|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has it taken so long for Rilke to reply to the young poet with his seventh letter?
(a) Rilke had been traveling.
(b) Rilke had been ill.
(c) Rilke had forgotten about the letter.
(d) Rilke had left the letter in a different city.
2. To what does Rilke compare "dangerous" sadness?
3. At the close of letter seven, what love does Rilke tell the young poet to remember?
(a) The love of his parents.
(b) The love of nature.
(c) The love of his first experience of solitude.
(d) The love of Rilke.
4. What does Rilke claim a sadness indicates about a person's life or self?
(a) A fear.
(b) A loss.
(c) A realization.
(d) A transition.
5. In what manner does Rilke say people should approach love?
(a) As students.
(b) As teachers.
(c) As children.
(d) As apprentices.
6. Rilke tells the young poet that in regard to his sickness, he is a sick man, a convalescent, and what else?
(a) An illness.
(b) A medicine.
(c) A shaman.
(d) A doctor.
7. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
8. Rilke says that as time passes, women will stop doing what?
(a) Being oppressed.
(b) Having children.
(c) Falling in love.
(d) Imitating men.
9. What does Rilke say is wrong with men?
(a) Men undervalue what they love.
(b) Men are too dominant.
(c) Men are too focused on the physical.
(d) Men oppress women.
10. In letter eight, what does Rilke say the young poet "overvalues"?
11. What does Rilke say humans have grown away from because of their lack of courage?
(a) The spiritual aspects of existence.
(c) The creative self.
12. In whose handwriting does the poem Rilke enclosed with his seventh letter appear?
(b) Professor Horacek's.
(c) Rilke's wife's.
13. What does Rilke say about "the dragons of our lives"?
(a) That they can be slain.
(b) That they are necessary to make us strong.
(c) That they should be cast out of our lives.
(d) That they may in fact be princesses.
14. Who writes the poem Rilke encloses with his seventh letter?
15. What does Rilke say is wrong with the way most people approach love?
(a) They believe it will always be easy.
(b) They forget to value their partners.
(c) They abandon their true selves in their passion.
(d) They focus too much on sex.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
2. Who resists the future change in women that Rilke notes in letter seven?
3. How does Rilke say the young poet's career compares to other careers?
4. In what year does Rilke write the fifth letter?
5. What does Rilke say in the seventh letter about things that are difficult?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)