|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of poem does Rilke enclose with the seventh letter?
(a) An elegy.
(b) An ode.
(c) A sonnet.
(d) An epic.
2. What type of sadness does Rilke call "dangerous"?
(a) Sadnesses that are caused by helplessness.
(b) Sadnesses that are caused by feelings of inferiority.
(c) Sadnesses that are caused by love.
(d) Sadnesses that one suppresses rather than lives.
3. In letter five, to where does Rilke say he is preparing to move?
(a) A summer house in a rural area away from the city.
(b) The city center.
(c) A beach house on the southern coast.
(d) A hotel.
4. In what year is Rilke's sixth letter written?
5. At the close of the sixth letter, how does Rilke tell the young poet to be?
(a) "Be happy in solitude."
(b) "Be joyful in art."
(c) "Be one with nature."
(d) "Be glad and confident."
6. Why does Rilke delay so long in replying to the young poet's fifth letter?
(a) Rilke leaves the young poet's letter in another city.
(b) Rilke does not like to write letters when he is traveling.
(c) The young poet's fifth letter has angered Rilke.
(d) Rilke has been ill.
7. How long has Rilke been in the city from which he writes the fifth letter?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six days.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two months.
8. In what manner does Rilke say people should approach love?
(a) As children.
(b) As apprentices.
(c) As students.
(d) As teachers.
9. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
10. At the close of letter eight, what does Rilke tell the poet about people who give him advice?
(a) People who give the young poet advice should look to their own troubles.
(b) People who give the young poet advice have had troubled times in their lives, as well.
(c) The young poet should avoid people who give him advice.
(d) The young poet should be skeptical of people who give him advice.
11. From where does Rilke write the fifth letter?
(a) Bremen, Germany.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Paris, France.
(d) Florence, Italy.
12. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
(a) With God.
(b) From external events.
(c) From within individuals.
(d) With thought.
13. Why does Rilke believe that Rome makes one sad for the first few days of visiting it?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) It no longer has its ancient glory.
(c) Its reminders of ages past are oppressive.
(d) It is too busy.
14. From where is Rilke's sixth letter written?
(a) Bremen, Germany.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Rome, Italy.
15. What does the poem enclosed in the seventh letter express a longing for?
(c) Creative talent.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Rilke compare humans' misunderstanding of destiny in letter eight?
2. At the end of letter eight, what does Rilke remind the young poet of?
3. Rilke compares a person to a house and a sadness to what?
4. What does Rilke claim a sadness that enters into the body is in actuality?
5. In letter five, what statue does Rilke mention is near his place of residence?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)