|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two forms of government need not worry about succession?
(a) neither a communist nor an empire
(b) neither a monarchy nor an anarchy
(c) neither a democracy nor an aristocracy
(d) neither a republic nor a dictatorship
2. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
(a) different interests
(b) different abilities
(c) restless desire
3. How does Hobbes say a commonwealth is taken by acquisition?
(a) Adjacent territory is annexed by vote.
(b) People ask to join a bigger commonwealth.
(c) In fear of death, men surrender to the new commonwealth
(d) Money is exchanged for the new territory.
4. When does Hobbes suggest it is not logical to follow the Golden Rule?
(a) in times of war
(b) when there are no other people around
(c) during a natural disaster
(d) when no one else is following it
5. What are some of his voluntary motions?
(a) functions like pulse and respiration
(b) internals like digesting and breathing
(c) feelings like desire, appetite, love and hate
(d) activities like hearing and seeing
Short Answer Questions
1. What are examples of Hobbes' involuntary motions?
2. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
3. What does Hobbes say a person is doing when he stops defending himself?
4. What is the second right of the sovereign?
5. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes extol the idea of the commonwealth?
2. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
3. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
4. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
5. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
6. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
7. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
8. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
9. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
10. How does Hobbes say people reason?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)