|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
(a) A balance of mental and physical.
(b) A union of one with another.
(c) A motivation for each person to become wholly him or herself.
(d) A selfless act.
2. In what manner does Rilke say one must be when one is sad?
(a) Angry and vocal.
(b) Dutiful and silent.
(c) Solitary and depressed.
(d) Lonely and attentive.
3. Who resists the future change in women that Rilke notes in letter seven?
(b) The Church.
4. What does Rilke say is wrong with men?
(a) Men are too dominant.
(b) Men oppress women.
(c) Men are too focused on the physical.
(d) Men undervalue what they love.
5. To what does Rilke compare people who are preparing for God?
6. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
(a) From within individuals.
(b) With thought.
(c) With God.
(d) From external events.
7. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
8. To what does Rilke compare the realization about the true nature of human existence in letter eight?
(a) A person transported from one country to another.
(b) A person is suddenly taken from his house and placed on top of a mountain.
(c) A person placed in the presence of God.
(d) A single person left after a war.
9. In the fifth letter, Rilke tells the young poet that a package the young poet has sent to him has not arrived. What is in the package?
(a) A book that presents works by the young poet.
(b) A collection of books by Rilke.
(c) A special German cheese.
(d) The young poet's latest manuscript.
10. Rilke compares the existence of each individual to a room. What portion of that room do most people experience?
(a) The doorway.
(b) A single aspect of that room, such as a corner or a window.
(c) The entire room.
(d) The floor.
11. How does Rilke say individuals can help prepare for God's coming?
(a) Through acts of love.
(b) Through religious rituals.
(c) Through prayer.
(d) Through art.
12. In what year is the seventh letter written?
13. Rilke says that as time passes, women will stop doing what?
(a) Falling in love.
(b) Being oppressed.
(c) Having children.
(d) Imitating men.
14. Rilke compares a person to a house and a sadness to what?
(a) A door.
(b) A table.
(c) A yard.
(d) A guest.
15. In what year does Rilke write the fifth letter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke tells the young poet that in regard to his sickness, he is a sick man, a convalescent, and what else?
2. What is the young poet's military rank?
3. What two aspects of human life does Rilke claim have no explanation?
4. In what season is Rilke writing the seventh letter?
5. How does Rilke note that the future change in the role of women affects love?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)