|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Dennis' mother think money should not be used?
2. What does Dennis tell Dr. Rodriguez Dennis needs to improve his academics?
3. Why is Dennis excited on the morning when he goes to open his presents?
4. What does Dennis delay because he is looking at the video game?
5. Who does Takeem say he is in relation to who he says Dennis is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where and what is the first video game Dennis Ouyang ever saw?
2. How does Dr. Rodriguez respond to the angels' request and what makes her change her mind?
3. What does Dennis think about concerning how his downfall at the university begins?
4. How are Dennis' dreams changed from the night after seeing the video game?
5. What does Dennis' mother want to do and what is his father's response?
6. What happens at the arcade one day when a feather floats down and then at a game-playing party?
7. How does Dennis' father explain why Dennis receives a chemistry set for Christmas?
8. What happens as Dennis is walking home from the game-playing party?
9. How does Dennis let his parents know what he wants for Christmas?
10. What do the angels greet Dennis with the morning after seeing Dr. Rodriguez and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Dennis and Hector. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Dennis and his father. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Level Up" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
At first Dennis found everything perfect at med school. He met a diverse group of fellow classmates. A girl from India was fulfilling her family tradition by becoming a surgeon. She was satisfied with complying with her family's wishes that she follow in their footsteps. Kat was a more independent person. She thought Dennis should make his own decisions and not get caught up with what his parents wanted him to become. Hector was a former athlete and playboy who learned to become a more serious student after flunking out of Harvard and becoming involved in a car accident in which he was seriously injured.
1. Discuss, in depth, why Ipsha felt the need to become a surgeon to maintain her family tradition. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Kat's attitude was healthier and more mature than Ipsha's? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Compare flunking out of Harvard with being in a car accident and discuss which event you think had more influence on Hector. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful graphic novel? Are they different?
2. Analyze and discuss "Level Up" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Level Up" is a successful graphic novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is a graphic novel as opposed to a full text novel? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Level Up' a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)