|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapters 11 & 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes say ends a discourse?
(a) A person learns the answer to a question or he/she gives up.
(b) A person speaks a different language.
(c) A person runs out of anything to say.
(d) A person grows tired of talking and shuts up.
2. How does Hobbes suggest that people reason?
(a) By counting on fingers and toes
(b) By first getting burned
(c) By mathematical equations
(d) By adding or subtracting two thoughts
3. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
(a) People cannot achieve it.
(b) People can use evil means to get power.
(c) People can be electrocuted.
(d) People can be deceived.
4. How does Hobbes describe his compound imagination?
(a) Like seeing a dog and a cat and imagining a kangaroo
(b) Like seeing a carriage and a house and imagining a train
(c) Like seeing an appl and an orange and imagining a melon
(d) Like seeing a man and a horse and imagining a centaur
5. What is an example of Hobbes' unprovable discourse?
(a) if God exists or not
(b) which way the wind blows
(c) the law of gravity
(d) whether cows talk
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hobbes say that having friends, followers, and servants is the greatest power?
2. What type of book is LEVIATHAN?
3. To be sure one has found reason, what is necessary?
4. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
5. What kind of idea does Hobbes classify as good wit?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)