|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has responsibility for seeing that others are educated in the law?
(a) parents and the universities
(b) nurses and lawyers
(c) clergimen and philosophers
(d) the assembly or the multitude
2. What does Hobbes say is the purpose of punishment?
(a) to keep the criminals off the streets
(b) to show who is boss
(c) to prevent people from breaking the law
(d) to have a public entertainment when someone is flogged
3. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
(a) because otherwise people are in danger of being unjustly arrested
(b) because he can confuse the people otherwise
(c) because he had nothing better to do with his time
(d) because the people will then know how intelligent he is
4. Why is faith so important?
(a) It is part of the Christian ritual.
(b) It identifies a believer.
(c) One cannot know if the Scriptures are real.
(d) It makes it possible to see Jesus.
5. Who cannot perform a miracle?
(a) an apostle of Christ
(b) a true believer in God
(c) a devil, angel, or other spirit
(d) a prophet of God
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
2. What, according to Hobbes, is the first priority of the sovereign?
3. What is the punishment of exile?
4. Who does Hobbes identify as ecclesiasticals?
5. How does Hobbes classify the desire for absolute power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
2. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
3. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
4. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
5. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
6. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
7. What does Hobbes conclude about the Scriptures?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
10. What does Hobbes identify as the Christian Commonwealth?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)