|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hobbes' only conditionality regarding all people being created equal?
(a) Some may be taller than others.
(b) Some may be stronger or smarter than others.
(c) Some may be born into money.
(d) Some may be better looking than others.
2. What can the commonwealth do to check bad behavior of its citizens?
(a) Put power limits on subjects of the nation.
(b) Put everyone into servitude.
(c) Provide everything for the subjects.
(d) Increase the quality of education.
3. What example does Hobbes give as a meaningless combination of words?
(a) gentle giant
(b) holy war
(c) easy labor
(d) round square
4. How does Hobbes define a pact or covenant?
(a) when something is transferred or traded for future payment
(b) when money changes hands
(c) when any promise is made
(d) when something is sold or traded
5. To what does Hobbes say people attribute that which is unknown?
(a) to ghosts and spirits
(b) to God and religion
(c) to imagination
(d) to scientific researsh
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hobbes classify discourse that cannot be proven?
2. What kind of idea does Hobbes classify as good wit?
3. What does Hobbes say a person is doing when he stops defending himself?
4. What two factors does Hobbes believe control mental discourse?
5. What does Hobbes say leads to competition among people?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)