|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term he uses for reasoning with another person?
2. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth is born out of human politics?
(a) It is established in obedience, laws, peace, charity and civil society
(b) It is established on scientific principles only.
(c) It is established on a basis of faith in God.
(d) It is established on the basis of the good of the soverign.
3. When a multitude becomes one group, what must they select?
(a) a set of rules, regulations, and by-laws
(b) the furniture that is appropriate for a group
(c) a representative who is trusted by all the group members
(d) an appropriate meeting place large enough to accomodate all
4. What does Hobbes say people are either born with or develop?
(a) personalities and names
(b) hair and fingernails
(c) fingers and toes
(d) appetites and aversions
5. What does Hobbes identify as the two ways one can hold sway over others?
(a) charisma and intelligence
(b) counsel and command
(c) money and gifts
(d) power and control
Short Answer Questions
1. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
2. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
3. What kind of idea does Hobbes classify as good wit?
4. What does Hobbes accept when peace is impossible?
5. When does Hobbes suggest it is not logical to follow the Golden Rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
2. In what ways does Hobbes say a person can be punished?
3. How does Hobbes define a church?
4. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
5. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
6. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
7. What does Hobbes have to say about ministers of the ecclesiastical?
8. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
9. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
10. What does Hobbes call a spirit?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)