|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
(a) Offer plans for governing change
(b) Last for days or even months
(c) Excite the multitude to create change
(d) Serve no useful purpose
2. What is Hobbes' idea about ownership of commodities in a commonwealth?
(a) People own what they work for.
(b) Only native commodities belong to the sovereign.
(c) Nobody owns commodities in a commonwealth.
(d) All commodities naturally belong to the sovereign.
3. What is an example of Hobbes' unprovable discourse?
(a) the law of gravity
(b) if God exists or not
(c) which way the wind blows
(d) whether cows talk
4. What is the sovereign's right in legal matters?
(a) the right to deny legal process to anyone he shooces
(b) the right to judge all controversies between his people
(c) the right to confiscate property when two or more subjects cannot get along
(d) the right to make decisions basked on his mood
5. What is the sovereign power, whether it is an individual or an assembly?
(a) the senate
(b) a king and his court
(c) the representative of the commonwealth
(d) the courts
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes call the blood flow of a commonwealth?
2. What are some of his voluntary motions?
3. How does Hobbes describe his compound imagination?
4. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
5. Why does law need interpretation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hobbes say a person can increase intellectual virtue?
2. How does Hobbes say competition comes into human relations?
3. What does Hobbes say about rights in the natural world?
4. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
5. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
6. How does Hobbes define justice?
7. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
8. Why does Hobbes say that people fear other people?
9. What is Hobbes idea of people being created equal?
10. How does Hobbes say people reason?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)