|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the angels doing when Dennis gets back to his apartment?
2. How do Dennis' friends reassure him?
3. Why are the angels angry when Dennis gets home?
4. What picture was on the card Dennis' father gave him for high school graduation?
5. What were the ghosts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dennis' mother say about her health and Dennis' studies?
2. Why does Ipsha leave the classroom in tears and what does she tell Dennis about a person's family's expectations?
3. What does Kat say about Dennis' belief in his destiny to become a Gastroenterologist, and what does Dennis think about her words?
4. What is the reaction to Dennis' announcement?
5. What does Dennis' father explain about the visions?
6. What does Dennis decide and what does he not look forward to doing?
7. What does Dennis decide as he is sitting at his desk thinking about the angels' attacks?
8. What happens when Dennis confronts the angel-ghosts?
9. What is another vision Dennis has when he eats the rest of the ghosts?
10. How does Dennis become closer to his friends and what is Ipsha's reaction to Kat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dennis Ouyang struggled between two cultures. As an Asian American, his father believed in a strong, almost punishing work ethic and eating "bitterness," to build character. By this phrase, his father meant that his children will grow to adulthood possessing a good character and work ethic if they are not spoiled as children. But Dennis was in America and most of his classmates were not Asian.
1. Do you think a strong work ethic builds character? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Mr. Ouyang was too hard on Dennis? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think the way that Mr. Ouyang was raising Dennis was not typical of other, non-Asian Americans? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful graphic novel? Are they different?
2. Analyze and discuss "Level Up" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Level Up" is a successful graphic novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is a graphic novel as opposed to a full text novel? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Level Up' a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
At first Dennis found everything perfect at med school. He met a diverse group of fellow classmates. A girl from India was fulfilling her family tradition by becoming a surgeon. She was satisfied with complying with her family's wishes that she follow in their footsteps. Kat was a more independent person. She thought Dennis should make his own decisions and not get caught up with what his parents wanted him to become. Hector was a former athlete and playboy who learned to become a more serious student after flunking out of Harvard and becoming involved in a car accident in which he was seriously injured.
1. Discuss, in depth, why Ipsha felt the need to become a surgeon to maintain her family tradition. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Kat's attitude was healthier and more mature than Ipsha's? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Compare flunking out of Harvard with being in a car accident and discuss which event you think had more influence on Hector. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)