|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Dr. Rodriguez compare Dennis' current performance at school?
2. For what does Dennis' mother think money should not be used?
3. What touches Dennis one day as he is playing at the arcade?
4. What does Dennis envision as the waiter takes the family's orders when they are eating out?
5. Who does Dennis say he is happy to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Dennis is walking home from the game-playing party?
2. What astonishes Dennis when he is in the third grade?
3. Who are these beings that appear to Dennis and what do they want?
4. What occupies Dennis' mind while they are in the restaurant?
5. What does Dennis do while at the store if no one is playing the video game?
6. Where and what is the first video game Dennis Ouyang ever saw?
7. How does Dennis respond to the angels' proclamation?
8. What does Dennis learn from classmates that excites him and why is he excited?
9. Why can't Dennis play the video game at the convenience store?
10. What does Dennis think about concerning how his downfall at the university begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Level Up, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Level Up. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Level Up" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel? What about a successful graphic novel? Are they different?
2. Analyze and discuss "Level Up" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Level Up" is a successful graphic novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is a graphic novel as opposed to a full text novel? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Level Up' a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)