|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an angel?
(a) a messenger of God
(b) a dragon
(c) an hallucination
(d) a winged horse
2. Why do few people ever hear the word of God to believe or reject it according to Hobbes?
(a) People cannot always understand the Latin Bible.
(b) It is illegal to teach the word in most places.
(c) God only speaks to one or very few to spread his word.
(d) Most people will not go to hear a sermon.
3. What two things does Hobbes say are necessary to be received into the Kingdom of God?
(a) swearing allegiance and kissing a ring
(b) bowing down and kissing the ground
(c) taking instruction and passing a test
(d) obeying both God and the sovereign simultaneously
4. How does it become difficult to be obedient to both God and sovereign?
(a) if the sovereign gives everyting away
(b) if there is a corrupt leader interested in his own private gains
(c) if the sovereign has no right to rule
(d) if the sovereign is not a Christian
5. What does Hobbes identify as security against all evil, sickness, and death?
(a) the joys of eternal life and salvation
(c) wealth and prosperity
(d) public welfare
6. What is one instance when a crime cannot be punished?
(a) an act is committed before there was a law forbidding it
(b) an act is claimed to be by order of the sovereign
(c) a perpetrator is incapable of knowing right and wrong
(d) the crime has not been discovered
7. What are the people expected to do?
(a) obey only the laws that make sense to them
(b) demonstrate agains the sovereign when they do not agree with the laws
(c) make more money for the sovereign so greater shows can be put on
(d) abstain from violence, private revenges, robbing, and violating their neighbors
8. What is the meaning of excommunication?
(a) becoming disassociated from other Christians
(b) talking with a former spouse
(c) forgetting how to communicate
(d) walking instead of riding
9. What is the end result of worshiping?
(a) hole in the knees of trousers
(b) mental exercise
(c) showing superiority
(d) giving someone power
10. What does Hobbes call a crime?
(a) a sin that obeys an unjust law
(b) a sin which consists of doing what is forbidden by law
(c) a sin which is intended whether committed or not
(d) a sin that is done in the darkness
11. Where does the Pope have a right to command according to Hobbes?
(a) all over the world
(b) in his own territories where he is the sovereign
(c) on the throne in the Vatican
(d) when the sovereign abdicates
12. What does Hobbes say is God's right to establish His laws?
(a) His ability to shoot lightning bolts at men
(b) His dominance over all other gods
(c) His ability to change the weather
(d) His irresistible and incomprehensible power
13. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
(a) holding trials too quickly after a crime has been charged
(b) searches of a person's homes
(c) a person is injured by public authority without public condemnation
(d) indictment after very long investigations
14. What, according to Hobbes, is the first priority of the sovereign?
(a) to ensure the safety of the people
(b) to build spnendid palaces
(c) to become known by other sovereigns
(d) to demand respect
15. What Catholic teaching does Hobbes object to?
(a) the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus
(b) the Holy Trinity
(c) changing the bread and wine to the actual body and blood of Christ
(d) baptism to become a Christian
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes classify the desire for absolute power?
2. How does Hobbes suggest the idea of philosophy began to grow?
3. Who does Hobbes say can never be excommunicated?
4. What does Hobbes say is the foundation for all articles of faith?
5. Why do God's miracles never go against the sovereign?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)