|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rilke say about "the dragons of our lives"?
(a) That they may in fact be princesses.
(b) That they are necessary to make us strong.
(c) That they can be slain.
(d) That they should be cast out of our lives.
2. In letter eight, what does Rilke tell the young poet he must be careful with?
3. What does Rilke say is "the most difficult of all our tasks"?
(a) To uncover the true self.
(b) To know God.
(c) To love another person.
(d) To truly embrace solitude.
4. Rilke says that in certain places, the emergence of women is already taking place. Where is this?
(a) The eastern countries.
(b) The western countries.
(c) The northern countries.
(d) The southern countries.
5. What does Rilke say about careers in the sixth letter?
(a) They distance the individual from his or her true self.
(b) They provide inspiration for poetry.
(c) They help to discipline the individual.
(d) They show individuals their true selves.
6. To what does Rilke compare "dangerous" sadness?
7. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
(a) It makes love more patient.
(b) It makes love more human.
(c) It makes love more real.
(d) It makes love more feminine.
8. What is the young poet's military rank?
9. What does Rilke say is wrong with men?
(a) Men oppress women.
(b) Men undervalue what they love.
(c) Men are too dominant.
(d) Men are too focused on the physical.
10. From where is the seventh letter written?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Bremen, Germany.
(d) Paris, France.
11. In what year is Rilke writing the eighth letter?
12. What does Rilke say is "the only courage demanded of us"?
(a) The courage to be prepared for the unknown or unexpected.
(b) The courage o be solitary.
(c) The courage to love.
(d) The courage to create.
13. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
(a) A union of one with another.
(b) A balance of mental and physical.
(c) A motivation for each person to become wholly him or herself.
(d) A selfless act.
14. What two aspects of human life does Rilke claim have no explanation?
(a) Forgiveness and hatred.
(b) Death and love.
(c) Love and art.
(d) Birth and death.
15. From where is Rilke writing the eighth letter?
(a) Fladie, Sweden.
(b) Jonsered, Sweden.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Rome, Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rilke delay so long in replying to the young poet's fifth letter?
2. Rilke says that eventually women no longer are the opposite of men, but something else. What are they?
3. What does Rilke claim a sadness that enters into the body is in actuality?
4. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
5. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)