|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Rilke compare people who are preparing for God?
2. Rilke tells the young poet that in regard to his sickness, he is a sick man, a convalescent, and what else?
(a) A medicine.
(b) A shaman.
(c) An illness.
(d) A doctor.
3. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Six days.
(d) Six weeks.
4. From where does Rilke write the fifth letter?
(a) Paris, France.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Bremen, Germany.
(d) Florence, Italy.
5. What does Rilke tell the young poet to ask himself regarding his religious beliefs?
(a) Whether the young poet's beliefs are merely conventions.
(b) Whether the young poet truly wants to believe.
(c) Whether the young poet has ever truly found God.
(d) Whether the young poet's beliefs are his own.
6. In letter five, to where does Rilke say he is preparing to move?
(a) A hotel.
(b) The city center.
(c) A beach house on the southern coast.
(d) A summer house in a rural area away from the city.
7. In what manner does Rilke say people should approach love?
(a) As apprentices.
(b) As teachers.
(c) As students.
(d) As children.
8. Who writes the poem Rilke encloses with his seventh letter?
9. Why does Rilke believe that Rome makes one sad for the first few days of visiting it?
(a) Its reminders of ages past are oppressive.
(b) It no longer has its ancient glory.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) It is too busy.
10. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
11. What does Rilke say in the seventh letter about things that are difficult?
(a) Things that are difficult are worth doing or experiencing.
(b) Things that are difficult are usually not the things that are best for us.
(c) Things that are difficult should be avoided.
(d) Things that are difficult enhance our discipline.
12. In whose handwriting does the poem Rilke enclosed with his seventh letter appear?
(a) Rilke's wife's.
(c) Professor Horacek's.
13. What does the poem enclosed in the seventh letter express a longing for?
(a) Creative talent.
14. In what manner does Rilke say one must be when one is sad?
(a) Lonely and attentive.
(b) Angry and vocal.
(c) Solitary and depressed.
(d) Dutiful and silent.
15. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
(a) It makes love more feminine.
(b) It makes love more real.
(c) It makes love more human.
(d) It makes love more patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Rilke write the fifth letter?
2. At the end of letter eight, what does Rilke remind the young poet of?
3. Why has it taken so long for Rilke to reply to the young poet with his seventh letter?
4. Rilke compares a person to a house and a sadness to what?
5. In the fifth letter, Rilke tells the young poet that a package the young poet has sent to him has not arrived. What is in the package?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)