|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
(a) All commodities naturally belong to the sovereign.
(b) People own what they work for.
(c) Only native commodities belong to the sovereign.
(d) Nobody owns commodities in a commonwealth.
2. What does Hobbes say people are either born with or develop?
(a) appetites and aversions
(b) fingers and toes
(c) personalities and names
(d) hair and fingernails
3. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
(a) different interests
(b) different abilities
(d) restless desire
4. What does Hobbes say ends a discourse?
(a) A person runs out of anything to say.
(b) A person grows tired of talking and shuts up.
(c) A person learns the answer to a question or he/she gives up.
(d) A person speaks a different language.
5. When does Hobbes suggest it is not logical to follow the Golden Rule?
(a) during a natural disaster
(b) when no one else is following it
(c) in times of war
(d) when there are no other people around
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can a monarch go for advice?
2. What is Hobbes' only conditionality regarding all people being created equal?
3. How does Hobbes define a monarchy?
4. What are some of his voluntary motions?
5. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth is born out of human politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
2. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
3. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
4. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
5. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
6. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
7. How does Hobbes differentiate between command and counsel?
8. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
9. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
10. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)