|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes call an evil inflicted on a person who has usurped or forged his or her power?
(a) might makes right
(b) necessary punishment
(c) an act of hostility
(d) a vigilante form of government
2. Why must a sovereign publish and instruct people about his laws?
(a) because he had nothing better to do with his time
(b) because the people will then know how intelligent he is
(c) because otherwise people are in danger of being unjustly arrested
(d) because he can confuse the people otherwise
3. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
(a) Like a steam engine
(b) Like an artificial man
(c) Like a church
(d) Like an army
4. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
(c) the inevitability of death
5. How does Hobbes classify discourse that cannot be proven?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do counsels for the aristocracy generally do?
2. Why, according to Hobbes, is it necessary to believe God is Infinite?
3. What is Hobbes' position on mothers and their children?
4. In political systems, what are the two avenues of laws?
5. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)