and non-capital methods
5. What does Hobbes identify as heathen teaching?
(a) destroying all idols and religious icons
(b) demons, fairies, phantasms and mistaking consecration for conjuration
(c) believing in miracles
(d) accepting on faith what you cannot see or know as a fact
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the first priority of the sovereign?
2. What does Hobbes say the goal of the Bible is?
3. Who is a person who speaks directly to God and is a predictor of the future according to Hobbes?
4. Why do few people ever hear the word of God to believe or reject it according to Hobbes?
5. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
2. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
3. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
4. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
5. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
6. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
7. What is Hobbes' position on religious statues and icons?
8. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
9. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
10. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)