|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
(a) A book of political philosophy
(b) A science fiction book
(c) A book about comparative religion
(d) A book about large fish
2. What does Hobbes say about controlling thoughts?
(a) People learn to do it at an early age.
(b) People cannot always do it.
(c) Thought should not be controlled.
(d) The commonwealth controls thoughts.
3. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
(a) restless desire
(b) different interests
(c) different abilities
4. What results are there when an actor makes a contract?
(a) The author is not bound to it.
(b) The author is also bound.
(c) The contract is invalid.
(d) The contract must be approved.
5. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
(a) As helpless
(b) As actors
(c) As uneducated
(d) As dummies
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
2. What happens in an assembly that cannot happen with a monarch?
3. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
4. Why does Hobbes say that virtue is comparative?
5. How may a commonwealth be formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
2. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
3. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
4. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
5. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
6. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
7. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
8. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
9. Why does Hobbes insist that the people cannot protest against a sovereign?
10. How does Hobbes define justice?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)