|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is it required to pay a certain price God is willing to accept?
(a) unlimited abundance
(b) peaceful life
2. How does Hobbes classify the desire for absolute power?
(a) as a fungus
(b) as natural
(c) as good for the commonwealth
(d) as an illness
3. What does Hobbes say is the first of four causes of spiritual darkness?
(a) not knowing or studying the scriptures correctly
(b) corrupt ecclesiatics
(c) not wanting to know bad news
(d) accepting false teaching without question
4. What is the punishment of exile?
(a) when a person is banished from the commonwealth
(b) when a person is put in prison
(c) when a person's property is confiscated
(d) when a person is discredited and shamed
5. Who does Hobbes identify as the Supreme Prophet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do few people ever hear the word of God to believe or reject it according to Hobbes?
2. How does Hobbes classify the teaching of Greek and Roman philosophers?
3. What is the meaning of excommunication?
4. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
5. Who does Hobbes say can never be excommunicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
2. What does Hobbes have to say about angels?
3. What is Hobbes' idea about honoring God?
4. What is Hobbes' definition of the Kingdom of Darkness?
5. Who does Hobbes identify as belonging to the Kingdom of God?
6. Briefly identify Hobbes' definition of the opposite of God.
7. What does Hobbes say happens to one who does not believe in God?
8. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
9. How does Hobbes define a church?
10. What is Hobbes' opinion of philosophy?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)