|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
(a) They are never understood.
(b) They cost too much.
(c) They are useful.
(d) They are improper.
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
(a) personality, education, and drive
(b) pride, sloth, and gluttany
(c) hunger, alcohol, and hedonism
(d) competition, harmful shyness, and vain glory
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
(a) having a high IQ
(b) having natural innocence
(c) having natural wit or a quick imagination
(d) having insight into spiritual matters
4. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
(a) Only native commodities belong to the sovereign.
(b) All commodities naturally belong to the sovereign.
(c) Nobody owns commodities in a commonwealth.
(d) People own what they work for.
5. How must a counselor speak?
(a) loudly so he can be heard at the back of the group
(b) with a lot of repetition so his points sink in
(c) angrily so that the group will fear him
(d) truthfully and concisely without using too many confusing and eloquent words
Short Answer Questions
1. What needs to be given to the shy people?
2. What does Hobbes say people are either born with or develop?
3. What option does Hobbes say everyone has?
4. Why does Hobbes say it is natural for the mother to have dominion over children?
5. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, according to Hobbes, is the one thing that must be believed?
2. How does Hobbes define a prophet?
3. Briefly describe Hobbes' idea of punishment.
4. What does Hobbes say about popularity?
5. What is a main mistake Hobbes says religious people make?
6. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
7. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth comes first?
8. What is a leader supposed to do in addition to establishing punishments?
9. What does Hobbes suggest is the first priority of a sovereign?
10. What does Hobbes believe about judicial interpretation?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)