|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What needs to be given to the shy people?
(a) an economic bailout package
(b) laws to prevent their abuse
(c) large amounts of financial aid
(d) encouragement to get out and attain what the others have
2. What seems to be a contradiction in Hobbes' attitude toward protest?
(a) People can legally protest but they can only do it openly.
(b) People can protest but they cannot organize.
(c) People cannot protest but they can camgaign for change.
(d) People are legally able to protest a political system, but not against the sovereign.
3. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
(a) People can use evil means to get power.
(b) People can be deceived.
(c) People can be electrocuted.
(d) People cannot achieve it.
4. What does Hobbes identify as the two ways one can hold sway over others?
(a) counsel and command
(b) money and gifts
(c) charisma and intelligence
(d) power and control
5. When a multitude becomes one group, what must they select?
(a) the furniture that is appropriate for a group
(b) a set of rules, regulations, and by-laws
(c) an appropriate meeting place large enough to accomodate all
(d) a representative who is trusted by all the group members
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
2. Why does law need interpretation?
3. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about self-protection in natural law?
5. How does Hobbes say a commonwealth is taken by acquisition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy?
2. How does Hobbes define justice?
3. What are the three sovereignties Hobbes defines?
4. Why does Hobbes insist that the people cannot protest against a sovereign?
5. Relate Hobbes' examples of a contract or a covenant.
6. How does Hobbes define the origins of religion?
7. Briefly, what does Hobbes have to say about lawful and unlawful systems?
8. What are the two ways Hobbes says a commonwealth is created?
9. Give Hobbes' idea about how much a country needs individuals.
10. In what way does Hobbes warn against errors in logic or speech?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)