|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobbes define a pact or covenant?
(a) when any promise is made
(b) when money changes hands
(c) when something is transferred or traded for future payment
(d) when something is sold or traded
2. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
(a) People are like animals.
(b) People believe in the supernatural.
(c) People can think.
(d) People are restless.
3. What is an example of Hobbes' unprovable discourse?
(a) whether cows talk
(b) if God exists or not
(c) the law of gravity
(d) which way the wind blows
4. What are some of his voluntary motions?
(a) internals like digesting and breathing
(b) activities like hearing and seeing
(c) feelings like desire, appetite, love and hate
(d) functions like pulse and respiration
5. What kind of idea does Hobbes classify as good wit?
(a) one so unique that nobody else would have thought of it
(b) one that produces only good results
(c) one open to argument and debate
(d) one that everyone can agree to
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
2. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
3. What does Hobbes accept when peace is impossible?
4. Why does Hobbes insist that the commonwealth is born out of human politics?
5. What, left uncontrolled, does Hobbes say can lead to misery and unhappiness?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)