|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sovereign power, whether it is an individual or an assembly?
(a) the courts
(b) a king and his court
(c) the representative of the commonwealth
(d) the senate
2. When many people first get together, what are they called?
(a) A hodge podge
(b) A gaggle
(c) A multitude
(d) A mob
3. What two systems does Hobbes define within a commonwealth?
(a) tyranny and ordinary
(b) private and political
(c) open and closed
(d) democrat and republican
4. How does Hobbes define injustice of an action?
(c) a lawsuit
5. Why does Hobbes say the multitude cannot protest against the sovereign?
(a) They will be beheaded.
(b) They have no voice.
(c) They will destroy the commonwealth.
(d) They voluntarily entered into the covenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his comparison of the commonwealth to the body, what does Hobbes identify as the role of the sovereign?
2. What does Hobbes say people are either born with or develop?
3. How can it be said that each man in a group has a voice?
4. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
5. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
2. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
3. Describe briefly Hobbes' contract of a commonwealth.
4. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
5. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
6. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
7. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
8. How does Hobbes illustrate what he calls compound imagination?
9. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
10. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)