|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the end result of worshiping?
(a) hole in the knees of trousers
(b) mental exercise
(c) showing superiority
(d) giving someone power
2. What are the ways in which, according to Hobbes, people can worship God?
(a) animal sacrifices and giving of tithes
(b) building great churches in the commonwealth
(c) self flagilations and mortifications
(d) through prayer, giving thanks, sacrifices and oblations
3. What does Hobbes refer to by the name of Tartarus?
(a) where dragons and monsters come from
(b) where the Apostle Paul was born and raised
(c) where non-believers are swallowed into a bottomless pit
(d) enemies of God who come from the East
4. In discussing a Christian Commonwealth, what does Hobbes have to say about Holy Scriptures?
(a) They were written by different writers.
(b) They come from the sovereign.
(c) They were written on tablets of stone.
(d) They are not good for making a commonwealth.
5. What is an angel?
(a) a messenger of God
(b) an hallucination
(c) a winged horse
(d) a dragon
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has responsibility for seeing that others are educated in the law?
2. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
3. What is one instance when a crime cannot be punished?
4. What does Hobbes caution the English Parliament not to do?
5. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
3. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
4. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
5. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
6. How does Hobbes attack the Roman Catholic Church as well as Greek philosophers?
7. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
8. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
9. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
10. What does Hobbes have to say about the desire for absolute power?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)