|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3 Chapters 36 & 37.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes mean when he says something must be strange and uncommon so people can believe it is the true work of God?
(a) a miracle
(b) a messenger
(c) a migraine
(d) a meditation
2. Who cannot perform a miracle?
(a) a true believer in God
(b) a devil, angel, or other spirit
(c) an apostle of Christ
(d) a prophet of God
3. What does Hobbes define as moral virtues?
(a) fearing, obeying, ordering, and supplanting
(b) conforming, working, learning, and manufacturing
(c) justice, gratitude, modesty, equity, and mercy
(d) sharing, educating, explaining, and contributing
4. Who is a person who speaks directly to God and is a predictor of the future according to Hobbes?
(a) a soothsayer
(b) a prophet
(c) a vizier
(d) a visionary
5. What does Hobbes call a third law of nature?
(c) the inevitability of death
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does law need interpretation?
2. What does Hobbes call the intention to do wrong or harm another?
3. What does Hobbes identify as the two ways one can hold sway over others?
4. When is there nothing illegal or unjust in any action done by anyone?
5. Who does Hobbes identify as the Supreme Prophet?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)