|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Abraham, with whom did God renew the covenant?
(a) David, Solomon, and Herod
(b) Pete, Paul, and Mary
(c) Pharoah, Nebvucadnezzar, and Caesar
(d) Isaac, Jacob, and Moses
2. If he so wishes, what is a king allowed to do?
(a) to authorize mass executions of innocent people
(b) to authorize the New Testament into civil law
(c) to go to war with non-believers in the name of God
(d) become the Pope
3. Why do few people ever hear the word of God to believe or reject it according to Hobbes?
(a) God only speaks to one or very few to spread his word.
(b) People cannot always understand the Latin Bible.
(c) Most people will not go to hear a sermon.
(d) It is illegal to teach the word in most places.
4. What does Hobbes mean when he says something must be strange and uncommon so people can believe it is the true work of God?
(a) a meditation
(b) a messenger
(c) a miracle
(d) a migraine
5. What does Hobbes identify as heathen teaching?
(a) accepting on faith what you cannot see or know as a fact
(b) believing in miracles
(c) destroying all idols and religious icons
(d) demons, fairies, phantasms and mistaking consecration for conjuration
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some ways Hobbes describes the Spirit of God?
2. What does Hobbes caution the English Parliament not to do?
3. How does Hobbes define punishment?
4. What does Hobbes call an evil inflicted on a person who has usurped or forged his or her power?
5. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)