|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an angel?
(a) a messenger of God
(b) a dragon
(c) a winged horse
(d) an hallucination
2. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
(a) the Word of God
(b) the Ten Commandments
(c) the Prophets
(d) the Golden Rule
3. When does Hobbes say there is no crime?
(a) if there is sin but no criminal intent, there is no crime
(b) if the sin is not identified as important
(c) if it is not detected, there is no crime
(d) if there is no civil law, there is no crime
4. What does Hobbes say is God's right to establish His laws?
(a) His irresistible and incomprehensible power
(b) His dominance over all other gods
(c) His ability to shoot lightning bolts at men
(d) His ability to change the weather
5. What does Hobbes say only God knows?
(a) how many countries there are in the world
(b) Whether is it necessary for a person to die
(c) where to find the written word of God
(d) what happens to the soul of a person when he dies
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
2. What Catholic teaching does Hobbes object to?
3. Where does the Pope have a right to command according to Hobbes?
4. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
5. What does Hobbes say is the basis for a Christian Commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
3. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
4. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
5. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
6. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
7. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
8. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
9. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
10. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)