|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dennis' response when he is touched?
2. How does Dennis receive this news he learns from his classmates?
3. What does Dennis demand of his father?
4. What does Dennis envision as the waiter takes the family's orders when they are eating out?
5. What is the topic of one of the notes Dennis' father leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennis Ouyang react to the first video game he sees?
2. What happens two weeks before Dennis graduates from high school and does Dennis respond?
3. What astonishes Dennis when he is in the third grade?
4. What occupies Dennis' mind while they are in the restaurant?
5. What is the result of Dennis' seeing his father's face everywhere?
6. Why can't Dennis play the video game at the convenience store?
7. What does Dennis learn from classmates that excites him and why is he excited?
8. Where and what is the first video game Dennis Ouyang ever saw?
9. How does Dennis' father explain why Dennis receives a chemistry set for Christmas?
10. What does Dennis' mother want to do and what is his father's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Level Up belongs to the graphic novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the graphic novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a writing by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a graphic novel and a regular novel, besides just having illustrations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Dennis was in grief during his early college years. He deflected his pain by playing video games non-stop. Instead of honoring his father by doing well in school as his father would have liked, he did just the opposite. He did so poorly in school that he was kicked out in his junior year. He felt remorseful but still felt lost. He didn't know where to turn to and his confusion and guilt manifested in his imagining that angels from heaven had come to rescue him.
1. Discuss why concentrating on video games could help Dennis with his guilt. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think it was Dennis's responsibility to live the kind of life his father wants him to live? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think enough guilt can make a person imagine events or people who are not real? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)