|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a man tell Dennis when Dennis meets him in an electronics store?
2. What does Dennis think is his destiny?
3. How do Dennis' friends reassure him?
4. What is one field Dennis tells the angels he is considering?
5. What do the angels do when Dennis tells them he quit medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennis end up in the hospital?
2. Why does Ipsha leave the classroom in tears and what does she tell Dennis about a person's family's expectations?
3. What does Dennis' father explain about the visions?
4. What is the reaction to Dennis' announcement?
5. What happens when Dennis conducts a prostate exam on a patient?
6. How do the four friends drift away from studying together?
7. What happens to Dennis in microbiology class on Monday?
8. How does Dennis escape his room and what do the angels do?
9. What does Kat say about Dennis' belief in his destiny to become a Gastroenterologist, and what does Dennis think about her words?
10. What are some confused thoughts Dennis is having about his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Level Up" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Level Up"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Level Up" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful graphic novel? Are they different?
2. Analyze and discuss "Level Up" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Level Up" is a successful graphic novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is a graphic novel as opposed to a full text novel? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Level Up' a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Level Up" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)