|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
(a) Without the commonwealth there is no freedom of religion.
(b) God wants all people to obey the laws of their nation.
(c) The commonwealth may vote to forbid religion.
(d) One can see the commonwealth but cannot see God.
2. Unless an ecclesiastical is also a king, what can he not do?
(a) order obedience
(b) lead a church
(c) teach the Bible
(d) work miracles
3. Who has responsibility for seeing that others are educated in the law?
(a) nurses and lawyers
(b) clergimen and philosophers
(c) the assembly or the multitude
(d) parents and the universities
4. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
(a) Exra, Nehemiah, I Peter
(b) Amos, Obadiah, and I John
(c) James, Jude, and Song of Solomon
(d) Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and Samuel
5. After Abraham, with whom did God renew the covenant?
(a) David, Solomon, and Herod
(b) Pete, Paul, and Mary
(c) Isaac, Jacob, and Moses
(d) Pharoah, Nebvucadnezzar, and Caesar
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
2. What does Hobbes say the Scripture says regarding demons?
3. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
4. To what does Hobbes compare the dissolution of a commonwealth?
5. Why is faith so important?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
2. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. How does Hobbes define a church?
5. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
6. What does Hobbes have to say about sin and crime?
7. What complication does Hobbes see in obeying the sovereign and God at the same time?
8. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
9. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
10. From what source does Hobbes insist the idea of demons came?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)