|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hobbes say it is natural for the mother to have dominion over children?
(a) They have dominion over nothing else.
(b) It is not always known who the father is.
(c) They are naturals at discipline.
(d) They need children in case the husband dies.
2. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
(a) to imagination
(b) to God and religion
(c) to ghosts and spirits
(d) to scientific researsh
3. When many people first get together, what are they called?
(a) A multitude
(b) A gaggle
(c) A mob
(d) A hodge podge
4. What is needed to be able to judge what is just or unjust?
5. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
(a) A science fiction book
(b) A book about large fish
(c) A book about comparative religion
(d) A book of political philosophy
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must people create a covenant or agreement to give power to one person, or small group of people?
2. What are some of his voluntary motions?
3. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
4. How does Hobbes define injustice of an action?
5. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes differentiate between command and counsel?
2. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
3. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
4. How does Hobbes define justice?
5. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
6. How does Hobbes say that a group may be classified as an author?
7. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
8. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
9. Why does Hobbes insist that the people cannot protest against a sovereign?
10. How does Hobbes define a church?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)