|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
(a) A book about large fish
(b) A book of political philosophy
(c) A book about comparative religion
(d) A science fiction book
2. What results are there when an actor makes a contract?
(a) The contract is invalid.
(b) The contract must be approved.
(c) The author is not bound to it.
(d) The author is also bound.
3. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
(a) They are never understood.
(b) They are improper.
(c) They are useful.
(d) They cost too much.
4. What is a fundamental interest on the part of a counselor?
(a) to hide his motives
(b) for the good of those that he counsels
(c) to get his own way
(d) to deceive the people
5. What example does Hobbes give to support his idea that just banding together is not enough for protection?
(a) Two families joined are not powerful enough to combat three families.
(b) A hundred rabbits can scare a hunter.
(c) A flock of birds cannot defeat the cat.
(d) Twenty sheep cannot fight off a pack of wolves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes define as moral virtues?
2. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
3. Why does law need interpretation?
4. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
5. In his comparison of the commonwealth to the body, what does Hobbes identify as the role of the sovereign?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
2. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
3. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
4. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
5. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
6. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
7. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
8. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
9. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
10. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)