|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can it be said that each man in a group has a voice?
(a) because no deaf mute is allowed to participate
(b) because they get to speak one by one
(c) because their representative shares their same opinions
(d) because they all speak in unison
2. How may a commonwealth be formed?
(a) the first is by natural force or acquisition and the second is by mutual agreement.
(b) the first is by election and the second is by popularity
(c) the first is by inheritance and the second is by accident
(d) the first is by experience and the second is by heredity
3. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
(b) different interests
(c) different abilities
(d) restless desire
4. How does Hobbes classify discourse that cannot be proven?
5. What is a counselor's disadvantage in speaking only to one man?
(a) He can be attacked.
(b) He can be misquoted.
(c) He can be more forceful.
(d) He can be interrupted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are examples of Hobbes' involuntary motions?
2. Why must people create a covenant or agreement to give power to one person, or small group of people?
3. What is Hobbes' idea about self-protection in natural law?
4. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
5. What are some of his voluntary motions?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
2. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
3. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
4. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
5. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
6. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
7. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
8. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
9. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
10. How does Hobbes say people reason?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)