|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobbes say inspiration is used in Scripture?
(a) as a fiction
(b) as an excuse
(c) as a ruse
(d) as a metaphor
2. How does Hobbes classify the desire for absolute power?
(a) as natural
(b) as good for the commonwealth
(c) as an illness
(d) as a fungus
3. What does Hobbes say is granted to Christians who are good citizens of their commonwealth?
(a) eternal life
(b) freedom from earthly laws
(c) great riches on earth
(d) rulership of the earth
4. To what does Hobbes compare the dissolution of a commonwealth?
(a) an intestine disorder
(b) poor hygiene
(c) an attack of the flu
5. What beliefs of the Roman Catholic church does Hobbes add to his list of objections?
(a) exorcism, ghosts, purgatory and fictitious miracles
(b) Bible reading, children's classes, and regular worship
(c) living ones religion, taking communion, and singing
(d) preaching, missionary work, and evangelism
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must speak of the same God in which all Christians believe?
2. Where does the Pope have a right to command according to Hobbes?
3. What does Hobbes say is the foundation for all articles of faith?
4. What is an angel?
5. What did the Israelites eventually want to do with their sovereignty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
3. How does Hobbes define a church?
4. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
5. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
6. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
7. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
8. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
9. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
10. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)