|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hobbes define a pact or covenant?
(a) when something is sold or traded
(b) when money changes hands
(c) when something is transferred or traded for future payment
(d) when any promise is made
2. What does Hobbes call reasoning with oneself?
3. What kinds of questions does Hobbes say people have little interest in?
(a) things that have absolute answers like math and science
(b) things that involve faith
(c) things that have to do with the supernatural
(d) things that have no known answers
4. Why does Hobbes say that people are always seeking more power, wealth, or popularity?
(a) People believe in the supernatural.
(b) People can think.
(c) People are restless.
(d) People are like animals.
5. How does Hobbes suggest that people reason?
(a) By mathematical equations
(b) By first getting burned
(c) By adding or subtracting two thoughts
(d) By counting on fingers and toes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hobbes insist is of the greatest value to a commonwealth?
2. What does Hobbes think of using metaphors?
3. Why does Hobbes say that having friends, followers, and servants is the greatest power?
4. When many people first get together, what are they called?
5. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)