|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
(a) It makes love more real.
(b) It makes love more patient.
(c) It makes love more feminine.
(d) It makes love more human.
2. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
3. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
(a) A motivation for each person to become wholly him or herself.
(b) A union of one with another.
(c) A balance of mental and physical.
(d) A selfless act.
4. Why does Rilke believe that Rome makes one sad for the first few days of visiting it?
(a) Its reminders of ages past are oppressive.
(b) It no longer has its ancient glory.
(c) It is too busy.
(d) It is too hot.
5. Who writes the poem Rilke encloses with his seventh letter?
6. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
(a) Six days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
7. What does Rilke say is wrong with men?
(a) Men oppress women.
(b) Men undervalue what they love.
(c) Men are too dominant.
(d) Men are too focused on the physical.
8. In the sixth letter, in what manner does Rilke advise the young poet to be solitary?
(a) The way a bird is solitary.
(b) The way a horse is solitary.
(c) The way a child among adults is solitary.
(d) The way a rose is solitary.
9. From where is Rilke's sixth letter written?
(a) Bremen, Germany.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Rome, Italy.
10. From where is the seventh letter written?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Bremen, Germany.
(d) Paris, France.
11. To what does Rilke compare humans' misunderstanding of destiny in letter eight?
(a) Humans' misunderstanding of God.
(b) Humans' misunderstanding of love.
(c) Humans' previous misunderstanding of the motion of the sun.
(d) Humans' misunderstanding of human nature.
12. In whose handwriting does the poem Rilke enclosed with his seventh letter appear?
(a) Rilke's wife's.
(b) Professor Horacek's.
13. What type of sadness does Rilke call "dangerous"?
(a) Sadnesses that one suppresses rather than lives.
(b) Sadnesses that are caused by feelings of inferiority.
(c) Sadnesses that are caused by love.
(d) Sadnesses that are caused by helplessness.
14. From where does Rilke write the fifth letter?
(a) Rome, Italy.
(b) Florence, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Bremen, Germany.
15. To what does Rilke compare "dangerous" sadness?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the close of the sixth letter, how does Rilke tell the young poet to be?
2. In what year is Rilke writing the eighth letter?
3. What does Rilke say is wrong with the way most people approach love?
4. Who resists the future change in women that Rilke notes in letter seven?
5. In letter eight, what does Rilke tell the young poet he must be careful with?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)