|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are examples of Hobbes' involuntary motions?
(a) breathing, blood flow, and other bodily functions
(b) writing, feeling, and sleeping
(c) thinking, eating, and reading
(d) planning, acting, and rejoicing
2. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
(a) to scientific researsh
(b) to ghosts and spirits
(c) to God and religion
(d) to imagination
3. What does Hobbes identify as three basic human fears?
(a) fear of work, being social, and talking too much
(b) fear of snakes, spideers, and scorpions
(c) fear of the dark, the weather, and wild animals
(d) fear of being robbed, raped, or ousted from their homes
4. What is a counselor's disadvantage in speaking only to one man?
(a) He can be interrupted.
(b) He can be misquoted.
(c) He can be attacked.
(d) He can be more forceful.
5. Where does Hobbes insist people go when they disagree?
(a) To a priest
(b) To a judge
(c) To a teacher
(d) To the boxing ring
Short Answer Questions
1. In political systems, what are the two avenues of laws?
2. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth is born out of human politics?
3. What example does Hobbes give as a meaningless combination of words?
4. What needs to be given to the shy people?
5. When does Hobbes suggest it is not logical to follow the Golden Rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
2. How does Hobbes illustrate what he calls compound imagination?
3. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
4. What is one advantage Hobbes sees in a monarchy?
5. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
6. What is Hobbes' definition of author?
7. In any political situation, what does Hobbes identify as a basic right?
8. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
9. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
10. How does Hobbes identify skepticism in regards to belief?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)