|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
(a) They have had experience with seances.
(b) They do not know how to think logically.
(c) They believe in astrology.
(d) They have experienced the supernatural.
2. Why does Hobbes contend that no sovereign can do wrong to anyone under his authority?
(a) There is divine Right of Kings.
(b) The sovereign is led by God.
(c) They entered into the contract to create the sovereign.
(d) The sovereign is exempt from making mistakes.
3. How does Hobbes say a commonwealth is taken by acquisition?
(a) People ask to join a bigger commonwealth.
(b) Money is exchanged for the new territory.
(c) In fear of death, men surrender to the new commonwealth
(d) Adjacent territory is annexed by vote.
4. What is an example of Hobbes' unprovable discourse?
(a) which way the wind blows
(b) the law of gravity
(c) if God exists or not
(d) whether cows talk
5. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
(a) Excite the multitude to create change
(b) Serve no useful purpose
(c) Offer plans for governing change
(d) Last for days or even months
6. What is the sovereign's right in legal matters?
(a) the right to confiscate property when two or more subjects cannot get along
(b) the right to deny legal process to anyone he shooces
(c) the right to judge all controversies between his people
(d) the right to make decisions basked on his mood
7. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
(a) when they go to prison
(b) when it does not cost them anything
(c) when they are given other freedoms in return
(d) to seek protection for their lives and those of their family
8. What needs to be given to the shy people?
(a) encouragement to get out and attain what the others have
(b) an economic bailout package
(c) laws to prevent their abuse
(d) large amounts of financial aid
9. What is Hobbes' only conditionality regarding all people being created equal?
(a) Some may be better looking than others.
(b) Some may be born into money.
(c) Some may be taller than others.
(d) Some may be stronger or smarter than others.
10. What does the commonwealth need to successfully control the society?
(a) power over people to administer punishments
(b) ample money to maintain the economy
(c) the cooperation of neighboring principalities
(d) important welfare programs to help the poor
11. What does Hobbes call a dominion acquired by conquest?
12. How must a counselor speak?
(a) loudly so he can be heard at the back of the group
(b) with a lot of repetition so his points sink in
(c) angrily so that the group will fear him
(d) truthfully and concisely without using too many confusing and eloquent words
13. What is a fundamental interest on the part of a counselor?
(a) to hide his motives
(b) to get his own way
(c) for the good of those that he counsels
(d) to deceive the people
14. Who does Hobbes insist is of the greatest value to a commonwealth?
(a) the minister
(b) the sovreign
(c) the banker
(d) the teacher
15. Why does Hobbes say it is natural for the mother to have dominion over children?
(a) They need children in case the husband dies.
(b) They are naturals at discipline.
(c) They have dominion over nothing else.
(d) It is not always known who the father is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does law need interpretation?
2. Why do people want to make a covenant and select sovereigns?
3. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
4. How may a commonwealth be formed?
5. What example does Hobbes give to support his idea that just banding together is not enough for protection?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)