|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is the foundation for all articles of faith?
(a) Being able to read
(b) Belief in Jesus Christ
(c) Hearing different ideas about religion
(d) Listening to the sovereign
2. In addition to the Spirit of God, what other ethereal beings does Hobbes mention?
(c) aerial bodies such as angels
3. Who has responsibility for seeing that others are educated in the law?
(a) the assembly or the multitude
(b) parents and the universities
(c) clergimen and philosophers
(d) nurses and lawyers
4. Why, according to Hobbes, is it necessary to believe God is Infinite?
(a) The finite has an end and God does not.
(b) God is a concept and not a person.
(c) God will accept nothing less.
(d) It is the only way to understand who God is.
5. What does Hobbes say is a problem people have of understanding the Kingdom of Darkness?
(a) there is no information about it
(b) the misinterpretation of it in the Scripture
(c) to speak about it is to die
(d) no one talks about it
6. What must punishment focus on?
(a) correction and not revenge
(b) capital and non-capital methods
(c) not making the punishment fit the crime
(d) making the subject feel happy
7. Why is faith so important?
(a) It is part of the Christian ritual.
(b) One cannot know if the Scriptures are real.
(c) It makes it possible to see Jesus.
(d) It identifies a believer.
8. What two things does Hobbes say are necessary to be received into the Kingdom of God?
(a) bowing down and kissing the ground
(b) swearing allegiance and kissing a ring
(c) taking instruction and passing a test
(d) obeying both God and the sovereign simultaneously
9. Who must speak of the same God in which all Christians believe?
(b) any soverign
10. How does Hobbes say people can poison others and thus promote the dissolution of the commonwealth?
(a) with bad doctrines
(b) wit arsenic
(c) with religion
(d) with tainted drinking water
11. What example does Hobbes give as a crime that is not a crime?
(a) to take back something that belonged first to you
(b) to beat a wife who disobeys
(c) to kill a child born with a deformity
(d) to steal to survive if all other means of getting food are used first
12. What is the name of a place later called Hell?
13. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
(a) because otherwise people are in danger of being unjustly arrested
(b) because he can confuse the people otherwise
(c) because he had nothing better to do with his time
(d) because the people will then know how intelligent he is
14. Who are the subjects in the Kingdom of God?
(a) all people preselected for membership
(b) everyone all over the world
(c) only angels and heavenly choirs
(d) all men who have made a pact with him to be part of his Kingdom
15. What is the meaning of excommunication?
(a) walking instead of riding
(b) becoming disassociated from other Christians
(c) talking with a former spouse
(d) forgetting how to communicate
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes call a crime?
2. What does Hobbes call a sin?
3. In discussing a Christian Commonwealth, what does Hobbes have to say about Holy Scriptures?
4. What are some Biblical books Hobbes says are written about certain people and not written by them?
5. Who is it that Hobbes says belong to the Kingdom of God?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)