|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results are there when an actor makes a contract?
(a) The contract must be approved.
(b) The author is also bound.
(c) The contract is invalid.
(d) The author is not bound to it.
2. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
(a) They do not know how to think logically.
(b) They have had experience with seances.
(c) They have experienced the supernatural.
(d) They believe in astrology.
3. What is the sovereign's right in legal matters?
(a) the right to deny legal process to anyone he shooces
(b) the right to make decisions basked on his mood
(c) the right to confiscate property when two or more subjects cannot get along
(d) the right to judge all controversies between his people
4. What option does Hobbes say everyone has?
(a) to live or die
(b) to live in misery or happiness
(c) to work or play
(d) to talk or be quiet
5. How does Hobbes define injustice of an action?
(b) a lawsuit
6. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
(a) They are useful.
(b) They are improper.
(c) They are never understood.
(d) They cost too much.
7. What does Hobbes say are the three types of commonwealth?
(a) dictatorships, republics and anarchies
(b) common, formal and independent
(c) monarchies, democracies and aristocracies
(d) high, low and mediocre
8. What does Hobbes say about controlling thoughts?
(a) Thought should not be controlled.
(b) The commonwealth controls thoughts.
(c) People cannot always do it.
(d) People learn to do it at an early age.
9. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
(a) competition, harmful shyness, and vain glory
(b) pride, sloth, and gluttany
(c) hunger, alcohol, and hedonism
(d) personality, education, and drive
10. How may a commonwealth be formed?
(a) the first is by election and the second is by popularity
(b) the first is by experience and the second is by heredity
(c) the first is by natural force or acquisition and the second is by mutual agreement.
(d) the first is by inheritance and the second is by accident
11. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
(a) As dummies
(b) As uneducated
(c) As helpless
(d) As actors
12. What is the sovereign power, whether it is an individual or an assembly?
(a) the courts
(b) a king and his court
(c) the representative of the commonwealth
(d) the senate
13. What does Hobbes identify as three basic human fears?
(a) fear of snakes, spideers, and scorpions
(b) fear of being robbed, raped, or ousted from their homes
(c) fear of the dark, the weather, and wild animals
(d) fear of work, being social, and talking too much
14. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
(a) People can use evil means to get power.
(b) People can be deceived.
(c) People cannot achieve it.
(d) People can be electrocuted.
15. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
(a) to imagination
(b) to ghosts and spirits
(c) to God and religion
(d) to scientific researsh
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hobbes' only conditionality regarding all people being created equal?
2. What does Hobbes call the intention to do wrong or harm another?
3. How does Hobbes classify a person who speaks for himself?
4. How does Hobbes say a commonwealth is taken by acquisition?
5. Why do people want to make a covenant and select sovereigns?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)