|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes call the blood flow of a commonwealth?
(a) voting rights
(c) military power
2. Who does Hobbes insist is of the greatest value to a commonwealth?
(a) the minister
(b) the sovreign
(c) the teacher
(d) the banker
3. What can the commonwealth do to check bad behavior of its citizens?
(a) Put power limits on subjects of the nation.
(b) Put everyone into servitude.
(c) Provide everything for the subjects.
(d) Increase the quality of education.
4. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
(a) They have experienced the supernatural.
(b) They have had experience with seances.
(c) They do not know how to think logically.
(d) They believe in astrology.
5. Where can a monarch go for advice?
(a) special elections
(b) counsel he has appointed for that purpose
(c) public opinion polls
(d) only to God
Short Answer Questions
1. When is there nothing illegal or unjust in any action done by anyone?
2. What does Hobbes identify as the two ways one can hold sway over others?
3. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
4. In political systems, what are the two avenues of laws?
5. Where does Hobbes insist people go when they disagree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes differentiate between command and counsel?
2. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
3. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
4. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
5. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
6. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
7. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
8. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
9. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
10. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)