|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must punishment focus on?
(a) correction and not revenge
(b) making the subject feel happy
(c) not making the punishment fit the crime
(d) capital and non-capital methods
2. Who does Hobbes identify as ecclesiasticals?
(a) the original twelve apostles
(b) mystics from the East
(c) those who are ordained to speak of the word of God.
(d) those opposed to the Christian Commonwealth
3. What does Hobbes identify as heathen teaching?
(a) believing in miracles
(b) demons, fairies, phantasms and mistaking consecration for conjuration
(c) destroying all idols and religious icons
(d) accepting on faith what you cannot see or know as a fact
4. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
(a) the Golden Rule
(b) the Prophets
(c) the Word of God
(d) the Ten Commandments
5. How does Hobbes classify the teaching of Greek and Roman philosophers?
(a) as the most improtant innovation in ancient education
(b) as faulty logic and false commentaries such as that of Aristotle and Cicero
(c) as revolutionary ways of looking at God more clearly
(d) as the basis for understanding the bible
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
2. What does Hobbes identify as security against all evil, sickness, and death?
3. What does Hobbes say only God knows?
4. Who has responsibility for seeing that others are educated in the law?
5. Who cannot perform a miracle?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)