|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rilke compares a person to a house and a sadness to what?
(a) A table.
(b) A yard.
(c) A guest.
(d) A door.
2. In what manner does Rilke say people should approach love?
(a) As teachers.
(b) As students.
(c) As children.
(d) As apprentices.
3. At the close of letter seven, what love does Rilke tell the young poet to remember?
(a) The love of Rilke.
(b) The love of his first experience of solitude.
(c) The love of nature.
(d) The love of his parents.
4. How does Rilke say the young poet's career compares to other careers?
(a) Rilke says the young poet's career is more distinguished than other careers.
(b) Rilke says that the young poet's career has more conventions than other careers.
(c) Rilke says that the young poet's career is better than other careers because it allows more solitude.
(d) Rilke says that the young poet's career is essentially the same as all other careers.
5. From where is the seventh letter written?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Bremen, Germany.
(d) Paris, France.
6. To what does Rilke compare the realization about the true nature of human existence in letter eight?
(a) A person placed in the presence of God.
(b) A single person left after a war.
(c) A person transported from one country to another.
(d) A person is suddenly taken from his house and placed on top of a mountain.
7. What two aspects of human life does Rilke claim have no explanation?
(a) Forgiveness and hatred.
(b) Love and art.
(c) Birth and death.
(d) Death and love.
8. In what year is the seventh letter written?
9. What does Rilke assert about the nature of human existence that he claims is a fact whether we think so or not?
(a) We are creative beings.
(b) We are made in God's image.
(c) We are solitary.
(d) We are built to love.
10. At the close of letter eight, what does Rilke tell the poet about people who give him advice?
(a) People who give the young poet advice have had troubled times in their lives, as well.
(b) The young poet should be skeptical of people who give him advice.
(c) The young poet should avoid people who give him advice.
(d) People who give the young poet advice should look to their own troubles.
11. In letter seven, what does Rilke say that love should be?
(a) A union of one with another.
(b) A balance of mental and physical.
(c) A selfless act.
(d) A motivation for each person to become wholly him or herself.
12. In what season is Rilke writing the seventh letter?
13. What does Rilke say women have more of than men?
14. What is the young poet's military rank?
15. What famous author does Rilke reference in letter eight?
(a) Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) William Shakespeare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke tells the young poet that in regard to his sickness, he is a sick man, a convalescent, and what else?
2. What does Rilke say is wrong with the way most people approach love?
3. At the close of the sixth letter, what does Rilke advise the young poet to do in regards to the coming holiday?
4. What type of poem does Rilke enclose with the seventh letter?
5. To what does Rilke compare "dangerous" sadness?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)