|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can the commonwealth do to check bad behavior of its citizens?
(a) Increase the quality of education.
(b) Put power limits on subjects of the nation.
(c) Provide everything for the subjects.
(d) Put everyone into servitude.
2. Why must people create a covenant or agreement to give power to one person, or small group of people?
(a) It is not possible to assemble all the people all the time.
(b) Too many cooks spoil the broth.
(c) Some think too highly of themselves or blow things out of proportion.
(d) That is the natural way of doing things.
3. What is Hobbes' only conditionality regarding all people being created equal?
(a) Some may be taller than others.
(b) Some may be better looking than others.
(c) Some may be stronger or smarter than others.
(d) Some may be born into money.
4. What does Hobbes accept when peace is impossible?
5. Why does Hobbes say men will give up some of their freedoms?
(a) when it does not cost them anything
(b) when they go to prison
(c) when they are given other freedoms in return
(d) to seek protection for their lives and those of their family
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes classify intellectual virtue?
2. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
3. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
4. How does Hobbes define a pact or covenant?
5. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)