|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 20 & 21.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two forms of government need not worry about succession?
(a) neither a monarchy nor an anarchy
(b) neither a republic nor a dictatorship
(c) neither a communist nor an empire
(d) neither a democracy nor an aristocracy
2. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
(a) competition, harmful shyness, and vain glory
(b) pride, sloth, and gluttany
(c) hunger, alcohol, and hedonism
(d) personality, education, and drive
3. What is needed to be able to judge what is just or unjust?
4. What does the commonwealth need to successfully control the society?
(a) the cooperation of neighboring principalities
(b) ample money to maintain the economy
(c) power over people to administer punishments
(d) important welfare programs to help the poor
5. When is there nothing illegal or unjust in any action done by anyone?
(a) when there are guidelines
(b) when there is no commonwealth
(c) when no one is looking
(d) when the commonwealth is too spread out
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say about controlling thoughts?
2. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
3. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
4. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
5. Why does Hobbes contend that no sovereign can do wrong to anyone under his authority?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)