|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes call the blood flow of a commonwealth?
(c) military power
(d) voting rights
2. Where does Hobbes insist people go when they disagree?
(a) To a priest
(b) To a teacher
(c) To a judge
(d) To the boxing ring
3. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
(a) hunger, alcohol, and hedonism
(b) personality, education, and drive
(c) pride, sloth, and gluttany
(d) competition, harmful shyness, and vain glory
4. What is the first right of a sovereign power?
(a) the right to remain in power
(b) the right to live in a palace
(c) the right to keep changing the laws to its advantage
(d) the right to own slaves
5. How does Hobbes define a pact or covenant?
(a) when something is sold or traded
(b) when money changes hands
(c) when something is transferred or traded for future payment
(d) when any promise is made
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes identify as three basic human fears?
2. How can it be said that each man in a group has a voice?
3. What two factors does Hobbes believe control mental discourse?
4. How does Hobbes describe his compound imagination?
5. What example does Hobbes give as a meaningless combination of words?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
2. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
3. What is Hobbes' view of money?
4. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
5. How does Hobbes define justice?
6. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
7. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
8. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
9. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
10. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)