|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dennis' companion(s) react when he encountered his first video arcade game?
2. What champion was Dennis' friend at O'Dowd High School's Anime Club?
3. What does Dennis do as he is moving the joystick on the arcade game even though he has no money?
4. What does Dennis think about when he is with his family after first encountering his first video arcade game?
5. What does Dennis dream after his first encounter with a video arcade game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dennis Ouyang react to the first video game he sees?
2. What occupies Dennis' mind while they are in the restaurant?
3. What astonishes Dennis when he is in the third grade?
4. Where and what is the first video game Dennis Ouyang ever saw?
5. How are Dennis' dreams changed from the night after seeing the video game?
6. How does Dennis let his parents know what he wants for Christmas?
7. What does Dennis learn from classmates that excites him and why is he excited?
8. What happens two weeks before Dennis graduates from high school and does Dennis respond?
9. What is the result of Dennis' seeing his father's face everywhere?
10. How does Dennis respond to the angels' proclamation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Level Up". Questions that Yang most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Yang' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Yang' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Yang and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Over the course of "Level Up", Dennis grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Level Up might be considered a slice of Dennis' larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Level Up is a "bildungsroman" of Dennis Ouyang . Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Dennis as he changes from a more carefree, innocent boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Dennis?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Dennis' growth throughout Level Up, do you think "Level Up" could be considered Dennis' Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Level Up" who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Level Up". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Yang chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Yang chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Yang's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Yang use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme)
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)