|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of sadness does Rilke call "dangerous"?
(a) Sadnesses that are caused by love.
(b) Sadnesses that are caused by feelings of inferiority.
(c) Sadnesses that one suppresses rather than lives.
(d) Sadnesses that are caused by helplessness.
2. What does the poem enclosed in the seventh letter express a longing for?
(b) Creative talent.
3. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
(a) It makes love more human.
(b) It makes love more feminine.
(c) It makes love more patient.
(d) It makes love more real.
4. What does Rilke say is "the most difficult of all our tasks"?
(a) To know God.
(b) To truly embrace solitude.
(c) To love another person.
(d) To uncover the true self.
5. What is the young poet's military rank?
6. From where is Rilke's sixth letter written?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) Bremen, Germany.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Florence, Italy.
7. To what does Rilke compare people who are preparing for God?
8. Who resists the future change in women that Rilke notes in letter seven?
(c) The Church.
9. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
(a) With thought.
(b) With God.
(c) From within individuals.
(d) From external events.
10. Who writes the poem Rilke encloses with his seventh letter?
11. What does Rilke say is wrong with the way most people approach love?
(a) They focus too much on sex.
(b) They forget to value their partners.
(c) They believe it will always be easy.
(d) They abandon their true selves in their passion.
12. Rilke tells the young poet that in regard to his sickness, he is a sick man, a convalescent, and what else?
(a) A shaman.
(b) An illness.
(c) A medicine.
(d) A doctor.
13. Why has it taken so long for Rilke to reply to the young poet with his seventh letter?
(a) Rilke had been ill.
(b) Rilke had forgotten about the letter.
(c) Rilke had been traveling.
(d) Rilke had left the letter in a different city.
14. In whose handwriting does the poem Rilke enclosed with his seventh letter appear?
(a) Professor Horacek's.
(c) Rilke's wife's.
15. In what season is Rilke writing the seventh letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke say about careers in the sixth letter?
2. What does Rilke encourage the young poet to believe about God?
3. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
4. What does the sixth letter reveal about the state of the young poet?
5. What holiday is Rilke marking with his sixth letter?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)