|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobbes suggest that people reason?
(a) By mathematical equations
(b) By counting on fingers and toes
(c) By first getting burned
(d) By adding or subtracting two thoughts
2. When a multitude becomes one group, what must they select?
(a) a representative who is trusted by all the group members
(b) an appropriate meeting place large enough to accomodate all
(c) a set of rules, regulations, and by-laws
(d) the furniture that is appropriate for a group
3. When many people first get together, what are they called?
(a) A gaggle
(b) A mob
(c) A hodge podge
(d) A multitude
4. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
5. What does Hobbes say is needed to protect people from danger?
(a) civil laws
(b) strong churches
(c) a strong militia
(d) a choice of weapons
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes say a person is doing when he stops defending himself?
2. What is the term he uses for reasoning with another person?
3. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
4. Why does Hobbes say that people attribute the unknown to ghosts, spirits, or other things that can never exist?
5. Who does Hobbes insist is of the greatest value to a commonwealth?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)