|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who resists the future change in women that Rilke notes in letter seven?
(b) The Church.
2. What does Rilke advise the young poet to do if he cannot connect with people?
(a) Read more books.
(b) Develop his sense of empathy.
(c) Identify with nature, animals, and children.
(d) Learn an instrument.
3. In what year is Rilke writing the eighth letter?
4. What does Rilke tell the young poet to ask himself regarding his religious beliefs?
(a) Whether the young poet truly wants to believe.
(b) Whether the young poet's beliefs are merely conventions.
(c) Whether the young poet has ever truly found God.
(d) Whether the young poet's beliefs are his own.
5. From where is Rilke's sixth letter written?
(a) Bremen, Germany.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Florence, Italy.
6. To what does Rilke compare humans' misunderstanding of destiny in letter eight?
(a) Humans' misunderstanding of love.
(b) Humans' previous misunderstanding of the motion of the sun.
(c) Humans' misunderstanding of God.
(d) Humans' misunderstanding of human nature.
7. From where is the seventh letter written?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Bremen, Germany.
8. What does Rilke claim a sadness that enters into the body is in actuality?
(a) An unknown.
(b) A realization.
(c) A fear.
9. In letter eight, what does Rilke say the young poet "overvalues"?
10. In the sixth letter, in what manner does Rilke advise the young poet to be solitary?
(a) The way a child among adults is solitary.
(b) The way a rose is solitary.
(c) The way a horse is solitary.
(d) The way a bird is solitary.
11. At the close of the sixth letter, how does Rilke tell the young poet to be?
(a) "Be glad and confident."
(b) "Be joyful in art."
(c) "Be one with nature."
(d) "Be happy in solitude."
12. To what does Rilke compare people who are preparing for God?
13. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
(a) A union of one with another.
(b) A motivation for each person to become wholly him or herself.
(c) A balance of mental and physical.
(d) A selfless act.
14. What is the primary topic of the eighth letter?
15. In letter five, what statue does Rilke mention is near his place of residence?
(a) A statue by Rodin.
(b) A statue of Ovid.
(c) An equestrian statue of Julius Caesar.
(d) An equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rilke say individuals can help prepare for God's coming?
2. What does Rilke say humans have grown away from because of their lack of courage?
3. In the fifth letter, Rilke tells the young poet that a package the young poet has sent to him has not arrived. What is in the package?
4. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
5. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)