|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
(a) Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and Samuel
(b) James, Jude, and Song of Solomon
(c) Exra, Nehemiah, I Peter
(d) Amos, Obadiah, and I John
2. What does Hobbes say is the basis for a Christian Commonwealth?
(a) putting priests and bishops in charge of government
(b) the principles of Christian politics
(c) eliminating all who do not believe in Christ
(d) mandatory Bible reading in school
3. Who does Hobbes say began the notion of demons and it spread to many cultures?
(a) the Greeks
(b) the heathens
(c) the Hindus
(d) the Egyptians
4. What was Hobbes' great objection to Aristotle's view of law?
(a) Interpretation of the law is not open to public forum or discussion.
(b) Law is absolutely necessary for any commonwealth.
(c) The law should be inflexible and only be changed by a sovereign.
(d) Men should have the freedom to interpret laws and that men govern and not the law.
5. What does Hobbes identify as security against all evil, sickness, and death?
(a) public welfare
(b) the joys of eternal life and salvation
(c) wealth and prosperity
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a problem people have of understanding the Kingdom of Darkness?
2. What does Hobbes say only God knows?
3. How does Hobbes define punishment?
4. Why, according to Hobbes, is it necessary to believe God is Infinite?
5. Why does Hobbes suggest popular figures could be a danger to the commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
2. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
3. What power does the sovereign have over the church according to Hobbes?
4. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
5. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
6. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
7. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
8. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
9. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
10. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)