|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobbes see the commonwealth?
(a) Like an army
(b) Like an artificial man
(c) Like a church
(d) Like a steam engine
2. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
(a) People can use evil means to get power.
(b) People can be deceived.
(c) People cannot achieve it.
(d) People can be electrocuted.
3. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth is born out of human politics?
(a) It is established on the basis of the good of the soverign.
(b) It is established in obedience, laws, peace, charity and civil society
(c) It is established on scientific principles only.
(d) It is established on a basis of faith in God.
4. What is the second right of the sovereign?
(a) The sovereign may travel as often as necessary.
(b) The sovereign cannot be forfeited.
(c) The sovereign can name all successors.
(d) The sovereign cannot be forced to go to war.
5. What does Hobbes call the intention to do wrong or harm another?
(a) injustice before the action is carried out
(b) nothing illegal
(c) absence of forethought
(d) a bad idea
Short Answer Questions
1. What two factors does Hobbes believe control mental discourse?
2. When a multitude becomes one group, what must they select?
3. Where does Hobbes insist people go when they disagree?
4. How does Hobbes classify a person who speaks for himself?
5. How does Hobbes classify the person or group of people who have someone speak for them?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)