|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dennis overhear his mother say she is worried about?
2. Who does Takeem say he is in relation to who he says Dennis is?
3. What video game does the convenience store install?
4. What does Dr. Rodriguez say the university has done too many times?
5. What does the statue say when Dennis asks it for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dennis think about concerning how his downfall at the university begins?
2. How does Dennis' father explain why Dennis receives a chemistry set for Christmas?
3. How does Dennis respond to the angels' proclamation?
4. What happens as Dennis is walking home from the game-playing party?
5. What happens two weeks before Dennis graduates from high school and does Dennis respond?
6. What is the result of Dennis' seeing his father's face everywhere?
7. How are Dennis' dreams changed from the night after seeing the video game?
8. Why can't Dennis play the video game at the convenience store?
9. Why is Dennis on academic probation?
10. What does Dennis learn from classmates that excites him and why is he excited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Level Up belongs to the graphic novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the graphic novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a writing by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a graphic novel and a regular novel, besides just having illustrations?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Level Up". Questions that Yang most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Yang' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Yang' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Yang and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Level Up" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)