|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Hector gets drunk one night?
2. For what does Dennis' father apologize?
3. Where were the angels when Dennis is trying to follow his professor's instructions?
4. What does Dennis say he does not have that will prevent him from becoming a doctor?
5. How does Dennis begin his talk with the angels after getting their attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennis become closer to his friends and what is Ipsha's reaction to Kat?
2. What happens to Dennis in microbiology class on Monday?
3. What does Dennis decide as he is sitting at his desk thinking about the angels' attacks?
4. What happens when Dennis confronts the angel-ghosts?
5. What happens to Kat when she is ten years old?
6. What is Dennis mumbling about at the hospital and how do his friends react?
7. How do the four friends drift away from studying together?
8. Who are a couple people Dennis first meets upon starting medical school?
9. How does Dennis escape his room and what do the angels do?
10. What does Dennis realize as he is running?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Level Up". Questions that Yang most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Yang' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Yang' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Yang and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful graphic novel? Are they different?
2. Analyze and discuss "Level Up" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Level Up" is a successful graphic novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is a graphic novel as opposed to a full text novel? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Level Up' a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Level Up" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)