|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dennis delay because he is looking at the video game?
2. What video game does the convenience store install?
3. How does Dennis receive this news he learns from his classmates?
4. What touches Dennis one day as he is playing at the arcade?
5. Why does Dennis' friend give Dennis a hard time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the arcade one day when a feather floats down and then at a game-playing party?
2. Who are these beings that appear to Dennis and what do they want?
3. How does Dr. Rodriguez respond to the angels' request and what makes her change her mind?
4. What occupies Dennis' mind while they are in the restaurant?
5. What does Dennis do while at the store if no one is playing the video game?
6. What do the angels greet Dennis with the morning after seeing Dr. Rodriguez and what is his response?
7. What is the result of Dennis' seeing his father's face everywhere?
8. What does Dennis learn in a meeting with Dr. Rodriguez in Dennis' junior year?
9. How does Dennis' father explain why Dennis receives a chemistry set for Christmas?
10. What does Dennis begin doing with his time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Level Up". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in "Level Up". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess freedom? Which ones want more freedom? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of guilt in "Level Up". Consider the guilt of both Dennis and his father. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
At first Dennis found everything perfect at med school. He met a diverse group of fellow classmates. A girl from India was fulfilling her family tradition by becoming a surgeon. She was satisfied with complying with her family's wishes that she follow in their footsteps. Kat was a more independent person. She thought Dennis should make his own decisions and not get caught up with what his parents wanted him to become. Hector was a former athlete and playboy who learned to become a more serious student after flunking out of Harvard and becoming involved in a car accident in which he was seriously injured.
1. Discuss, in depth, why Ipsha felt the need to become a surgeon to maintain her family tradition. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think Kat's attitude was healthier and more mature than Ipsha's? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
3. Compare flunking out of Harvard with being in a car accident and discuss which event you think had more influence on Hector. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Level Up" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Level Up is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)