|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes call a crime?
(a) a sin which consists of doing what is forbidden by law
(b) a sin that obeys an unjust law
(c) a sin that is done in the darkness
(d) a sin which is intended whether committed or not
2. What is an angel?
(a) a messenger of God
(b) a dragon
(c) a winged horse
(d) an hallucination
3. Who does Hobbes say can never be excommunicated?
(a) a woman
(b) a sovereign
(c) an ecclesiastical
(d) a judge
4. According to Hobbes, how does God declare His laws?
(a) by dreams and astrology
(b) by tablets of stone and natural disasters
(c) by natural reason, revelation, and prophecy
(d) by loud voices from the skys
5. How does Hobbes suggest the idea of philosophy began to grow?
(a) Philosophy became a part of public school curriculum.
(b) People wanted to feel self-important.
(c) People had not heard about God.
(d) People even started small schools of philosophical thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. In discussing a Christian Commonwealth, what does Hobbes have to say about Holy Scriptures?
2. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
3. What beliefs of the Roman Catholic church does Hobbes add to his list of objections?
4. What was Hobbes' great objection to Aristotle's view of law?
5. Who cannot perform a miracle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
2. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
3. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
4. What complication does Hobbes see in obeying the sovereign and God at the same time?
5. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
6. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
7. What is Hobbes' position on crime and personal survival?
8. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
9. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
10. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)