|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3 Chapters 36 & 37.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes mean when he says something must be strange and uncommon so people can believe it is the true work of God?
(a) a miracle
(b) a meditation
(c) a migraine
(d) a messenger
2. What warning does Hobbes give about prophets?
(a) Some may not understand what God wants them to say.
(b) Some may be too powerful and miraculous to trust.
(c) Some people may try to pass themselves off as a prophet for their own gain.
(d) Some may be prophets only for a short time.
3. What does Hobbes mean by anything spoken by God and those concerning Him and his government?
(a) the Golden Rule
(b) the Ten Commandments
(c) the Prophets
(d) the Word of God
4. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
(a) the inevitability of death
5. Why does law need interpretation?
(a) in order to make sure it is not understood
(b) in order to change its meanings
(c) in order to confuse the public
(d) in order to apply it to distinct situations
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes define as moral virtues?
2. What is needed to be able to judge what is just or unjust?
3. What can a man do when speaking to a group?
4. Who does Hobbes identify as the Supreme Prophet?
5. How must a counselor speak?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)