|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rilke delay so long in replying to the young poet's fifth letter?
(a) Rilke does not like to write letters when he is traveling.
(b) The young poet's fifth letter has angered Rilke.
(c) Rilke has been ill.
(d) Rilke leaves the young poet's letter in another city.
2. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
3. In letter five, what statue does Rilke mention is near his place of residence?
(a) A statue of Ovid.
(b) A statue by Rodin.
(c) An equestrian statue of Julius Caesar.
(d) An equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius.
4. At the close of letter seven, what love does Rilke tell the young poet to remember?
(a) The love of Rilke.
(b) The love of nature.
(c) The love of his first experience of solitude.
(d) The love of his parents.
5. What two aspects of human life does Rilke claim have no explanation?
(a) Love and art.
(b) Forgiveness and hatred.
(c) Death and love.
(d) Birth and death.
6. In the sixth letter, in what manner does Rilke advise the young poet to be solitary?
(a) The way a child among adults is solitary.
(b) The way a bird is solitary.
(c) The way a rose is solitary.
(d) The way a horse is solitary.
7. Why does Rilke believe that Rome makes one sad for the first few days of visiting it?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) Its reminders of ages past are oppressive.
(c) It is too busy.
(d) It no longer has its ancient glory.
8. What does Rilke advise the young poet to do if he cannot connect with people?
(a) Identify with nature, animals, and children.
(b) Read more books.
(c) Learn an instrument.
(d) Develop his sense of empathy.
9. What type of poem does Rilke enclose with the seventh letter?
(a) An ode.
(b) An elegy.
(c) An epic.
(d) A sonnet.
10. In what year is the seventh letter written?
11. To what does Rilke compare humans' misunderstanding of destiny in letter eight?
(a) Humans' previous misunderstanding of the motion of the sun.
(b) Humans' misunderstanding of human nature.
(c) Humans' misunderstanding of God.
(d) Humans' misunderstanding of love.
12. In what manner does Rilke say people should approach love?
(a) As students.
(b) As teachers.
(c) As children.
(d) As apprentices.
13. Why has it taken so long for Rilke to reply to the young poet with his seventh letter?
(a) Rilke had forgotten about the letter.
(b) Rilke had been traveling.
(c) Rilke had left the letter in a different city.
(d) Rilke had been ill.
14. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six weeks.
15. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter eight, what does Rilke say the young poet "overvalues"?
2. What does Rilke say is "the most difficult of all our tasks"?
3. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
4. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
5. What does Rilke say is wrong with the way most people approach love?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)