|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes say a person is doing when he stops defending himself?
(a) surrendering his life and his possessions
(b) doing the right thing
(c) practicing the Golden Rule
(d) depending on the commonwealth
2. What does Hobbes say are the three types of commonwealth?
(a) common, formal and independent
(b) monarchies, democracies and aristocracies
(c) high, low and mediocre
(d) dictatorships, republics and anarchies
3. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
(b) different abilities
(c) restless desire
(d) different interests
4. What is the second right of the sovereign?
(a) The sovereign may travel as often as necessary.
(b) The sovereign cannot be forced to go to war.
(c) The sovereign can name all successors.
(d) The sovereign cannot be forfeited.
5. What is the sovereign power, whether it is an individual or an assembly?
(a) the representative of the commonwealth
(b) the senate
(c) the courts
(d) a king and his court
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes define injustice of an action?
2. What can the commonwealth do to check bad behavior of its citizens?
3. How does Hobbes suggest that people reason?
4. What kinds of questions does Hobbes say people have little interest in?
5. What does Hobbes call the blood flow of a commonwealth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
2. How does Hobbes say people reason?
3. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
4. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
5. How does Hobbes extol the idea of the commonwealth?
6. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
7. What does Hobbes say about having an aversion to something people know nothing about?
8. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
9. What is Hobbes' view of money?
10. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)