|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3 Chapter 38.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes identify as security against all evil, sickness, and death?
(a) the joys of eternal life and salvation
(b) wealth and prosperity
(d) public welfare
2. What does Hobbes mean when he says something must be strange and uncommon so people can believe it is the true work of God?
(a) a miracle
(b) a meditation
(c) a migraine
(d) a messenger
3. What is the name of a place later called Hell?
4. To be sure one has found reason, what is necessary?
(a) It must stand the test of time.
(b) All affirmations and negations must be considered.
(c) The soverign must be consulted.
(d) The negations must be discarded.
5. How must a counselor speak?
(a) angrily so that the group will fear him
(b) truthfully and concisely without using too many confusing and eloquent words
(c) loudly so he can be heard at the back of the group
(d) with a lot of repetition so his points sink in
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term he uses for reasoning with another person?
2. What kinds of questions does Hobbes say people have little interest in?
3. What is the second right of the sovereign?
4. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
5. What is Hobbes' idea about self-protection in natural law?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)