|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
(a) the Golden Rule
(b) the Prophets
(c) the Ten Commandments
(d) the Word of God
2. Why do few people ever hear the word of God to believe or reject it according to Hobbes?
(a) Most people will not go to hear a sermon.
(b) People cannot always understand the Latin Bible.
(c) It is illegal to teach the word in most places.
(d) God only speaks to one or very few to spread his word.
3. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
(a) James, Jude, and Song of Solomon
(b) Amos, Obadiah, and I John
(c) Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and Samuel
(d) Exra, Nehemiah, I Peter
4. How does Hobbes suggest the idea of philosophy began to grow?
(a) Philosophy became a part of public school curriculum.
(b) People even started small schools of philosophical thought.
(c) People wanted to feel self-important.
(d) People had not heard about God.
5. What does Hobbes describe as an external sign of God's special workings on their hearts so that afterwards they teach the Word of God?
(a) the Holy spirit
(c) the Rapture
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of excommunication?
2. In addition to the Spirit of God, what other ethereal beings does Hobbes mention?
3. What does Hobbes say is God's right to establish His laws?
4. What does Hobbes say is granted to Christians who are good citizens of their commonwealth?
5. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
2. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
3. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
4. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
5. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
6. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
7. How does Hobbes define a church?
8. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
9. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
10. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)