|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Rilke compare people who are preparing for God?
2. What does Rilke say is "the most difficult of all our tasks"?
(a) To love another person.
(b) To know God.
(c) To uncover the true self.
(d) To truly embrace solitude.
3. What two aspects of human life does Rilke claim have no explanation?
(a) Birth and death.
(b) Forgiveness and hatred.
(c) Love and art.
(d) Death and love.
4. What does Rilke claim a sadness indicates about a person's life or self?
(a) A loss.
(b) A realization.
(c) A fear.
(d) A transition.
5. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
(a) With thought.
(b) With God.
(c) From external events.
(d) From within individuals.
6. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
(a) It makes love more real.
(b) It makes love more patient.
(c) It makes love more feminine.
(d) It makes love more human.
7. What does the poem enclosed in the seventh letter express a longing for?
(c) Creative talent.
8. Rilke says that as time passes, women will stop doing what?
(a) Falling in love.
(b) Imitating men.
(c) Having children.
(d) Being oppressed.
9. What holiday is Rilke marking with his sixth letter?
(b) All Saints Day.
(d) The New Year.
10. What does Rilke assert about the nature of human existence that he claims is a fact whether we think so or not?
(a) We are creative beings.
(b) We are made in God's image.
(c) We are built to love.
(d) We are solitary.
11. What does Rilke say about careers in the sixth letter?
(a) They help to discipline the individual.
(b) They distance the individual from his or her true self.
(c) They show individuals their true selves.
(d) They provide inspiration for poetry.
12. What does Rilke claim a sadness that enters into the body is in actuality?
(b) A fear.
(c) An unknown.
(d) A realization.
13. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
14. Rilke says that in certain places, the emergence of women is already taking place. Where is this?
(a) The western countries.
(b) The southern countries.
(c) The northern countries.
(d) The eastern countries.
15. From where does Rilke write the fifth letter?
(a) Bremen, Germany.
(b) Florence, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Rome, Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the sixth letter, in what manner does Rilke advise the young poet to be solitary?
2. In what year is the seventh letter written?
3. From where is Rilke's sixth letter written?
4. What does Rilke say about fears in the world in letter eight?
5. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)