Part 1 Chapter 1 & 2 | Part 1 Chapters 3 & 4
* Introduction of natural law and the need to give up certain freedoms.
* Hobbes discusses the idea of contract for a commonwealth.
* Hobbes adds a second layer of religion to create the Christian commonwealth.
* Hobbes discusses imagination as simple or compound and how it leads to false ideas.
Part 1 Chapter 5
* Hobbes discusses the idea of reason and how men come to conclusions.
* There is a need for judges to settle differences.
* Hobbes goes into his arguments against metaphorical conclusions that make no sense.
* Learning and trading of ideas is extolled as the pathway of reason.
Part 1 Chapters 6 & 7
* Continuing with his metaphor of the commonwealth as a body, Hobbes discusses motion.
* Hobbes emphasizes appetites and aversions as either innate or developed.
* The end of discourse may be finding an answer, giving up on finding an answer, or mere opinion.
* The source of information makes a difference...
This section contains 1,951 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)