|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 28.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes say is a hostile and illegal act by the authority?
(a) searches of a person's homes
(b) indictment after very long investigations
(c) a person is injured by public authority without public condemnation
(d) holding trials too quickly after a crime has been charged
2. What two systems does Hobbes define within a commonwealth?
(a) democrat and republican
(b) tyranny and ordinary
(c) private and political
(d) open and closed
3. Why can passion for power be dangerous?
(a) People can be electrocuted.
(b) People cannot achieve it.
(c) People can use evil means to get power.
(d) People can be deceived.
4. How may a commonwealth be formed?
(a) the first is by election and the second is by popularity
(b) the first is by natural force or acquisition and the second is by mutual agreement.
(c) the first is by inheritance and the second is by accident
(d) the first is by experience and the second is by heredity
5. What does the commonwealth need to successfully control the society?
(a) ample money to maintain the economy
(b) important welfare programs to help the poor
(c) the cooperation of neighboring principalities
(d) power over people to administer punishments
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Hobbes give to support his idea that just banding together is not enough for protection?
2. What does Hobbes accept when peace is impossible?
3. Why must people create a covenant or agreement to give power to one person, or small group of people?
4. What is Hobbes' idea about self-protection in natural law?
5. What does Hobbes say is the purpose of punishment?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)