|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
(a) James, Jude, and Song of Solomon
(b) Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and Samuel
(c) Amos, Obadiah, and I John
(d) Exra, Nehemiah, I Peter
2. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
(a) Some may be prophets only for a short time.
(b) Some people may try to pass themselves off as a prophet for their own gain.
(c) Some may be too powerful and miraculous to trust.
(d) Some may not understand what God wants them to say.
3. What does Hobbes say is the foundation for all articles of faith?
(a) Being able to read
(b) Belief in Jesus Christ
(c) Listening to the sovereign
(d) Hearing different ideas about religion
4. Who are the subjects in the Kingdom of God?
(a) all people preselected for membership
(b) only angels and heavenly choirs
(c) all men who have made a pact with him to be part of his Kingdom
(d) everyone all over the world
5. What example does Hobbes give as a crime that is not a crime?
(a) to steal to survive if all other means of getting food are used first
(b) to beat a wife who disobeys
(c) to kill a child born with a deformity
(d) to take back something that belonged first to you
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes think takes reason away from young men?
2. What does Hobbes call a crime?
3. For what is it required to pay a certain price God is willing to accept?
4. Who must speak of the same God in which all Christians believe?
5. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
2. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
3. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
4. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
5. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
6. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
7. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
8. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
9. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
10. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)